2013 Bushmoot Workshops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've seen a few various threads about possible workshops such as whoopie slings and a possible catapult workshop but wondered what else will be on offer this year at the moot.

I'll be demonstrating how to make North-West Pacific trolling hooks like these. Dean has kindly offered to collect the spruce roots needed to make these so you'll learn how to process them as well as carve the components :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There's a lot of sycamore on site Sally which most folks harvest.

Just thinking about the workshops it might help as well if there's a particular skill people would like to learn besides the usual things like fire by friction, spoon carving, plant ident etc if you post what you'd like to learn here it would help Tony with planning the workshops :)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There's a lot of sycamore on site Sally which most folks harvest.

Just thinking about the workshops it might help as well if there's a particular skill people would like to learn besides the usual things like fire by friction, spoon carving, plant ident etc if you post what you'd like to learn here it would help Tony with planning the workshops :)

Shame we couldn't organise a sort of skills database so that if someone wants to know a certain thing there could be a list to refer to which says that person has some working knowledge of it, even if not skilled or expert level. (Last year I got several pointers of safe chainsaw use from MadDave) I know it could sound too much like blowing your own trumpet, but keeping a talent quiet and not sharing it with others seems a bit selfish. Granted there's that fear that someone might actually being better than you at a skill you 're offering to teach, but we're all a pretty friendly bunch here and most seem willing to learn and listen and take advice.

F'rinstance I'm a carpenter by trade, I know how to sharpen chisels, so the technique to get an edge on a knife isn't too much of a leap for me, but it didn't stop me running sobbing to Longstrider to perform his magic on my HillBill knife last year when I messed up the edge on Bamboo.

After the Butanese bow making class I was able to spend sometime with John Fenna finishing his bow as I am pretty handy with a drawknife. That being said though I don't know much about greenwood working I do know the basics about good methods of wood joint construction so a rustic chair won't collapse if someone were to sit on it after it were made.
I'm also not too bad at scribbling, though there are some real artists here at BCUK. However, if you don't have a basic art skill to start off with, it's not something that can be learnt in a 15min one to one session.

My skill set is pretty limited, but there are things have a working knowledge off and I'm willing to have a go at. What I'm not good at is knots, identifying which plant is edible or poisonous, tree identification is also a weak spot for me. Camp cooking I'm not good at but willing to learn. I have a low tolerance to alcohol so after a packet of wine gums I'm anybody's.

Anyway, like I said if we could have some sort of skills database it'd be pretty handy sort of thing to refer to for basic skills classes at the moot.

Sorry if I blathered on a bit, thanks for reading.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You did what? :D

F'rinstance I'm a carpenter by trade, I know how to sharpen chisels, so the technique to get an edge on a knife isn't too much of a leap for me, but it didn't stop me running sobbing to Longstrider to perform his magic on my HillBill knife last year when I messed up the edge on Bamboo.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Shame we couldn't organise a sort of skills database so that if someone wants to know a certain thing there could be a list to refer to which says that person has some working knowledge of it, even if not skilled or expert level. (Last year I got several pointers of safe chainsaw use from MadDave) I know it could sound too much like blowing your own trumpet, but keeping a talent quiet and not sharing it with others seems a bit selfish. Granted there's that fear that someone might actually being better than you at a skill you 're offering to teach, but we're all a pretty friendly bunch here and most seem willing to learn and listen and take advice.

After the Butanese bow making class I was able to spend sometime with John Fenna finishing his bow as I am pretty handy with a drawknife. That being said though I don't know much about greenwood working I do know the basics about good methods of wood joint construction so a rustic chair won't collapse if someone were to sit on it after it were made.
I'm also not too bad at scribbling, though there are some real artists here at BCUK. However, if you don't have a basic art skill to start off with, it's not something that can be learnt in a 15min one to one session.

My skill set is pretty limited, but there are things have a working knowledge off and I'm willing to have a go at. What I'm not good at is knots, identifying which plant is edible or poisonous, tree identification is also a weak spot for me. Camp cooking I'm not good at but willing to learn. I have a low tolerance to alcohol so after a packet of wine gums I'm anybody's.

Anyway, like I said if we could have some sort of skills database it'd be pretty handy sort of thing to refer to for basic skills classes at the moot.

Sorry if I blathered on a bit, thanks for reading.

It's a good idea that, in a way there is an informal version of it in our heads from website usage. We do tend to find out who does what. Obviously there are the makers then there's the surprise when out of left field someone shows a skill you didn't know they had (like Crosslandkelly's leatherwork the other day) and you get blown away. Then there's folk like Trev who with a bit of friendly chat turned a disappointment into a newfound skill and now he's off engraving every flat surface in site. (I'd be scared to leave my motor outside his house not there'd be no paint left on it.)

I do think that there is a natural reserve of folks here as to what they'll own up to being good at, and some may not think their skills are relative. (I was speaking to a local seamstress the other day and she was blown away by the interest in old sewing machines that there is on here - she'd have never put the two together).

There is also unfortunately a safety issue. Though for instance I hold various things like pesticide tickets and chainsaw ones I'd be "cautious" about teaching it "informally" as the chance of being sued is not a nice thought. Even though it could make the hobby chainsawers life potentially a lot longer as it scares me you can buy them with no training. Like a neighbour who'd bought an electric one and couldn't get it to cut anything - they'd sold it with the chain in backwards and he knew so little he didn't realise.

I'm rambling now but a skills database could be good.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll be doing some sessions with leather (if there's any left after the pre moot 3 day leatherworking course). Again, I'll be doing rigid heddle strap weaving as that was very popular last year, and as a new creative venture, I'll be running a session on "needle felting as an art form". That is basically making pictures with wool.
Like this:

I'll also be around to answer any queries regarding leather and the like any time I'm not asleep.
Eric

Elen Sentier

I'll be doing some sessions with leather (if there's any left after the pre moot 3 day leatherworking course). Again, I'll be doing rigid heddle strap weaving as that was very popular last year, and as a new creative venture, I'll be running a session on "needle felting as an art form". That is basically making pictures with wool.
Like this:

I'll also be around to answer any queries regarding leather and the like any time I'm not asleep.
Eric

I want to make a mask like this ... can you help, Eric?
The Wood Wife.jpg

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Yes. Mask making is no problem, although I may have to drop the needle felting - I just can't cram any more kit in the car.
OK, fair warning for mask making, maximum of six (two places already booked for Elen and Turbogirl), so 4 more places available. I'll provide the leather, you just pay for what you use. Don't put your names down here for a place though, I'll be setting away very soon and driving through the night. See me down there if you want to reserve a place on the mask making.

Here's the kind of thing you can make:

Any style and any shape:

If you want to do summat really fancy, please bring a photo or illustration.

See you all down there.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE