2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That is most helpful! Vegs won't be a problem as long as they are being cooked.
So what about meat? Unless the cuts are very thin, cooking/grilling a frozen piece of meat will mean really 'killing' it and I like my steak rare ;)
"I am not fat, I have got my lunch strapped around my waist" :p

Honestly, in winter you want stews and soups. Getting enough iquids into you is a problem, since often every drop has to be melted. Making a quart of soup instead of a cup of solids and then drinking water on top of that is just extra work. Of course, one could boil the nice chunks of meat and veg, eat them and then drink the warm stock.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Honestly, in winter you want stews and soups. Getting enough iquids into you is a problem, since often every drop has to be melted. Making a quart of soup instead of a cup of solids and then drinking water on top of that is just extra work. Of course, one could boil the nice chunks of meat and veg, eat them and then drink the warm stock.

That makes 100% sense! Having said that, one of my hobbies is outdoor grilling so at least once I would like to attempt to make an arctic BBQ. I am taking my titanium purcell packer grill for when the conditions are good enough and/or we have the time to enjoy a meal.

I love soup and I love stews, so even if the BBQ doesn't happen I should be enjoying my dinners ;)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A packet containing my new RBH Vaprthrm socks turned up today from Canada! I'm impressed with the order time, I ordered these 2 weeks ago and they were custom made.

Trying them on in the house, they feel very warm and the material is much softer than I'd imagined. The outer is fleece and the inside feels like the inside of a single sided fleece

I'm hoping these will put to bed any need for spare boot liners, and keep the vile concoction of chemicals that my feet exude, sealed in and unable to melt anyones Sinuses or my snow hole.

I'll be testing them out as soon as I can to see how they work over a few days of wear.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hello, just thought this might interest you chaps, stumbled on this through our BcUSA cousins site, Its a Russian forum, this thread is about a chap establishing himself a long term lodge in the depths of winter, I used the google translate plug in for firefox to highlight text and translate each paragraph, worked a treat, and a great read with a lot of very good info! hope you find it useful:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hello, just thought this might interest you chaps, stumbled on this through our BcUSA cousins site, Its a Russian forum, this thread is about a chap establishing himself a long term lodge in the depths of winter, I used the google translate plug in for firefox to highlight text and translate each paragraph, worked a treat, and a great read with a lot of very good info! hope you find it useful:)

Without a doubt one of the best things I've read in a long long time. Many thanks for the link :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That's a good price, If I wasn't already sorted I'd go for that myself.

Thats good to know Wayland, thanks.

I'll order some anyway tomorrow on that basis and split it with myself if no-one else wants dibs on it before then.

Edit; Teedee is in on it, I'm ordering tomorrow.

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
What are your sock systems for in your boots?
I was thinking a thin merino liner sock and heavy wool outersocks, but I see three or four sock systems, with or without VBL socks. Any specific reason to use more than two socks?

I can put on two pair of thick socks and still wiggle my toes in my boots, but I cannot wiggle much inside my liners if you know what I mean. The liners feel snug with a reasonably thick insole and two pair of thick socks on. They don't cut off bloodsupply to my feet, but they are not loose. They are felt liners and should stretch a little and take on the shape of my feet. Should I have 'wiggle room' in my liners?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
From experience of badly fitting boots in very low temps and dry and wet snow, you should always have wiggle room, you need to be able to move your toes to stimulate the blood flow to your toes, else your feet and you will be in a lot of trouble.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
The boots are big enough but I am not sure if the liner should be loose as well. Now the liner fits sort of like a sock. The boot manufacturer states that the liner is going to take the shape of my feet (over a bit of time). It can only do this if the liners are snug, so the fit seems to be OK.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have a very small amount of toe wiggle in my Baffin pac's, inside the liners. There is virtually no movement in the boot between the boot and liner. They are 1.5 sizes too big for me, so I'm expecting them to squash a lot when I break them in, as they still feel snug like yours. The temps will drop soon enough and I can start wearing them in and find out for sure, Im not worried though.

My other baffins are the same size and I have loads of wiggle-bility.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
My set up , for socks only days ( Not felt liner, I only have one pair ! )
Thin liner sock, medium weight wool sock (at least 80%- 20 % wool )
Thick wool sock over the top.
With liners, be carefull that they are not too narrow if you have much underneath them ! It is not just toe wiggle room you need DUCky, make sue that by adding socks your boots do not become too tight over the widest, middle part of your foot!
Hope this helps.
My best.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE