Biker's Woodspirit a.k.a. "Beserker"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Hi Aaron totally missed this, doh!

exellent choice of wood, please dont burn any more and yes it will harden off in no time ive found it varies on the time of the year rising sap etc :D really fantastic expression as befits the name. i too am looking forward to the finishing detail

your dremel type bits will soon clean it up to your high standards really good work mate well done :)

Steve

Biker

Hey Aaron is this still in the works? cant wait to see this badboy finished and blood annointed!

Berserker carving in the basement workshop. Tools packed in a box 9 miles away :dunno:

Might haul some of them back here and have a fiddle over the weekend. I'm betting the wood has seasoned up nicely by now. Just hope it hasn't split.

DON'T mention blood annointing! :nono: After reading Dancan's thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93239 I can do without any dramas like that. :lmao: Would you believe I sliced a bread roll in half yesterday and the bread was softer than I thought and the serrated breadknife kept on going. Did yelp a bit but twas just a tiny nick. I was expecting claret all over the kitchen... ceiling and all.

Biker

awh go on... a small sacrifice.....just a little finger! :lmao:

Well OK, but only if you're sure. I'll PM you my address for you to send it to. But if it impedes your skill at counting to ten or playing the piano don't come wailing to me, blame... "The Berserker" (dun dun dunnnnn)

You Scots really are a strange breed. I can understand why the Hadrian needed that wall :rofl:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i would acquiesce Aaron but im in enough pain already after deciding to spend 3 hours yesterday tattooing all around my arm and elbow inside and out with more pictish spirals. i think losing a finger would tip me over the pain threshold now! :lmao: however...send me a bottle of whisky and ill see what i can do...

Biker

i would acquiesce Aaron but im in enough pain already after deciding to spend 3 hours yesterday tattooing all around my arm and elbow inside and out with more pictish spirals. i think losing a finger would tip me over the pain threshold now! :lmao: however...send me a bottle of whisky and ill see what i can do...

As someone once said on a forum "This posting is useless without pictures." :22:

You're a braver man than I Gunga-din:lmao:

I see what you mean about the species point Mike, they do indeed appear to be a strange lot. My Daughters live there now and both have Scottish boyfriends, and my stepdad's from Glasgow. I think it's a subtle attempt at world domination.

On the way home from work today and swung by and picked up my carving chisels, so i'll set my black & Decker workmate up tomorrow in the basement and start the finishing the details on this. I've decided to leave this one as is and just concentrate on the face. I'll do another one, only bigger scale another time and try to incorporate the celtic knotwork suggestion. I'm too pleased with this one as is to risk messing it up by embelishing it.

Move over Woodspirits (Steve), there's a new kid in town :lmao:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
pictures when the swelling goes down, may be several days :lmao:. everyone always says the inside of the elbow joint and the elbow are some of the most painful areas....i should have listened!

a bigger woodspirit too sounds awesome. as i said before it reminds me of the lewis chessmen. you could do a whole hnefatafl set ;) no pressure haha

Biker

Hey folks, The Berserker's all done now. Spent a good part of today working on him and toshed a coat of linseed oil on him and he looks reall swish. Check out the first posting in this thread. I added the pix in there to keep some sort of continuity.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PS This definetely WON'T be the last woodspirit I do.

That's really lovely work! I've no experience of using Dremel type tools for carving. Roughly what percentage of the work was done using the Dremel? (I'm keen to speed up my own work and I'm wondering if it is worth investing in something like that).

Biker

That's really lovely work! I've no experience of using Dremel type tools for carving. Roughly what percentage of the work was done using the Dremel? (I'm keen to speed up my own work and I'm wondering if it is worth investing in something like that).

Thanks for the replies folks. Much appreciated.

The wannabe Dremel tool and carving points got a grand total of about 1% usage. The things really too small to warrent using a cutting tool like that, but the 1% of time I did use it could have been done with the chisel. At the time the wood was so green I could almost use my fingernail to carve it. The wood is Lime and came from a tree felled in February this year. I stacked the logs form the branches in the woodshed at the back so they'd stay green. Carving was a delight, but the final smooth finish had to wait until the wood dried out a bit.

Bety carving? Hmmmm such a beauty is beyond my meager skills. Did carve a wood nymph into a walking staff a couple of years ago and that turned out pretty good. But Betty .... Naaaaah.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE