2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My winter bag -- Carintia Survival One -- has sleeves and two way zippers (both of them, I love double zips as they make it less likely that you will be left with no working zipper). So it is possible to go around looking like an OD version of a Dr Who monster. Waving ones arms in a strange manner while running around in a disused quarry as one tries to turn Manchester into a toxic hellhole. And if it means getting killed by Leela it might all be worth it...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Kit heads up for wool lovers !
I was in Endicatts on Saturday and Kev has some great Danish military wool trousers in, good size range as well ( up into the 40s I think ! )
Nice highish waist keep kidneys warm, add some buttons and braces, buy over sized and tuck all but your last two layers in, great quality too,
Nice and thick.
Also they have the ( Dutch ? ) wool Helly Hansen fleeces in again. I took one on my last arctic trip and shall be doing so again this year.
Light but very warm, good fuzzy airtrapping loft to these and the benefit of thumb holes in the long cuffs.
Hope this is of some interest.
My best.
Chris.

Very Nice Chris!! , Very Nice!! You like getting your kit off then?

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=121&osCsid=48167754878f7a966edd9bd018865198

Wayland

Hárbarðr
He's wearing the Emperors thermals.....
signsandflags7.gif

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Lol !!
Thats lunch time wine drinking for you chaps!
The wool stuff in good sizes is good news tho folks, but I guess most of you have your cold weather gear sorted ?
My best.
Chris.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Would any of the attendees on this course be interested in going out to Norway for the week prior to this course for a mini adventure?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Would any of the attendees on this course be interested in going out to Norway for the week prior to this course for a mini adventure?

I'm there a few days before already, extending it a bit more is appealing

I could perhaps extend my trip to 10 days but if I go longer this might trigger a strike at home ;)

Thats all good, you wont have to deal with the strike if your in Norway and when you return from Norway with no nose or fingers, they'll forget about the striking anyway.

We'd be happy to 'Kidnap' you to give you a cover story:)

James Bentley

May 8, 2011
Loughborough
Hi Guys,

This is my first post. Im coming on the trip with Iceman and secret celebrity I**C*****.

Its my first time staying in such cold conditions so after some advice regarding the kit list.

1. Stove - was looking at somthing like the META 50 as recommended, which fuel is best to use in these conditions and easily available on arrival?
2. Sleeping bags - I dont have a 5 season bag so was considering hiring one. Any idea what these are like?
3. Boots - I have been lent a pair of Sorel Caribou boots, they are nice and roomy with two layers of socks, super warm. Will these do the job?
4. There is no mention of snow shovels on the kit list but i guess there will be quite a bit a bit of digging. I have a collapsable one, should i bring it along?
5. Head torch - I have a couple but are there certain batteries not to use?
6. Any recommendations on the bivi bag - I have seen the snugpak stratosphere bag which looks good for creating a warm space around your head.

James

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi James

Can't help you about the stove, it's not one I've used, I'm going with Meths and hoping I can use a fire most of the time.

I've also no idea what the bags are like but hopefully one of the previous attendees can help out there.

The boots sound good, make sure you have plenty of spare socks as well.

Woody said that they provide some shovels but more are always welcome.

Lithium cells are supposed to be the best batteries in low temperatures and I'm just taking a British Army bivi bag as it seems to tick all the necessary boxes.

Hope some of that helps, welcome to the forum and I'll look forward to meeting you on the course or before if you can make it to the January meet up.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi James, pleased to meet you :)

I can't help you on a lot of the questions over what Wayland says.

Unleaded and meths are available over there from the local garage and shop apparently.

Woody

Forager
POLITE NOTICE

Guys,

A quick notice regards flight booking for this Expedition. A number of people have contacted the office asking if they can proceed and book flights.

As stated in the terms and conditions and Expedition description the go/no go date for the expedition is the 15th January. Between now and then all number of things could affect whether the Expedition runs, not just the lack of student numbers.

These measures are put in place to protect both the individual and the expedition providers. If some one wants to risk booking their flights before this date (to get a better deal) they do so completely at their own risk and niether BCUK nor Bushcraft Expeditions take any responsibility for any loss incurred as a result, should the expedition not take place.

Woody

Artzi

Oct 31, 2010
Finland
Hi Guys,

This is my first post. Im coming on the trip with Iceman and secret celebrity I**C*****.

Its my first time staying in such cold conditions so after some advice regarding the kit list.

1. Stove - was looking at somthing like the META 50 as recommended, which fuel is best to use in these conditions and easily available on arrival?
2. Sleeping bags - I dont have a 5 season bag so was considering hiring one. Any idea what these are like?
3. Boots - I have been lent a pair of Sorel Caribou boots, they are nice and roomy with two layers of socks, super warm. Will these do the job?
4. There is no mention of snow shovels on the kit list but i guess there will be quite a bit a bit of digging. I have a collapsable one, should i bring it along?
5. Head torch - I have a couple but are there certain batteries not to use?
6. Any recommendations on the bivi bag - I have seen the snugpak stratosphere bag which looks good for creating a warm space around your head.

James

Hi James,

Not sure if you got your answers already, but hopefully I can give some tips atleast:

1. At (arctic) cold it takes quite a long time to cook anything with alcohol stoves. If picking up gas stove make sure that you get 4 season gas bottle. Best is petrol stove (unfortunately expensive), but also stoves like Kelly Kettle works pretty well too.
2. Sleeping bags, if not able to get 4/5 season one you can use 2 or 3 normal ones as layers. Works well!
3. Just make sure that you can move your toes in your boots, 1 - 2 layers woollen or thicker hiking socks and you should be fine!
5. Any better quality batteries are just fine, trick is to keep them warm (like inside your clothes) when not in use.

Just send me PM if feeling like asking something about arctic stuff! :)

Regards,

Arto

Wayland

Hárbarðr

I'm still waiting (quite probably in vain) to see what is happening about the basic course.

If that is a non runner I will probably take the time anyway and do some photography over there.

I'm trying to work out if it's possible to book a lodge or cabin of some kind in the area which would make charging batteries and the like easier, but my Google-Fu is just not strong enough yet.
4166.gif

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Forestwalker (I think) suggested using a village hall, I thought that was a good idea. There are also the little shelters that they have in Scandinavia with half cover and a big firepit that may be a goer for a few days for some safe shelter.

Have you looked at the TEG (thermo-electric generation) chargers Gary? they work of a heat differential. Theres a company in Sweden that makes a trangia based charger and also some chinese units that you can use with a saucepan.
Investing in one would give you some freedom and may well work out cheaper than booking a cabin.

I've got some links if you're interested.

forestwalker

Forestwalker (I think) suggested using a village hall, I thought that was a good idea. There are also the little shelters that they have in Scandinavia with half cover and a big firepit that may be a goer for a few days for some safe shelter.

If you ar a few a small village hall could be ok (they come in all sizes, from "seats 20-30" to "seats 140". The small end of stuff is the ideal for you lot (ask one or the Norwegian people here for help), and is likely tob e found in the tiny villages in the back end of nowhere. There is also B&B, of course.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm still waiting (quite probably in vain) to see what is happening about the basic course.

If that is a non runner I will probably take the time anyway and do some photography over there.

I'm trying to work out if it's possible to book a lodge or cabin of some kind in the area which would make charging batteries and the like easier, but my Google-Fu is just not strong enough yet.
4166.gif

I found a few 4 berth cabins but they were rather spendy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE