Attaching new points onto the DD camo tarp to make up for the missing loops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
Hi, I recently bought the DD camo tarp and only realised later that the recent batch have loops missing (some of the webbing has been cut off at the factory somehow). My question is does anyone have any ideas for attaching new loops onto a tarp? Has anyone ever had a webbing tear off their tarp and done a repair? There is some webbing attached to the tarp on 2 sides but it doesn't extend out of from the edge. I fear that if I sew new points on, I'll introduce weakened areas that will rip in the future.

Thanks

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi there.

Not had that problem, but you could try a search for "clingons".... No, seriously. They grip the material and the stronger the pull, the stronger the grip... Give me five mins and I'll put up a link...

ATB,

KP

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi, I recently bought the DD camo tarp and only realised later that the recent batch have loops missing (some of the webbing has been cut off at the factory somehow). My question is does anyone have any ideas for attaching new loops onto a tarp? Has anyone ever had a webbing tear off their tarp and done a repair? There is some webbing attached to the tarp on 2 sides but it doesn't extend out of from the edge. I fear that if I sew new points on, I'll introduce weakened areas that will rip in the future.

Thanks

Send it back, their customer service is excellent.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I considered sending it back but when I looked at their site it states at the bottom of the section that it has points missing. I never noticed it at the time but i guess it was sold stating this issue.

Thanks for the link to the cling ons; i never knew they existed.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
i take it it was sold as seen so no returns,i would go the clingon wrought

Search back a little in the forum and you will find reports of problems with the MC tarp ripping, following this I think a pair of attachment points were removed on each long side from that batch. As you say the description is quite clear about how many there are so it is not actually a defect.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
What you don't want to do is try to stitch on your own with a domestic sewing machine. The stitches are too close and it weakens the fabric, and ripping easily occurs. And yes, I had to learn this the hard way.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Waaaiiit the clips are silly. Use a rounded pebble (or something else) as an anchor to tie a knot around a point in the fabric. Way simpler and one less thing to carry.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What you don't want to do is try to stitch on your own with a domestic sewing machine. The stitches are too close and it weakens the fabric, and ripping easily occurs. And yes, I had to learn this the hard way.

Ooops! But you can do it with the right design and no less important the right needle. The design needs to match the stretch of the fabrics reasonably well, and also the attached pieces need to be shaped so that the loads are transmitted over a large area of the fabric and not all in a narrow line, or (worse) a point. They use a ball point needle to stitch a lot of man made fibre fabrics so that instead of piercing the fibres the needle pushes them to one side and takes the thread through the gaps between fibres. This is all part of the product development and it's (hopefully) part of what you're paying for if you buy something off the shelf instead of making it yourself.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

You may have inadvertantly used the wrong needles (,leather,jeans) or your machine can't alter the stitch length if you have weakened the fabric.

Decent domestic machines are more than capable of doing this work. Whether its done on an industrial or domestic machine, they both use needles. Its important that the fabric isn't cut by the needle as a leather/jeans needle would, it needs to pass between the weave of the fabric, not cut it to avoid weakening of the fine fibres.

I use Shmetz Microtex or universal needles if possible for this kind of work. Universals are a very fine ballpoint and microtex are made for tightly woven modern fabric.

Edit; Jed beat me to it :)

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Ooops! But you can do it with the right design and no less important the right needle. The design needs to match the stretch of the fabrics reasonably well, and also the attached pieces need to be shaped so that the loads are transmitted over a large area of the fabric and not all in a narrow line, or (worse) a point. They use a ball point needle to stitch a lot of man made fibre fabrics so that instead of piercing the fibres the needle pushes them to one side and takes the thread through the gaps between fibres. This is all part of the product development and it's (hopefully) part of what you're paying for if you buy something off the shelf instead of making it yourself.

I'm very aware of all of this. Nonetheless, a hole is a hole, and introducing a nylon thread (or any thread) in between fibers will weaken the fabric. If you look at a tarp you will often find stitch lengths of up to 4-6 mm, and that is for a reason. The same with items made for sustaining loads, upholstery, backpacks, saddles, sails, boat tarps, banners etc. It's mostly in apparel and household textiles you'll find the small stitches that a domestic machine can produce (well, surprise, it's called domestic for a reason..). Sure, you can make do with the old household singer for many projects that will be put under stress, but when put to the test, they may break. My modded tarp ripped it self from it's attachment points in a gale and I got caught between a rock and a hard place, sleep in rain and wind or start walking. No real danger or anything, just discomfort.

My domestic machine (an old 50's brothers zig zag which outpowers any modern machine) can do 2-3 mm stitches tops. However, I have a industrial walking foot machine on its way for stuff like this. Tired of adjusting the timing after sewing heavy canvas and leather, and tired of having fabrics get ripped because of too many stitches. There's a reason why most store bought items aren't sewn with a domestic machine ya know :)

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Re clingons, are the smaller ones safe for a normal tarp? I'm assuming with the smaller grip they will have a tendency to tear the fabric if overloaded. I've got a tarp that could do with a few extra pegging points, but the larger ones look a bit cumbersome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE