2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Dear All
I have emailed everyone regarding this however I know some people don't always check their email so thought it best to post on here as well.

Please email me these details at inforequest@bushcraftexpeditions.com

As your expedition date is approaching I need all your flight details.
Please can you email me these as soon as possible
Both incoming and out going journeys please,

Regards

Becky

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Fair enough but as I'm already in Norway I don't have the details to hand. I'm on the same flight as C da C to bardufoss and returning on the sunday at about 1pm either with Norwegian or possibly with the RAF if my mate is in the area.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Good luck on the RAF lift Bob, thats some hitchhiking!
How long do you think your phone battery will hold out mate?
Wondering if I should put my sim in an 'old school mobile' rather than bring my (oldschoolish!) iPhone 3,
it may last longer ( the battery that is. )
Having fun?
Chris.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Hi Chris, in normal temps my battery will last a day or two days if i turn all functions off. I have two spare long life batteries and once IMAG0098.jpgin country (Skjold) i will only turn the phone on as needed. Anyway this is my final attempt at packing, heavy but i will be able to carry it. I just need to add some munchies and a gallon of fuel
The sacks are 75 and 40 litres and i'll be wearing a lot of clothing.

Last edited:

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
My Snowshoes just arrives, they have a plastic body, is that normal? just wondered the best way to pack them in my checked luggage so they dont break, maybe wrap them up in towel/clothing or something?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Being plastic, they should be a little easier to pack and more resilient in the hold. Mine are a nightmare with sharp ally points and bendable too, so I'm wrapping them with cardboard, strapping all my poles, back supports from the sabre and saws to them to give them a bit more protection.

I've stripped my sabre down so I cant get any of the carry straps ripped, I may use them to pad the shoes out too.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
My snowshoes are putting up a fight too ;)

The front lip makes them most easy to pack with the sharp teeth outwards, but this may rip my flight bag. Baggage handlers are not known for their soft touch.

Last fitting was with the teeth facing the back of my pack. The flightbag is now protected, but I may need to shield the padding of my pack.

Only a couple of days guys and we can start the adventure :cool:

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Good Idea Pete, I might have a look at stripping the sabre down too. I was worried cuz there's so many straps, I bought a cheap lightweight hold all to put it in but it ripped as soon as I lifted it, it couldnt take the kg's. I should send it back! but time is ticking!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good Idea Pete, I might have a look at stripping the sabre down too. I was worried cuz there's so many straps, I bought a cheap lightweight hold all to put it in but it ripped as soon as I lifted it, it couldnt take the kg's. I should send it back! but time is ticking!

It strips down pretty easy mate. The worst bit is pulling the hip belt out from the double sided velcro.

Once you've done it, you'll know why these packs weigh so much:)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'd check the weather before packing snow shoes, you may be better off with crampons. The recent freeze thaw cycles and lack of snowfall means that the ground is covered in thick ice.

I spent some time in Oslo today at the headquaters of DNT (theNorwegian trecking association). They had heaps of advice about planning trips especially if using their mountain huts. They have free planning maps which show the distance between huts marked in km or hours walking time. Anybody fancy a trip in autumn?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I saw pictures from a week ago with loads of snow just over the border in Sweden, all the webcams are showing snow on the roads and the weather said theyd had plenty of it.

Southern Norway has had much different weather to the north recently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE