Do you love billhooks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Hi do you love Billhooks but feel left out?
Does it get to much when everybody gets out their shiney SFAs and your billhook is dull and pitted?
Are you feeling left out because you dont have a snappy leather sheath but carry yours in a sack.

I understand I love billhooks to.

BRING BACK THE BILLHOOK:You_Rock_

Mark

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I have had one for ages and far prefer mine to an axe. Got given an old one last week which i need to rehandle. The previous owner was about to throw it in a skip.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I don't yet but I expect I'm going too. I've got a kilometer of hedge to lay soon.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I like bill hooks, they're excellent for many things and can chop as well as most smaller axes. it's worth the time developing some skill with them.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I found an old one on a friends land. Spent ages putting an edge back on it whilst sat around the fire. I used it for a few hours for general camp chores and it was brilliant!

The my friend turned up saw what i had done with the old billhook, said "thanks for that" and took it away :(

Not found one since..

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use one sometimes. Like everthing else its horses for courses. Very good for trimming, splitting etc. I find it best to maintain a coarser edge on a billhook than say a knife or axe, as the edge is easily rolled (by me at least!)
I use mine a lot on the shoot for keeping rides clear and cutting flushing breaks in cover crops, mostly use axe and knife for bushcraft though.

Dave

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
hmmm, I've been looking at getting a big knife/"chopper" recently.
if I recall right my grandad has a couple of billhooks sitting in his garage, slowly rusting. I might ask him if I can pinch one (or both) and clean them up.

I could allways grind the hook part off to make a more conventional if I didn't like it......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
yes to be honest. When gathering sticks/branches and kindling for the fire (most weekends) I tend to use a billhook rather there than a SFA. Although I've jsut strated using a parang from time to time now.

If I use an axe it tends to be a felling one for splitting logs.

Well when I eventually get back over to see you :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind seeing one in action.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I used to prefer the billhook we had for chopping sticks as a kid over the axe we had.
I have not used one in nearly 30 years since we got gas fire.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I like using billhooks alot and i cant say i feel left out?I doubt anyone i know would care less what my axe had stamped on it...an axe is an axe.
They both have their place and uses.If youre lucky you can pick up decent hooks for very little.
I was umming and ahhing at the SFA's at a wood fair this year and backed down,bought a antique W.Swift hook and nice lil' folding knife instead.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My relationship with Bill is a private matter that need not concern you Mark!

Oh I see what you mean...actually I could be quite keen on the one you brought up to the last BNO - or its brother....:)

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
This is great I dont feel like the odd one out, Even though I am odd and often out.
I might put up pics later if I can find any.

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got two :approve: and a sickle (cheers Jojo :D) and a machete (cheers Warthog1981 :D) and I use them all.

I think it really depends on what you're doing with them. Green stuff, like hedging, hurdles, clearing brash, bracken and the like, they're brilliant. I've even roughed out a blank for burned out bowl with one. They're pretty good for making kindling too :) Pretty neat at tidying up logs as well, and no' bad at the debarking.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE