2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I am counting on the fact that the bivvy bag and the drishell outer would shield against snow drippings and moisture. It should be able to take one coffee, but of course with down if you get it really wet, you are scre.......[piep]

I have thought about a synthetic outer and down inner, but too many coffees in the inner bag and you are back in trouble so I am not sure this helps a lot. Going all synthetic is the safest route, but will result in the biggest heaviest bags.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I think thats a good price for that bag, PHD stuff is good.

I'm sticking with synth, the last thing I want is wet down in a snow hole. Knowing me, I'm bound to spill at least one coffee in my bed.

Teepee, are you taking a 5 season synthetic bag or are you using a combination of bags (liner/inner/outer)?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've got a 4 season PHD bag which is great for Scottish winters but would prefer a big synthetic bag for the course. I've also tried the Buffalo Superbag but I was cold on a warm autumn night which was dissapointing.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ducky-pleased to see your a fellow coffee spiller :)

I'm torn between 2 options; an Ajungilak Denali or nesting my 3 and 4 season bags and using my winter down hammock Underquilt as a top quilt if its below -25.

I'm hammocking either side of the course and I don't think relying on down completely is sensible for me-I want some insurance as I'll be by myself for a few days. I love down insulation though, its just soooo much nicer to sleep under.

My bivvy will also be my hammock-pertex top and heavy PU coated bottom with a velcro closure, all on CCF mats. This is my plan at the moment.

It looks like I'll be carrying the equivalent of a cow on my back :)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Teepee, I do love my coffee. More for drinking than for covering myself in it, but still I love it :)
If you bring the cow, I will do my favourite Francis Mallmann outdoor grilling recipe 'Vaca Entera' (all I need is someone who did a campcraft course to build the rack out of twigs). Cue some northern lights and some beers and we are in heaven :cool:

The Denali looks like the dogs b....

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Teepee, I do love my coffee. More for drinking than for covering myself in it, but still I love it :)
If you bring the cow, I will do my favourite Francis Mallmann outdoor grilling recipe 'Vaca Entera' (all I need is someone who did a campcraft course to build the rack out of twigs). Cue some northern lights and some beers and we are in heaven :cool:

The Denali looks like the dogs b....

Sounds like a plan to me :)

Does anyone know if a cow is hand luggage or goes in the hold?

The Denali is the front runner at the moment. I've been testing the nesting of my synth bags tonight-although they fit together well, the zips will drive me mad after a few days of struggling to get them done up.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am I missing them or are there not too many five season synthetic bags? When I search online I also get links to RAB bags, but they are down filled if I am not mistaken.
Plenty of 4 season bags. I tried some bag combinations out myself yesterday but must agree with teepee that multiple zippers is going to be a pain in the ....

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Try looking for expedition bags too ;)

From memory- Ajungilak, Snugpak, Nanok and Exped make 5 season synth bags.

I really like the look of foam bags but haven't seen any in the flesh and reports of use seem none existent. Northern Outfitters use Vaetrex foam for their jackets so there must be big benefits to using it- their kit is well regarded.
I've seen a blog where a guy made all his kit for antarctica from supersoft EVA foam.
I've been trying to source some in the UK to play with some for DIYing kit, but can't find any.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> Does anyone know if a cow is hand luggage or goes in the hold? <Snip

Give it a halter and you should be able to book it as snow equipment.
mush.gif

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
I have just bought a surplus Dutch arctic sleeping bag that I am hoping will do the trick for the course. I got in it to test the fit and was sweating after 30 seconds! Same sort of design as the British issue bag, but twice as thick. That combined with a liner, Dutch army bivi bag and an Exped 9 down mat should just about keep me warm... I hope!!!

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
http://www.imsc.co.uk/archives/865

That's the one, got it off evilbay though. It certainly is heavy and bulky, but I don't think we will be lugging kit round much once we are over there so that sholdn't be a problem. It takes up about two thirds of the main compartment of my bergen uncompressed, so space is my only concern at the moment. If only I could get away with just taking my Softie 3, but I don't fancy having my dangly bits chopped off from frost bite (assuming I survived the hypothermia!).

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've cut leg holes into my sleeping bag and will be wearing it babygro stylee on the plane.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE