Bushcraft Anorak Options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I’m looking for a decent polycotton or cotton bushcraft jacket in an anorak style (i.e. over the head, possibly a front ‘kangaroo’ pocket, and a decent sized hood) and in a subdued olive/brown etc. I like the bergens morgedal, but I would find it a little expensive for knocking about the woods, and would end up worrying too much about cutting it, tearing it, grinding ashes into it etc etc. I know it could happily be repaired, but this worry would probably detract from the enjoyment I would gain from its use if that makes sense. I have a cracking snowsled ventile anorak that suffers from the same problem. So ideally something no more than £70-£80, and maybe cheaper still.

Most of the offerings I’ve found seem to be synthetic, or doesn’t fit the above description. Potentials include:

Do people have any thoughts? Thanks!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Someone else on this forum recommended these cant think who its was though - pinewood kebnekaise anorak

About £65 on amazon - could be a decent option, i'll look into it, thanks!

Give member Plimo p5 a pm, I have one of his smocks they are excellent value.

Rob

Ah, i had assumed that getting something hand-made might be a little more expensive than an off the shelf item - possibly not?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Endicotts surplus store have some thick cotton smocks for about £35. Think they may be Belgium or Danish but I'm not 100% sure...

Ah! Found it and it's Belgian. £26 + postage.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/content/belgian-patt-over-head-field-smock-olive-green-0

Many thanks for that - taking a look at it - it actually seems the same as the one i already have (in the link in my first post) - they are good jackets, but just a touch too short in the arms for me, and a slightly 'boxy' cut/short length. I've had quite a few years use out of it, and its done well, i just fancy a bit of an upgrade. I guess there isn't too much out there in the mid price range....

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Ah, i had assumed that getting something hand-made might be a little more expensive than an off the shelf item - possibly not?[/QUOTE]

depending on your spec, his prices are very good & its made to measure, so long arms no probs. I had mine made so I could roll up the sleeves above the elbow, so wider was no problem.

Rob

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Bought one of these about a month ago and I am thoroughly impressed.
It has been worn in all weather's when walking my dogs and out shooting, and if you are after a highly windproof and breathable outdoor smock that is a bit pricey, but won't break the bank, look no further, made from a 100% cotton "Epic" material that is touted as performing like ventile, and I cannot disagree with this, worn with the right base layers, for it's thickness, it is fantastically warm, and the material will be particularly suitable when worn round a camp fire.
Highly recommended.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/869-Bergans-Morgedal-Backcountry-Anorak-Dark-Khaki/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE