22 hours in the Wilderness (With some photos)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Nice one dude. I remember my first night sleeping out in a beech forest. Waiting for the big cracks and bangs that everyone "warned" me about :yikes:. Rotten Gits! :p
How many knifes did you sleep with or was it just a few 'hawks and axes kept close to hand? (I took my knife and axe in the 3 man tent with me and the next time was in Kent with several hooting owls and phesants - kept my knife close - Yep - Wos)
Anyway who's the older bloke in the photo or does one need to update ones avatar? :lmao::lmao:

Last edited:

Biker

Anyway who's the older bloke in the photo or does one need to update ones avatar? :lmao::lmao:

Ones avater is only 18 months old, so one is offended, however one did apply a gausian blur filter over the picture to make me more attractive to the opposite sex. I have yet to see a result of that actually working. One has high hopes, if delusional.

Nope, didn't sleep with any knives/axes/weapons close by. "I know kung-fu" is warning enough to any would be attacker. See? I watched The Matrix too.

I did sleep surprisingly well confident I wouldn't need to defend myself if the poop hit the windmill. Having lived here in Normandy for nearly 6 years has allowed me to let my guard down a lot when compared to the UK. Here you can leave your garage/shed etc unlocked and know that it won't be disturbed. Not that many do, being an ever practical rural community, very much belt and braces type of people. I like that mentality. They respect their neighbours, watch out for each other, but lock there doors against the scumbags found in any society.

Large Sack. Clecy! I was there just last week fitting a window I made for someone. Chester's bar know it? My mate runs the place with his missus Debbie. Yeah, Calvados. Lethal stuff, don't get any on your clothes.

MartinK9 Thanks, glad you felt like you'd been along. Reading some of the adventures here it was nice to give something back with my little experience.

Ged: Yup got a few bits and pieces but currently no customers waiting, except one who wants a big heavy axe head. Those that are waiting on drawknives or billhook are still waiting for me to get off my butt and contact them that I have one ready. I really must PM some people.

Bye for now. Reality doth beckon.

Last edited:

CPWSolf

Jul 5, 2010
Cumbria, UK
Hey guys...new to the forum.

I do have yet to do an overnighter (other than non-bushcraft), but this account has spurred me into action.
A fantastic post mate

Biker

Hey guys...new to the forum.

I do have yet to do an overnighter (other than non-bushcraft), but this account has spurred me into action.
A fantastic post mate

Your first posting and it was in response to my little adventure. I'm honoured. Thank you.

I tell ya in all seriousness I do feel different for having done that over nighter. To the old hands here it's probably nothing special but like anything if done for the first time it's exciting and different. I think that's why it took me so long to drop off, not through worry for what reptilian beasty or bugs could crawl into my sleeping bag with me but just the sheer differentness of it all. In a tent you feel cut off from the outside, those thin fabric walls give you a feeling of security.

I hope you do get out there and do an over-nighter and soon. Be sure to share it with us.

To those who have yet to try it. Just do it.

To paraphrase the immortal words of Gloria Gaynor: You will survive! :lmao:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiyar biker now you ask the question about string hammocks as kit hammocks and were they go either above or below your sleeping hammock well you can do either i used to put it below but then was shown how to do it so it was above me and well i will do it like that every time now cos its easier drew

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
A good tale, well told. Thanks for letting us share your adventure.

Not for nothing was spending the night by yourself a rite of passage in certain cultures. It does change your view of things for sure.

I noted that your fire lighting by friction wasn't taken to its conclusion of flames, I can understand the desire to practice making an ember, but the thrill of seeing a flame you've created is a good experience too!

Al

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Another thing, after your stinging nettle encounter you said you couldn't find any dock leaves. You could always use Plantain (Plantago major) instead, if anything, I think it's more effective than dock for relieving stinger rash.

Al

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dock leaves are, to be honest, crap. Much easier to take along a tube of cream designed to combat the stings. Why make things difficult for yourself?

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
thanks biker, really enjoyed reading this thread, also john wisemans sas survival book is THE BIBLE!
lol
just a bit on the big side tho to carry around with ya, other than that a real good book.

keep up the good work and i hope to hear more of your antics in gaul!

cheers

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Thanks for sharing your story, an enjoyable read. Sounds like you did well.I was intrigued about the hobo stove; I had seen them mentioned before but really didn't know what
they were all about, so I searched around the forum to learn more...I guess they are more efficient than an open campfire, is that their main purpose?
I don't see anyone over here using them ...wouldn't know where to get a look at one...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE