A friendly anouncement to all on BCUK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A friendly message to all on BCUK, especially those I have particularly communicated with over the last 6 years (wow is it really that long??!!)
I havent posted for quite some while now. To cut a long story short and get to the point, I have become a committed christian :yikes:. Yes, I know there are strict rules re religion on site, but please bear with me! I have reached a point in life where my priorities have changed dramatically. I know it may possibly irk and offend some folk (even though this certainly isnt my intention), but I have decided to heed the ministry call of God after many years of half hearted indecision. I've had to quit being ashamed of Jesus. Other fellow Christians will know what this implies....!! Part of this process has been to let go of some (actually lots of!) things that were crowding my time and energy. Spending too much time on various forums is one casualty...so It remains for me to say a genuinely heartfelt goodbye. I have enjoyed participating sharing and learning over the years, there are some wonderfully talented and diverse folk on the forum. But I have other priorities now, so, its time to go. Be blessed and have peace!!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Sincere and kindest regards, Jonathan:)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I wish you well for the future wherever that takes you. I hope that it's just the forum you're saying goodbye too and not bushcraft.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Yup - i'ts been nice knowing you mate! :grouphug:

- would the odd 'holiday' (and I mean that as a break from the norm rather than ignore your belief) be in order:confused: if so pop back every now and then to say hi :)

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I'm a vicar and I'm not going anywhere!

Good for you, but I wouldn't want anyone to think that Christianity somehow excludes bushcraft. I think it is good and healthy for us to have many hobbies and mix with different people. I wish you all the best with whichever way your calling leads you.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Best wishes Jonathan in what you do.
I'm a Christian, and find I can reflect on my faith and the world around without feeling as you are, but I know that distractions occur and can be difficult for people. An old school friend gave up his maths and science studies, (and he was quite brilliant) as he felt he spent too much time on them and not enough time with his faith. He's now a priest, and very happy, so probably the right choice/calling for him.
Anyway, ATB, and dont forget the world around you, it's there for a reason.

JohnC

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You'll always be welcome back if you ever fancy popping in for a visit, catch up with old friends and the like. Good luck with your journey, i hope you become the person you wish to be.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
If you giving up bushcraft can I have all your kit?

Only joking :)

Good luck and God bless.

PREPER............. :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I don't know you but I know what its like when you have too much on and not enough time to do it. Something always gives. Everyone has to make their own priorities and not for us to say that should be this forum or bushcraft. Wouldn't be my choice but good for you that its yours. Still, nothing stopping you making the odd foray into this forum occasionally as I'm sure there are some on here you call friend.

It does make me think how much time I spend on sime activities. What could I be doing if I wasn't on this forum now? Hmmm! I think the answer would be my job. :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have already been on one Imram (see my N Rona thread)

But I cant get the hang of the knotwork, i guess no illuminated manuscripts for me yet.

I see youve made the same mistake (quite natural) as the Aztecs, W00dsmoke...its all symbolic Im afraid.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hey ,
If you're happy ( and you're not making others miserable ) it's all good . Enjoy your new direction .
Cheers , Trev .

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Mr. Dazzler,

I wish you well on the latest part of your journey in your faith.

A few years ago, through work, I was involved with the Dean of Faculty of the UF Church on the Mound in Edinburgh, what a grand lot they were.

I've trodden the path you're now on (a long, long time ago now) my dog collar was only whiter than white because I knew a few tailors and it was cut from the cardboard shirt shaper we throw away - my Latin used to be tip top, my Arabic was "pidjin/gutter" and my Hebrew almost non existent.

Despite my past, me and the "Wee Free" got on like a house on fire and I can assure you though, that they all had hobbies outwith their faith/ministry.

Don't include Christ and exclude bushcraft is my advice.

You may feel that "Man cannot live on Bannock alone" but trust me you'll need your hobby now and again for a bit of "me" time.

In the Ministry you can even use bushcraft in your sermons, e.g. feeding the multitude with "Bannock and Fishes".

Above all, keep your sense of humour!! The multitude are/can be a nightmare.

I often wonder if the late JC, as a Carpenter, worried about the construction of the cross he carried.

Did he have a gander at it as Simon the Cyrene was forced to carry it? Did the Romans (more likely locals) use dovetail, tenon or any kind of woodworking joint? Or just join it with local smithy forged nails?

Good luck in your journey, but in any walk of life you'll always need your sense of humour and a hobby.

Liam

p.s.

Any worries give me a PM and I'll give you my number - no Revelations jokes folks!!!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE