2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> What's your thoughts on it? If we are melting snow for all our water, we could do with some big(ger) pots. A billy can of snow isn't going to quench our thirst and melting it bit by bit will take quite a while. <Snip

I'm taking a couple of bigger pots over than I usually use.

Apart from the packing size there's not much difference to taking smaller pots. The weight is fairly similar.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I just got my Vapour Barrier suit delivered :)

The RBH designs VB clothing looks great but is quite pricey. I was going to make my own and then thought 'Sauna suit'! Turns out I'm not the first and theres a few people who have used these succesfully in the states as a VB in the cold.

I found one on the bay (linky)that looked good and is made from PU coated polyester, not the cheap PVC or plastic ones and at £20 delivered, not too pricey.

I'm going with a wearable suit so I can get out of my pit without having to get undressed and freezing my jacobs off, like I would with VB bag liner.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I'm taking a couple of bigger pots over than I usually use.

Apart from the packing size there's not much difference to taking smaller pots. The weight is fairly similar.

Quite right, I might take a 2.5 or even 4 liter pot along.

What are your thoughts on keeping your lunch from freezing? The excellent wintertrekking site suggest thawing out food in your sleepingbag overnight and than carrying it on your body during the day. You reckon we just stuff our pockets or would a belt or waist pack under the outer layers be best? I like the idea of some sort of small falconry type canvas bag. Would like to hear the thoughts of the experts :) Might be that we will be walking around in our swimwear because of global warning, but I think it is best to be prepared for proper chills.

forestwalker

In the case of potatoes cooking them direct from freezing is the way to go. Froozen, thawed and then cooked they taste strange, but put the froozen potatoe directly into boiling water and all is well (the heat denatures the enzymes that would start breaking down thr starch into sugar).

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
In the case of potatoes cooking them direct from freezing is the way to go. Froozen, thawed and then cooked they taste strange, but put the froozen potatoe directly into boiling water and all is well (the heat denatures the enzymes that would start breaking down thr starch into sugar).

That is most helpful! Vegs won't be a problem as long as they are being cooked.
So what about meat? Unless the cuts are very thin, cooking/grilling a frozen piece of meat will mean really 'killing' it and I like my steak rare ;)
"I am not fat, I have got my lunch strapped around my waist" :p

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well I've just re-examined my packing strategy and worked out that if I wear my jacket and parka onto the plane, carry my mountain pack loaded to 8kg, book a snow bag loaded up to 12kg, break my bergan down into a transfer bag loaded up to 20kg, I can take my pulk and more importantly a tripod too.
willynillycopy1.gif

I'd just better not buy any more gear.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Well I've just re-examined my packing strategy and worked out that if I wear my jacket and parka onto the plane, carry my mountain pack loaded to 8kg, book a snow bag loaded up to 12kg, break my bergan down into a transfer bag loaded up to 20kg, I can take my pulk and more importantly a tripod too.
willynillycopy1.gif

I'd just better not buy any more gear.

How much leaway have you got on the weight? Is it grams to spare?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Haha, time to saw your tootbrush handle off then?

I just found this.....

.....A pulk/canoe/tent. I doubt I could carry it but it looks very cool.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If my bags go overweight It just becomes time to stuff my pockets with heavy stuff like the camera equipment.

I just know I would regret it if I didn't get any good shots while I am out there so some things I won't compromise on.

That pulk looks alright providing you've got a Skidoo and plenty of fuel.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't blame you on the camera kit, taking some good snaps of the Nortehrn lights is an opportunity not presented often.

I'm stil working on what I'm taking. I've got extra hammocking kit and probably taking some snowshoes with me for the time before and after the course and I'm still tracking down a sabre 80-130..

Are you taking a shovel too?

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Asuming I wear my boots, wool coat and one set of clothes on the plane, Excel tells me I just hit the 20 kilogram mark for my pack for the hold (including my snow shovel). KLM will allow 23 kilograms and 12 kg cabin luggage but I understand Norwegian only allow 20 in the hold so I had best stick with 20 and put any additional bits in my cabin luggage. I am not planning on bringing much food on the plane and hope to get some supplies locally. I aim to get everything on board without an extra bag. If I go over the weight limit, I will change from regular clothes on the plane to Michelin man.

Wayland, cool that you are bringing a pulk. Is it for the regular program or are you going on an expedition by yourself?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE