2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
The 'challenge' I see is dealing with a potentially wide temperature range and possibly some humidity. If only it were constantly dry and cold, or wet and medium cold, that would be much easier ;)

I am thinking a combi of either a down bag and synthetic overbag or two downbags in my army bivvy for warmth and versatility

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
The 'challenge' I see is dealing with a potentially wide temperature range and possibly some humidity. If only it were constantly dry and cold, or wet and medium cold, that would be much easier ;)

I am thinking a combi of either a down bag and synthetic overbag or two downbags in my army bivvy for warmth and versatility

This is why I won't be using a down bag, though I was thinking of buying an overbag to use with a 4 season down bag. However a new synthetic -30C bag is cheaper than the overbag!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Just throwing this out;

I've been checking flight prices around this courses dates. Flying with Norwegian to bardufoss on the correct dates is working out at around £500 and needs a change of plane in Oslo.

I've found the cheapest flight is arriving at Tromso early on the Thursday and leaving on the following tueday for around £175. This is a direct flight and no change is needed which is a big plus in my book, as if kit goes missing being changed planes, it'll be a royal PITA.

I'm seriously thinking of doing this and staying in a tent or my hammock to save some flight money, get acclimatised before the course(takes me a couple of days for my body to get used to the cold), possibly do some snowshoeing or skiing, see more of Norway and get to play in the snow for longer. :hatscarf:

Provisionally, is anyone else up for this?
Obviously, we would need to plan carefully with public transport and make sure that all efforts are made to avoid jeopardizing our course. :stretcher:

Pete. :camping:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Hopefully the basic course will be running a week earlier, if so, some of us will already be there. Perhaps it will be cheaper to drive there.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I dearly hope the basic course goes ahead for you guys but if it doesn't and for those only on this one like me, this could be good.

Driving through Norway is loads slower than the UK, even in summer. 50mph max, lots of closed roads, ferries and having to go through europe as the UK-Norway ferry is closed. I'd dearly love to drive it in the winter but it would add a week at least and studded tyres would need adding to the cost. High fuel prices in Norway won't help either.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
For me a KLM flight to Oslo seems the way to go. This is only 99 euro for the round trip. I would still need to get to bardufoss though, so would be up for a meet up with fellow participants in Oslo to do the final leg together.

Checking the schedules, we would need to be on the 09.00 flight from Oslo to Bardufoss (Norwegian Flight DY330) on the 11th to meet the RV time. I would be flying out from Amsterdam to Oslo on the 10th and stay over for the night. Return flight from Bardufoss on the 16th departure 15.30 (Norwegian Flight DY335) and from there I would go back to Amsterdam with KLM.

Total costs around 330 euro so that seems allright

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Empire canvas jacket has come in. It sure is roomy. Plenty of space for my very own insulation layer :)
P1050104.JPG

I must confess it looks better on my daughter ;)
P1050103.JPG

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
For those that went last year- how much time will we spend around the fire? I ask this as I'm taking a Schott N3B parka in nylon which is nice and toasty but melty! Alternatively I have a heavyweight cotton military style parka from...NEXT (of all places) but no waterproofness at all but it won't melt.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
For those that went last year- how much time will we spend around the fire? I ask this as I'm taking a Schott N3B parka in nylon which is nice and toasty but melty! Alternatively I have a heavyweight cotton military style parka from...NEXT (of all places) but no waterproofness at all but it won't melt.
Alot of time if last year is anything to go by!
Don't forget, there is no 'going in doors'
What about throwing a Swedish snow smock over the N3b ? They are huge, cotton and windproof ( and cheap !! )
Helps to keep nylon from snagging aswell as melting !
My best.
Chris.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Which trousers should I take? From left to right we have fleece lined polycotton trousers, fleece salopettes, Buffalo Techlite salopettes, HH fibrepile salopettes, Brenig heavyweight pile/pertex salopettes.

IMG_0199.JPG

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Have you got any arctic whites ( the trousers ) to go over them ? It may help.
I don't think that warmth will be an issue with any of them, however I seem to recall from last years trip
that some of the alpine gear, while doing a great job at keeping its owner warm, suffered from pulls
and snags, the odd tear or melt hole from spitting pine from all the fires.
Poly cotton seems to handle the rough stuff much better, so maybe the first pair ?
Hope this helps.
Chris.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I think thats a good price for that bag, PHD stuff is good.

I'm sticking with synth, the last thing I want is wet down in a snow hole. Knowing me, I'm bound to spill at least one coffee in my bed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE