Catapult making.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 1, 2024
LANCASHIRE
Got a few decent Y stick and need to season and make some catapults out them.

Do you have any tips on seasoning wood and how to prep them?
Was shown to strip all the bark to prevent rot, not to force dry them, and leave for at least two months, discarding those that crack or show signs of splitting.

Just wondered what the popular way was.

Also tips on the best wood.
Got some black cherry today.

But wondered what is best/Easiest to work/ best laminated/etc.

Thanks

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
I was always told to leave bark on and dip the ends in PVA or wax when drying to prevent splitting, and the lo her the better, again to prevent splits, 12 months etc.

You can look into microwaving them, but I can't advise on this except I know it's done.

i'm cooking over open fire, so after pre- drying (cut a bit longer and bark left on) i cut to size, peel and then "season" the forks in the smoke over my fire (iirc quarterstaffs and shillelaghs were cured the same way), last step before putting bands on are pyrography (optional) and a rub with a bit of mineral oil

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I just leave my forks 'long' for about a month. I tend to peel them green because it's easier and then just rub a wax/oil mixture in once dry and trimmed to size. Most of the ones I've made in the past have been hazel and I don't bother seasoning them in any other way - they can easily take the loads being applied. I've got one ready to make up that has a near 90degree bend just below the Y which I'll put a strap on to make a natural wrist brace.

My quarterstaffs are just dried and not otherwise seasoned at all; I prefer them with a little 'give'. I do decorate them over a fire though. On the subject of shillelaghs; I am told that they were often seasoned at the bottom of a dung heap :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE