Kolrosing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Kolrosing.jpg

I can turn my hand to a few different crafts but woodwork is not one of my strong ones. I can get leather and metal to do just about anything I want, but I learnt very quickly that you can't force wood to do anything that doesn't suit it.

I can carve a little, this old spoon is about the limit of my skills in this department, but a good friend once showed me a great little technique for decorating wood, called kolrosing, that even I can manage.

Unlike carving, this does not remove any material from the object being decorated. What you do is make a shallow cut in the surface of the wood with the tip of a sharp knife and then rub powdered wood or bark into the cut, much like scrimshaw work.

Traditionally the powered bark was something like the inner bark of birch or alder which was darker than the wood and would show up well. Many people now use coffee powder as a convenient replacement but I prefer to use cinnamon powder which is just powdered bark after all. I decorated the kuksa above that Debs bought me for Yule and the spoon in just this way.

I start by marking out my design with a soft pencil which helps to avoid mistakes then follow the pencil lines with the tip of a sharp knife. Some people use special knives for the purpose but a craft knife works quite well enough. When the cuts have been made, rub the cinnamon or whatever else you are using into the cuts with the tip of your finger.

Now for the clever bit. Rub the surface over with a drop of oil. You could use any wood working oil but because I am often using the items for food preparation or eating with I usually use olive oil. The oil should make the design stand out a little darker but it also sets the powder into the cuts in a very permanent manner, like a wooden tattoo. Short of sanding or carving right down to the bottom of the cut, nothing will shift it.

As a useful side effect, the oil will also remove any lingering traces of the pencil lines.

All that remains to be done now is sand the item down a little to remove any raised edges around the cuts, give a final polish with oil and you have finished.

It's a great technique for decoration but also for simply labelling your equipment in places where it might be mixed up with others. Have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orhdposs

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very very nice! I bought a kolrosing knife and a video from Del Stubs but just have not gotten around to trying it. :eek: I really love the design around the rim of that kuksa.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done Gary, just gives them that extra bling factor.

Do the symbols under the kuksa rim mean anything ?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The runic inscription is in old Norse.

Byrði betri
berrat maðr brautu at
en sé manvit mikit
auði betra
þykkir þat í ókunnum stað

A man does not bear
a better burden on the road
than is great commonsense;
it seems a greater wealth
in an unknown place --

It's one of my favourite parts of the Havamal.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I intend to pick up a Kuksa on New Years Eve from Tamarack (I'm in Garstang for a party, and it woul dbe bad manners not to call in :rolleyes: )and will have a go at decorating it shortly after I sober up!

I have looked up how to spell my name using the Anglo-Saxon Fuþorc and will probably go with that!

Simon

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
That's really effective Wayland, I also think that you are selling yourself a little bit short on the woodworking front.:). Those short lines must be really tricky yet you have them nailed.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
They look great and something ive been meening to give a go on my kuksa.
Robin/Nicola Wood sugests using Walnut oil as it naturally cures dry unlike olive oil, and it worked a treat on my eating utensils with great colour. Costs about the same from the supermarket.

Reactions: Wayland

DarbyFett

Sep 30, 2008
Texas
Amazing. I recently had a kuksa made for me in Finland that I would love to decorate in a similar manner. But I may try it on the cheap one I got on ebay first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE