2 night kit

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Hi, I have put together my kit for 2 nights in the woods, and as i am new to bushcraft id like to know if there is anything i need to add or remove.
It will be my first camp on my own.
I can carry all the weight and there is somethings i could do without e.g. hygiene kit but i want to enjoy my time in the woods and be clean:)

I will have a tarp
Sleeping bag and roll mat
Spare clothing
Food and water
Hygiene kit (toilet roll, trowel, toothbrush and toothpaste)

Food and water.
foodandwater.jpg

I will have a water bottle and either the 58 pattern mug or a enamel mug
If i cannot have a fire i will take a hexi stove or hobo stove
Homemade billy can or cook set
bowl
brew kit, kfs, pot gripper, scourer and tea towel

Fire kit.
firekit.jpg

Lighter and inner tube
matches and cotton wool
tampon, candle, hexi blocks and small dry wood.

Shelter/tools.
shelterandtools.jpg

As well as the tarp, sleeping bag and roll mat i will have
Emergency poncho and 2 survival blankets
knife and folding saw
swiss army knife, folding knife and duck tape

Navagation/Signalling/Safety.
safety.jpg

Torch and head torch
First aid kit
Compass, signal mirror and whistle.

Anything to add/remove? Thanks:)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What spare clothes are you taking?

How much water are you taking as well as any filtration system? You'd be surprised how much you need for 2 days.

Any waterproofs besides the emergency poncho?

Also why not use the crusader mug for drinking from and ditching the enamel mug

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I will take 2 pairs of spare socks, an extra freece and i wear waterproof trousers and top, will this be enough?

I have a ten litre water carrier but i camp near a stream so i may just take one water bottle and boil the water.

I cook and boil water in my billy can or cook kit so i take the enamel mug so i can have a drink and still be able to cook, I would not take the metal mug and enamel mug :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
sounds good to me, i would just add a touch up stone for the blades and another water bottle regardless to the stream 2L min for me, just in case your main 1 breaks, spare batteries for torch and map.......

more brew kit 3 brews in 2 days would almost kill me......lol.. :)

regards/

chris....

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I may take my 58 pattern water bottle if i take the mug or just another empty drinks bottle

i am trying to find a map of the area i want to camp in but ive had no luck at the moment, but i know the land quite well

i have a box of coffee satchets, whitner and sugar but just put 3 in the photo for a example, i drink 3 a day! :D

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
In my first aid kit i have:
Nail Clippers
Tweezers
Surgical sissors
Safety pins
Earplugs, stanley blades and small blades (didnt have nowhere else to put them)
Elastic gauge bandage
Assorted sized plasters
Sterile gorge dressing
Alcohol prep pad
Non Adherent Sterile pad

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I also carry paracetemol but the ones i had passed the date on the box so i have to get more, never had to use them but its better to have them there than not need them, than to need them and not have them!:)

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
If you're camping next to a stream you'll only need a bottle so you can have a drink while walking in/out so in my opinion there's little point carrying the extra weight. You seem to have it pretty well covered I'd say. One thing I didn't notice was cordage. Paracord, garden twine or whatever. It's a rare trip when I don't use some. I carry a pack of biodegradable baby wipes. I dry them out because I resent packing the water, they can be dampened easily enough when needed. By washing the right bits in the right order it's possible to have a pretty thorough wash with a single one. If you've been sweating hiking in then getting clean before settling down for the night will make you feel a lot more human and will help prevent skin irritations. A lot of that type of kit just comes own to personal preferences though. For example I always camp alone so my first aid kit is tiny. Plasters, wound closures, one small vial of eye wash, a single large dressing and a good selection of pain killers. I realised they would cover minor injuries, and if it was a major one I'd be walking out for assistance anyway so one large dressing would be enough. It was daft to be carrying items I'd never use.

Other than that, I'd add one more vital bit of kit to your list. Lots of chocolate. It solves so many of the small irritations of camp life.
You wake up cold.... eat some chocolate. Feel better about it.
You realise while setting up that you forgot a bit of kit..... eat chocolate. Realise you never use it anyway.
Struggling with the fire because it's been raining for 3 days. Sit under your tarp and eat chocolate. You know it makes sense.

You'll probably find that for your first few solo trips you'll be working out the kinks in your kit and deciding what bits you'd like to add or replace. Most people tend to go lighter.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
get down the chemist or something and get some alcohol hand gel. dirty hands + food prep is bad, use water from the stream to wash crud off your hands then the alcohol gel to keep you safer when handling food

you havent said what food your taking, remember it all adds up and things like plastic tupperware or bags are lighter than tins, dehtydrated noodles etc are good from supermarkets for being light. try take some dried fruit aswell. also water weighs 1kg per litre so thats worth bearing in mind. I usually take 3l for an overnight trip, i use boil in the bag stuff so i dont have to wash the pans. 3L works out about right for me weight wise and quantity. I usually carry sterilisers tablets or a millbank bag though incase i need more

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Please pardon my ignorance here. I wildcamp, but don't have much of a clue about woodcraft skills so I have probably missed the point.

Why take a SAK and a folder plus saw plus fixed blade? - Signal mirror? Why take the two space blankets and survival poncho when you have your bag and tarp?

If it were me, I would ditch some of the sharp stuff, the mirror and the poncho / foil blankets. I would take an appropriate marching compass and map of the area

Kit lists are always a nightmare, we all do things differently. :)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I have paracord attatched to my tarp ready for set-up but ill have to take some extra- could come in handy! :)

For food i take boil in the bag meals and empty beans into pour and stour bags and they can be cooked that way, I sometimes take some bacon and eggs for breakfast but a small box of cereal and little bit of milk is sometimes carried.

I carry the SAK as it has some nice features that come in handy and its a extra blade, the folder is new and i want to test it to see if its any good, but if its not i got my mora!:D I take the saw to cut fire wood, and then i can split it with the mora

I take the signal mirror for the same reason as the first aid kit- i dont want to use it but if i have to its there.
I take 2 space blankets as i seen a video on youtube where 1 was used as a reflector on the fire and the second was used inside the tarp to reflect the heat, i thought it was worth a try for the weight :D The emergency tarp weighs next to nothing but it could be used as a extra water proof and i could wear it and still cover my pack, I may ditch it though

In my kit i have a sliva compass but i havent been able to find a good map of the area at the moment

Thanks for all the replies! :)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
A cheap alternative to a Bivvy bag proper would be one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMERGENCY-SUR...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c1583c97b

Lighter and more like a proper Bivvy bag I would recommend this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Adventure-Bivvi-Bag-Olive/dp/B001EZ1PH2/ref=pd_cp_sg_2

Otherwise an army surplus used goretex bag http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.c...ng=bivvy&SUBMIT.x=18&SUBMIT.y=6&SUBMIT=SUBMIT

note the need for repairs which isn't a huge problem but there will also be postage on that so upping the cost

I have the Gelert and its fine for hammock and tent use but if you are planning on ground dwelling I would seriously consider an army one
Check out the classifieds as they do come up at reasonable prices

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE