10cm billy and Diy stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hi , i put this little lot together recently, packs down nice and small in its own leather sack.10cm Zebra billy with DIY stove. The whole lot will just about fit into PLCE waterbottle Pouch if needed.Cheers.
Darren

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a nice little setup Darren

What did you use for the stove part ? Is that a sink strainer the tablets are sat on ?

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hi shewie, the outer stove part is off a greenheat stove,the inner i cut the bottom off a drinks can and placed some mesh (car body repair mesh)in it to hold the fuel tablets, i can even use a Pepsi can stove with this set up.Thanks
Darren

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Thanks Wayland i may post it on the Hobo gallery , i have posted another hobo stove on there before after being inspired by your creation. Thanks .
Darren

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Tidy little set up, Lovely little cooker too, I like the way you have the mesh, does it come out or is it fixed? I have been thinking about different designs of little can stoves and I like the way you can have it as a hexi or meths cooker.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Thanks guys , yes it is possible to make a meths pepsi can stove and incorporate a hexi stove into it.Just flip the pepsi stove can upside down and place the mesh into the bottom and the the hexi onto it. Cheers
Darren

Last edited:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hi urbanST,without sounding as if im showing off ,i did it in one hit using some kit i had lying around,it worked first time the only thing new was the billy.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Radix Lecti

As you have just made this combo, and look like you like making stuff, can I make a couple of suggestions.

One thing I always do to my Zebra billies is to add a 'lock' for the handle. This makes them easy to use, and also means you can pour water/food from the billy while only holding the handle, so there is no need for gloves or other implements.

I have tried to take a pic of a handle lock, but as my billy is a well used one (for that read: dirty lol), I am not sure how well it will show.

This is in the locked position:

handledownIMG_0890.jpg

This is unlocked, so the handle can fold for storage:

handleupIMG_0891.jpg

The locks are made from either old issue hexi stoves (nice steel) or from tin cans.

This is a rough idea of their design:

lockdesign.jpg

Its a bit like a capital 'T' with the lower leg rolled over, so it slides between the pot and handle nicely, the the top right arm folds around the handle, followed by a double fold of the left arm around the handle. You could JB weld or solder them together, but I have never bothered and have not had any issues.

As for using hexi with a pepsi/coke can stove. I would only ever turn the stove upside down and use its concave base. I would leave the top clear though, as this leaves the perfect space to put a tea light. This can be used for lighting (no surprises there) or for fire lighting etc. You can even use a citronella tea light for getting rid of insects.

If you do prefer the mesh option, then you can always 'mirror polish' the base of your stove, so it can be used like a magnifying glass for fire lighting (or just to provide a funny reflection of you for amusement lol).

Just a few ideas, but the handle lock makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hello Ray , thanks for the tips and yes i like to make things.Im impressed with your handle lock design which i may borrow :). After boiling i do use a pan grip holder for pouring out the contents but the handle lock design looks the better option. I have only recently started using a Billy( usually a steel mug man),so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks also to everyone else who has commented.
Darren

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi again.

Borrow anything you like....or just make it yourself and use it lol.

I have a lock on each side of the pan, as a 'belt and braces measure' although only one is needed. I'm all for making life easier, and this helps!
When serving to friends, I can pour from my billy (I usually use a much bigger Zebra), while holding their plate/bowl in the other hand (AKA 'being mother' lol)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE