58' and crusader combo kit!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
thought you might like to see how i do it!

my basic cooking kit,
58' plastic mug, 58'water bottle, crusader cup canteen, crusader cooker, crusader cup lid(all my own work), mini coke can stove, lexan desert spoon, Milbank water filter bag, it all fits in the pouch, which is an Arktis type(see below)
ee5085b9.jpg

heres a close up of the mini coke can stove in the cooker, and the crusader cup lid!
ee508656.jpg

and another view of the lid (inside).
ee508613.jpg

the lid is made from a discarded mess tin, i origionally cut a wooden template 1/2 an inch wider than the lip of the cup, but it broke, so i carefully just bashed the metal to shape arond the cup rim! and it worked fine!
no heat needed.
i've also given the lid a coat of mat black high temp paint which helps the system heat up and it looks good!
the handle is made from the mess tin handle, i've made it so it folds flat for storage!

The pouch is home made also, its basically a copy of an Arktis rear pouch, (the real ones aren't big enough for this kit!.

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
Nice work there! Always wondered about making a lid for my crusader mug, but its the kind of thing that gets put off indefinitely! Used my mini trangia for the first time on saturday (I have had it 2 years, but only ever used the pans from it), and I can see that getting used to death!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Mini trangia's are a great bit of kit!
it's the same power as it's big brother but a smaller package!

i've used one for around 20 years! it's been chucked around something chronic but it always works!

i would be using mine with this kit but it won't fit in the burner area! :(

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Nice work, i was thinking about making a lid for my mug last saturday night when i was getting a mouth full of ash with every mouth full of coffee after i boiled up in mine on an open fire :( .

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
it's exactly the reason i made mine! ;)

here's another idea i want to copy at some point!
CP008.jpg

it's from the BCB international web page, looks easy to copy!

here's what the ad says:
Crusader Cup Holder
CP008
Simple but effective. The Crusader Cup Holder allows the boiling of water and cooking of food directly over a camp fire. Just clip to the lip of the Crusader Cup.
Item price: £ 0.58
not very much! but what the hey, i'll see what i can do!
it looks like a sprung piece of metal that fits under the lip! easy! ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D
good idea! i don't know if i could trust my own handywork in the way you suggest!
;)
it'd be interesting if you can get a picture though!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There should be a picture - that's what I was adding today. Last post on the thread. Is it not showing up? :confused:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
here's another idea i want to copy at some point!
CP008.jpg

it's from the BCB international web page, looks easy to copy!

I can give you a little background on this photo

its a picture of my set up on a BCB "product testing and development weekend" I am not sure who took the photo, it could have been myself or possibly Barry Davies

I didn’t have access to a Billy, but had a crusader mug so I took the strip of galvanised mild steel from a Military Survival Tin and bent it into a shape that would accommodate the mug, took less than a minute.

surprisingly this bodge job is still going strong, it has since been modified to fit my MSR titan Mug which most of my cooking is done in (its more stable on the MSR than it is on the crusader) but even more surprising is that it appears to have become a BCB product!!!

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
Stuart said:
I can give you a little background on this photo

its a picture of my set up on a BCB "product testing and development weekend" I am not sure who took the photo, it could have been myself or possibly Barry Davies

I didn’t have access to a Billy, but had a crusader mug so I took the strip of galvanised mild steel from a Military Survival Tin and bent it into a shape that would accommodate the mug, took less than a minute.

surprisingly this bodge job is still going strong, it has since been modified to fit my MSR titan Mug which most of my cooking is done in (its more stable on the MSR than it is on the crusader) but even more surprising is that it appears to have become a BCB product!!!

Interesting, thats what i did when i got my BCB millitary survival kit....

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
depends on how many they sell!
and they may up the price! ;)

it's funny, i magined it was something some boffin was working over in a workshop for months perfecting the design! :lmao:

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Looks like a great setup!
What are you burning in the stove?
Wasn't there a manufacture that was coming out with a lid for the crusader?
akraven

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
meths is the fuel of choice, i've tried others and they don't compare.

hexi works but not as hot,
green gel i hate messy and not hot.
my home made coke can meths burner is far hotter and will boil half a mug of water in minutes which is enough for 2 cups! and it leaves no residue at all!

as for the lid, i'd heard rumours of a lid being made and folowed it up 2 years ago but came up with nothing, you probably heard the same rumour! :rolleyes:

making your own lid is very easy!

How to make your own Crusader cup lid!(the same way i did, the easy way!! ;) )

i tried making one with some thin steel that involved heating the metal and making creases and all sorts of more advanced techniques i can't do well.but the other option is to use aluminium, very easy to work, forgiving and lighter!
with the right tools it'll only take an hour or so!
and i shall tell you how i made mine:

1 crusader cup canteen(stainless steel would be better so you don't damage the Non-stick finish!!!)
1 find old cheep aluminium mess tin (not MoD shiney type).
1 pair tin snips, or hacksaw(tin snips are far easier on aluminium!)
1 rounded hammer(with a ball end)
an anvil or metal block to bash on, i suppose a smooth flat rock or concrete would work but not as well.
1 tin high temperature paint.
1 pencil
piece of A4 paper
metal file, or angle grinder :eek: ( be very carefull with angle grinders they are very powerful and are "Hospital ivitations" in the wrong hands! :eek: )
saftey goggles(metal will fly with a grinder!)
some saftey gloves (lots of sharp edges)
ear defenders (if useing machinery!)

1) use your mug as a template draw around the lip onto the paper, when done add 1/2" to 1" extra around the shape you've drawn. cut out the template!

2) mark out the template on your old mess tin, cut it out with the tin snips,leaving a few mm spare around it, keep the handle! (don't throw away the scrap metal you can use it for other projects!)

3) holding the cut metal firmly on your mug (you may need gloves) slowly tap it into shape the mug won't dent if you're careful, (i went to the trouble of making a wooden template but this way seems much easier!).
you may need to "work the metal" a bit to get the top and sides perfectly flat.

4) with a ruler or steady hand mark around the new, lid lip so you know where to file down to, to make a straight edge, obviously goggles gloves :borgsmile etc and ear plugs if using machinery! :rolleyes: file it down the edges(they will be sharp!) ,you now have a lid.

5) to make it easier to pick up when in use make 2 holes, in the lid, and either make a handle from the messtin handle like i did, or thread through some wire.

6) finally wash the lot and give it a couple of coats of heat resistant paint on the outside(it's potentially toxic :yuck: )

and in a few hours you will have a working crusader cup lid! for the price of an old mess tin! and some paint(make sure you don't paint the handles stuck! :aargh4: )

ok the paint, you don't really need to paint the lid, you could use the lid naked! :eek: i did it to match the rest of the non-stick set, also black absorbs heat so makes the set more efficient! so it makes sense really.
and for those in the military it's far more tactical!
also it protects the aluminium from oxidising and more importantly if accidently left on the edge of a fire or stove, as it will melt if hot enough quicker than other metals!

if the sides are short enough you'll be able to slip it in with the mug in a normal pouch.

and as they say on "art attack", "why don't you have a go!" :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE