2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
All the flight schedules on Norwegian have changed it appears, the prices too.

Theres no direct flight to Tromso now, Bardufoss has dropped in price compared to the Tromso flight I was looking at and theres some better prices arriving and leaving a couple of days earlier and later.

The flights below come in at £190 plus extra baggage.

http://www.norwegian.com/uk/flight/lowfare/?D_City=LGW&A_City=BDU&D_SelectedDay=08&D_Day=08&D_Month=201203&R_SelectedDay=18&R_Day=18&R_Month=201203&dFare=96&rFare=95&AgreementCodeFK=-1&CurrencyCode=GBP&rnd=41311&processid=92218

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
For some reason I can book a flight with Norwegian from Bardufoss to Amsterdam, but not the other way around :confused:
I think I still have to go via KLM to Oslo and then take Norwegian to Bardufoss. Flights back to Oslo are already filling up (probably being reserved for connecting flights). I am tempted to go ahead and make a booking.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm going to book soon, I can't see the prices falling and it still looks like the advanced will go ahead. Glad I didn't book earlier with the changed flight schedule!

I'm going to get there on the thursday I think, as I'd planned to do from Tromso, and have a little wander to Skjold or catch the bus and find a nice spot to camp up for a couple of nights. Its only about 25 miles from the airport to the course.

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I need to revisit my University math books.....

A return ticket with KLM Amsterdam Oslo is 99 euro, but a single is 724 euro :confused:
You can book a flight with Norwegian from Bardufoss to Amsterdam but not a return ticket, but I can fly with Norwegian on the same day from Amsterdam to Oslo and then from Oslo to Bardufoss.
A single ticket with Norwegian from Bardufoss to Oslo is 168, but if I book the same flight but fly on to Amsterdam (with a stop over in Oslo) it is only 119...... :confused:

This is going to have me up all night :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Coyote back came through today from House of DeClifford, nice and thick fur. A few holes in the hide but won't affect a Ruff-the vendor know it was for a ruff so picked out a thick pelt and knew the holes weren't a problem.

IMAG0380.jpg

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Nice looking fur Teepee!
I wouldn't mind a nice fur mitten set or a nice hat ;)

And now for something completely different :)
How much water does snow produce? It seems that on average somewhere in the range of 10 to 1 is fair. That would mean a 2.5 liter pot of snow would result in 250 ml of water. Does that sound right?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Not bad is it, won't be long now before it coated in snot, ice and food!

As an average, I'd say about 8-1

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
When I go backcountry skiing in Switzerland I stay in some mountain cabins without running water. They have 60 liter kettles on the fire all day and everyone has to join in the effort of keeping the pots filled up with snow.

I quite like a routine but it would be nice to get a cup of tea from one 'melt'. Potentially I could use my 700 ml ti mug for melting but at some point the routine is going to become tiresome...I think....

Don't want to come over as a lazy boy, but I would just like to make the most of our time out there.

Asuming we drink 3 liters of water a day, that would be something like 10 pots of snow in a 3 liter pot. Might have to check my fuel capacity.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There will be a 1L nalgene thrown in my bag at night as a hot water bottle and 1 or 2 flasks of boiling water too. The nalgene can get re-heated in the morning for a 2nd coffee, flask's used for the first coffee's and to help melt the snow more quickly.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... How much water does snow produce? It seems that on average somewhere in the range of 10 to 1 is fair. ... Does that sound right?

That's probably an underestimate for most snow. Light, freshly fallen snow may be less than a tenth of the density of water, but once it's on the ground and starts to pack it gets a lot denser. Most snow will approach one-third of the density of water fairly quickly as it settles. Scroll down to "Density" on this Wikipedia page for more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow

Incidentally in case it isn't obvious, a kilo of snow makes a kilo of water. :)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
We will gather detailed snow to water convertion data and get back with the verdict after march 2012 :)
We might even test your kilo to kilo hypothesis. I actually think one kilo of snow will make less than a kilo of water due to vapour escaping during melting ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Once I have some water in the pot I generally drop packed snowballs into the pot rather than loose snow.
makesnowman.gif

Not a great idea Wayland, your exposing less of the mass of frozen water to heat thus slower melting, small amount of water to start things off then add loose snow (I was told by a chum from Yellow Knife).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE