A good bushcraft/hiking hat!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I am concerned about roasting up under my hat. but surely SA is hot, so no SA hat would be designed in away that makes it unusable in the heat.

You're right to be concerned :)....................the Aussie & South African leather hats are for the tourists & export, the folk living & working outside in those climes have more sense & prefer light coloured felt hats. .....to be honest, leather hats & hot sun do not go together.:D

kenthompson

Feb 15, 2013
Spain
I remember my dad buying himself a gore-tex camouflage hat with a picture of a duck on the front! He absolutely loved/loves it, and me and my brother were in stitches at how bad it looked. So, although my input is fairly unhelpful here, just be warned that however functional your hat might be, make sure it looks good if you have children who are prone to taking the mick out of you haha!

Flat caps aren't just fashion.
My dad grandad great grandad were all farmers or farm labourers all swear by em. I've followed in the headwear and can say apart from keeping ears warm-not a problem really take a wooly hat-they are really good. Keeps the sun out of eyes keeps rain out of eyes and or glasses.folds up smaller than a broad brimmed hat doesn't tend to get in the way when ambling through woods when branches can snag against broader brimmed hats.
Works well as a pot handler when moving pots on or off fire too

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tilley T3, mainly, for me though I like their technical wool one and the waxed one as well (for realy poor weather :)) or an M43 repro for cold windy weather where a broad brim might blow off ...
I also quite like some leather hats - especially Rogue....

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
I think I will purchase http://www.tarphat.co.uk/ they look fantastic and have a good track record. Should I find it being snagged in the tree's I'll make a more informed decision the second time round. Either way it looks to be a great holiday hat so I think I'll give it a whirl.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have worn all sorts of hats over time. I used to have an Akubra, till I wore a hole in the crown, replaced it with a leather hat, which does not look anything like it did when I bought it, having developed a customised pinch, (no doubt due to my chivalrous tipping of the hat towards the ladies) Keeps the sun out of my eyes and is waterproof. However these days I am as often as not seen sporting the old cloth cap, which is "de rigeur" down the allotment and can be easily stuffed into a pocket. It also suits if you are wearing a hooded jacket. I also have a felt hat for urban wear, a bit like an Akubra, but thicker felt from Ecuador and for the cold weather a Lowe Alpine mountain cap. Of course I do not wear them all at once, although there used to be a notable local eccentric called "Jimmy" who did just that, wandering around town with several hat's one on top of the other.

My brother used to have a DIY Davy Crocket type hat, I think he made it out of a dead fox complete with skull for added curiosity.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I'd like to have a decent widebrimmed felt hat to keep the snow and such from falling into the neck, when passing through the trees. Suggestions?
Must be woolfelt through! Yet not goofy cowboy-like or any indiana Jones replicas. A simple round topped hat would do.

Last edited:

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Flat caps for fashion? LOL really?

Not a chick accessory at all! Its unisex! I'm telling you the only shop in my town that I know of that sells Flat caps are Next and New look and this is Wiltshire I'm talking about here. Its for Chino wearing hipsters! and for people who want to appear artsy. Clearly I'm showing my young age here not knowing its a sensible outdoorsmans hat. But whatever, people wear tracksuites and never go for a run and baseball caps and never play baseball. Whatever works!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As I said, de rigeur on the allotment, along with a pair of wellies, you don't need to wear anything else to show you have arrived.

Now you've given me an image of a squire in the nude but for a flat cap and a pair of wellies out hoeing a arow of okra! dammit man! Don't do that. It'll take at least half a bottle of teqila before I can sleep.

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I got myself a Barmah leather hat form Oz on a site called hatsbythehundred. I don't actually find leather any warmer than a baseball cap. I like its style, its waterproof and keeps the sun off my ears, neck & shades my eyes...

All in all a very good hat that I wear a lot.

Cheers
Gareth

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
Still wearing the flat caps my granddad left me, he was a farmer all his life and I don't think I have one memory of him with out one on. Barbour Tweed and waxed flat caps are extremely high quality and functional.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Still wear my Jacaru, bought in Sydney 10 years ago, was the only thing worth getting as we were working on farms, Akubra, another great Oz company make felt hats but not the most robust of things when working or camping. We found that in towns and cities and the managers on farms wore Akubra but teh workers had a leather hat of some sort

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You're right to be concerned :)....................the Aussie & South African leather hats are for the tourists & export, the folk living & working outside in those climes have more sense & prefer light coloured felt hats. .....to be honest, leather hats & hot sun do not go together.:D

Exactly. +1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE