Biker's Woodspirit a.k.a. "Beserker"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Had one of those Sunday's today. Alison my partner's been glued to the TV watching the celebrations of Her Royal Highness and bemoaning the fact that I'm missing out on this historic occasion. Now I'm proud of the Queen and all, but having the gogglebox in the corner tell me how I should spend my day with has-been celebs crawling out of the woodwork presenting it, just ain't my idea of fun. So I took myself off to the workshop and got busy with something I'd been planning on doing for a while now. A Woodspirit... of sorts.

Now I REALLY like Woodspirit's woodspirit carvings but I wanted to have a go at doing a slightly different version of it, based on something I'd already done over 20 years ago on the back of my leather jacket.

Here it is.

All set up ready for the chisels.

Berserker01.jpg

Basic sketch down and under starter's orders.

Berserker02.jpg

If you were hoping for a tutorials, sorry. I got so wrapped up in carving I just didn't bother with the camera. So here's Berserker under harsh light.

Berserker03.jpg

And outside in the sunshine. You can see how stringy the wood is. Easy to carve but a pain in the butt to get a decent finish.

Berserker04.jpg

As I said this was inspired by Woodspirit's work but made in my own style and based on a painting I did 20+ years ago on a leather jacket. I got the original idea from a series of BRILLIANT books I read way back in the early 80's.
Click on the link for the original picture http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xsmnOkPIZ1Q/TIY1YbA16aI/AAAAAAAAAnk/RWDwZCH-5Ak/s1600/img105.jpg

If I ever had a tattoo that would be it. I've not got tired of looking at that painting in 30+ years, which is a sure-fired way of saying that would be a good tat for me.

Berserker05.jpg

These are the tools I used. The Dremel wannabe is pretty good and I invested in a series of carving points and cutters for it.

Berserker06.jpg

The wood is still too green and is feathering up and rather stringy. So I've set it on the window cill in direct sunlight and hope it drys out enough so I can get back to this another day and do some more detail work on. The eyes need to come alive and a network of skin wrinkles and creases for the hair, but otherwise I'm really pleased with the basic carving I've got done this afternoon. I hope Her Highness will be pleased with how one of her subjects commemorated her special day today.

Thanks for looking Folks.

Edit July 7th

Well, I dragged back some of carving tools from the place I should be moving into soon, I'm having problems with the electrics, so it's delayed again So with the weather being rather damp and me needing something to do with my hands I thought I'd finish my Berserker.

This is how he looked once all the finer details had been done, it seemed no matter what I did I couldn't get the fluffy grain to settle.

Berserker07.jpg

So I applied a coat of linseed oil and voila, the grain went flat. So pleased about that too.

Berserker08.jpg

And with the harsh light coming in the window to my former workshop it really shows off the shadows.

Berserker09.jpg

I drilled two 3mm holes for his pupils then rounded them out using an awl, worked better than I expected, and it's that sort of final detail that can make or break an expression. It'd too easy to make him cross-eyed if one pupil was slightly off line.

So this is him all done and dusted. Really REALLY pleased with the end result. Thanks for reading.

Berserker10.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you know Donagh O'Riordan ? Head honcho of the Damnonii, with an alter ego as a Templar Knight :)
I swear he could be the model for that :D

Really pretty cool Biker :approve:

cheers,
M

Biker

Thanks for the comments and feedback folks.

The wood's Lime. We had a rotton tree right by our driveway which was a risk to it coming down over the winter, so with a mate of mine we brought it down in a controlled demolition (FUN!!!) I saved some of the thicker branches in a plastic sack for carving projects, the rest got split and logged and is drying out for the woodburner one winter.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Ah, only reason I asked as I had a small piece of Alder that was as stringy as his Noodlyness. Not worked with Lime yet, but if it takes edges like that (string aside) that's some great definition! Looking forward to the continuation.

Biker

Thanks for the comments. I'm tempted to go with the whole head thing Southey, we'll see what the wood has to say about that. I have some small points of deer antler I could even set into his helmet as Viking horns. (much to the disgust of Wayland I suspect with that historical misconception.)

Hey Mike, love the idea of the knotwork decoration on it too, hadn't really gave much thought past getting the face carved really. I just needed to get that creative step out the way. It's been bugging me to actually do this carving since I saw Woodspirit's latest creation the other week.

When I said about storing the Lime in a plastic sack I should clarify I did leave it to dry a bit on the wood shed for 4 months and then put in in a shopping bag to preserve what moisture there was left in it. The wood's very soft too and a pleasure to carve. almost like carving a potato. I just hope it hardens up over time as all those little detail aspects, like his nose, might get donked off over time.

Thanks Barn Owl, glad you liked the painting too. That was done 20+ years ago and I know I can do better now. There was a time when I did paintings on the back of leather jackets for bikers, nice little pocket money earner that was too, kept my kids in nappies at least. Haven't done much painting since though if any... except the front room walls.

Ain't it funny? Last night before I posted this I read through it so I wouldn't sound too much of a numpty with typos, hit post new thread and then clocked the typo in the title. D'oh! That should be "Berserker". I was going to call him Percy but he doesn't really seem like a Percy to me, hmmm maybe a Sharon or an Alice perhaps?

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
that looks great. just need to be patient now and let it dry to get the desired finish. Have you ever tried working hawthorn? I was fortunate enough to aquire a few workable sized pieces a year ago when an arborist friend of mine had a little mishap (a tree he was bringing down did a little twist on it's way down and took a couple of limbs off an innocent hawthorn growing next to it) I made a couple of tatting shuttles. I was looking for a close grained wood that didnt need any finish but would smooth well enough so as not to snag any threads. I still haven't got the hang of posting pictures so I'll have to put them on my FB page then let you know where to look

Biker

Hi Colin,
Well somehow I have been patient, bt not for long. I've now put it on the dashboard of the car when I'm out working now and the sun beats down on it, when it's sunny of course so it should dry out quite rapidly like that. Yes I risk it splitting but what the hell eh?

No I haven't worked with Hawthorn before. To be honest I've not been that adventurous with different woods. Just the stuff you buy at Jewsons and use to make house out of. I have used the common hardwoods for furniture etc. I think this is the first time I've ever used Lime for anything other than firewood. This is the third Woodspirit carving I've ever done, the other two were female Dryad faces in walking staffs.

Looking forward to seeing any pix you have. As for inserting images it's really not that hard. All you need is to have the image uploaded somewhere online on a public account that anyone can view it at then paste the website link into the text of a reply here. However before you do that you need to have
after it. So the link is sandwiched in the middle. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thanks for the comments. I'm tempted to go with the whole head thing Southey, we'll see what the wood has to say about that. I have some small points of deer antler I could even set into his helmet as Viking horns. (much to the disgust of Wayland I suspect with that historical misconception.) <Snip
I'll let you off the horns providing you carve the whole "Bear-Shirt" (ber-serkr in Old Norse)
viking.gif

Biker

I'll let you off the horns providing you carve the whole "Bear-Shirt" (ber-serkr in Old Norse)
viking.gif

Well that's my new thing I've learnt today. Might as well go back to bed now I s'pose. :lmao:

Thanks Gary.

Think I'll carry on some more with this carving at the weekend. I just noticed I have a well seasoned log in the basement about 18" long and 6" diameter that would be just perfect to do a larger version of this head on. Should be fun carving into seasoned wood but the end results could be sooo worth it.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Thanks for the comments and feedback folks.
controlled demolition (FUN!!!)

I'm sorry - but that's reminded me of taking some trees down in my dads back garden when we were younger. And has been someting I've tried to instill in to my kids - the CONTROLLED part of it anyway...

Oh by the way nice carving too...

I've been meaning to look in on Betty as well...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE