Suggestions on Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would add a couple more to the list - Shinken and Jojo.

Shinken did my Puukko (which is about as traditional as it comes in design terms) and its startlingly good. Jojo made my Nessmuk - again very traditional but brilliantly made.

Interestingly though two more different knives are hard to imagine. One is great for wood and utility. One is more game and camp use.

I have had a Paul Baker and it was a very competent knife - but I would suggest getting something individual that suits your needs and tastes.

Red

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Of course there is always the man... Alan Wood.

You could though lose a lot of hair by the time you take delivery and I don't mean for the RM Woodlore!

Anyone know for sure how long the waiting list for one of these is or indeed if AW is still offering it at this time?

aw.jpg

Handle material of your choosing I would add as the scales on this are apparently "pants"!

Cheers

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
my only custom is a bernie garland hybrid in damascus,

berniegarlandhybrid004.jpg

i love it, it looks great and does everything want it to do, i prefer an upswept blade profile as its easyer to control when cutting wood.

but if not bernie garland id go for some of lances "driftwoodwalker" work, its first class and absaloutly beautiful

ATB
Josh

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I'll put in a vote for Roger Harrington, Bison Bushcraft. His Bushmans Pal is a great little knife if you're in the market for a compact bushcraft knife.

As per others I'd concur that you wouldn't be sorry with anything Alan Wood or Stuart Mitchell either.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
A good up and coming knife maker is HillBill,excellent quality and very good prices.

Another recommendation for Hillbill here. Great build quality, great value and a really nice guy to deal with. And I would imagine that you won't have a massive long wait either :)

He makes a good cup of coffee too :D

HTH

Rat

leon-1

I'll also say look at Roger Harrington, his work is good and solid. The knives are well made, the grind is good and Roger does turn out some lovely looking knives.

Roger has also put a lot of thought into the design of his knives mainly because he uses them on a day to day basis teaching bushcraft.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'll leave it up to the experts...and you need the right tools!

I've handled blades with ordinary hand tools from the shed.
It's really not difficult and can save you a good bit of money.

Makers blades are quite cheap and they can supply you with bolts and liners usually.

Scales can be gotten easily for practically peanuts.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Or go on a Dave Budd knife making course and make your own...
It costs about the same as buying a custom bushcraft knife and you will treasure your knife for ever - or even start a whole new hobby.
I know it has changed my life...:)

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Another vote here for Roger Harrington

His bushcraft knives are superb

Also have an Alan Wood on order myself

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I put together an Enzo from http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Categories?category=Knifemaking:Enzo

It came out excellent, a nice size and weight and as sharp as you can get a blade. I went for a Trapper in D2 steel and the Curly Birch scales. It took one day and a few common tools. The only thing I needed to buy was some Tung Oil and Epoxy. I will say, it was cheaper to buy the whole, finished knife and sheath than to "do it yourself" but I did get a feeling of pride from making it up and I had a sheath that fit already. Hope that helps BGAdvo. Cheers.

Last edited:

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'd second Roger Harrington. I've seen his knives up close and can see the thought he's put into the ergonomics.

Of course you could go for a part-time maker on here who manages about 1 knife a year but puts his heart and soul into it ...can't remember his name:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE