Camera recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I’m thinking of hanging up the centerfire and investing the cash I get from selling it, on a decent dslr. Budget < $1500 maybe a little more. Any suggestions?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
This is where you get the Canon vs Nikon arguments :)

Mostly based on purchase justification!

Choose a lens range, buy a camera body to match, both N & C are fantastic but others compare.

If I was starting now - I'd buy the best mirrorless compatible lenses I could and a cheap mirrorless body with the idea of upgrading the body later. Whatever you buy, you're really buying into a lens fit type - the bodies are almost disposable (well, not quite, but you get the idea).

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think most people go with mirrorless over slr these days I believe. No expert but I believe there's a reason for it that revolves around no mirror / mirror movement being an advantage.

I believe larger size sensor is significant but whilst early mirrorless was iirc also called 3/4 now you can get full frame mirrorless cameras. If you can get one of them I read that they're better than the two smaller sensor types found in mirrorless.

Of course I'd listen to someone else or personally look to a good local camera shop. There are some very knowledgeable staff in such shops. When I last looked at getting a camera my local shop practically recommended one cheaper than I was looking but was actually better for me. I think most ppl get a feel for retail staff honesty. £1500 should give you something reasonable I reckon.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest a full frame body will blow the £1,500 budget on its own if buying new, and stretch it it even second hand. Theoretically better, but for most photographers (including semi-professionals) there'll be no discernible improvement over an APS-C (smaller but still 24Mp) sensor. The last thing you want to do is be persuaded by marketing to go down a technology route that will give you nothing back. For example, compare the full frame Canon R6 with the APS-C R10 (forgive me, all my gear is Canon, but other makes are just as good).

Start by defining what you want to photograph - if it's wildlife you'll need a longish lens - start there and see what you can afford. But some long lenses cost £20,000 and more!!

For less than £1,500 you can get a Canon R10 with a 80-150mm lens that will give you a good start. If you can afford more, go for a better lens not a better body.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
£1500 goes nowhere with new mirrorless and matching lenses. I’d buy used good SLR lenses and an APS body. Nikon D7200 and the AF-P lenses are great value. I still use a D3400 myself.
Of course there is Canon and other quality manufacturers , I just have no experience of them.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I understand what you are saying, but an entry level mirrorless like the R10 with lens at around £1,300 has far better focussing and processing technology than my DSLRs and they're not that old. I wouldn't buy second hand DSLRs at the moment - I'd buy into a mirrorless system and plan to upgrade (if needed) over the years.

I think @alphaburner would get better performance (focussing speed and number of points, noise reduction, frame rate etc.) without tying himself into an outdated system.

I bought the missus an early entry range mirrorless several years ago; it's a delightful little camera that takes as good a photo as my DSLRs - and the new ones are even better.

But, it's a good job we are all different or there wouldn't be as much choice as we have :)

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I’ll have a look thanks.

TBH I’m not quite sure what I want to photograph. I just want to come up with a reason to get out and about. My lungs are shagged from Covid and I’m up the walls at work and I’m getting fatter sat at a desk. My heart isn’t in deer hunting anymore although I expect the Irish government will do something to extend the cull this year due to over population of Sika and Fallow

Last edited:

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I am going to try archery again. I did field archery for over 10 years and absolutely loved it. But I don’t know if my rotator cuff will hold up. Had some issues before and it’s a pita to recover from.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I would recommend getting a mirrorless camera not an old fashioned flappy mirror contraption you do not need the weight.
I have been using mirrorless cameras for about 10 years. I recommend a smaller camera too based on your health issues as if it is too heavy you wont carry it.
You do not need to buy new or the latest kit either but if buying second-hand a decent retailer offering a guarantee.
I use m4/3 cameras and some people may say they are not good enough as you need a canon or nikon but I would say my photographs are good enough.

A decent beginners kit like this is a good start point

If you need weather sealing as good as any try this

A cheap entry
plus this

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Different take on things, but digital cameras have come a long way with compact cameras now having many of the features previously reserved for high end stuff.

Bought the slightly older TG6 version of this a while ago.

As I am out and about in all the rubbish of the day with the dog.

Impressed with the results.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
All the major brands (Nikon, Canon,Olympus, Fuji & Sony) offer great cameras.

I would not recommend more than 25mega pixels as over that one can get pixel blur and very large files for procesing.
I would also suggets looking at cameras that offer built in stabilisation in the camera body rather than the lens as that should make the lenses cheaper (& more reliable) & offer legacy / third partylens use which can give excellent result (manual focusing though).
As mentioned previously I would strongly recommend looking at a preowned camera (from a reatailer who offers a gurantee).
Hope this helps

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I would recommend getting a mirrorless camera not an old fashioned flappy mirror contraption you do not need the weight.
I have been using mirrorless cameras for about 10 years. I recommend a smaller camera too based on your health issues as if it is too heavy you wont carry it.
You do not need to buy new or the latest kit either but if buying second-hand a decent retailer offering a guarantee.
I use m4/3 cameras and some people may say they are not good enough as you need a canon or nikon but I would say my photographs are good enough.

A decent beginners kit like this is a good start point

If you need weather sealing as good as any try this

A cheap entry
plus this

I'm a little confused; I thought the M3 and M4 were Canon?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Different take on things, but digital cameras have come a long way with compact cameras now having many of the features previously reserved for high end stuff.

Bought the slightly older TG6 version of this a while ago.

As I am out and about in all the rubbish of the day with the dog.

Impressed with the results.

Yep, I have a TG5 - waterproof and shockproof. I bought it to take on canoe trips etc. but I use it most of the time now unless I'm actually going out to specifically 'do photography'.

Reactions: Tantalus

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not at all if know about cameras and what digital formats are out there.

I do, but I've not used Olympus (other than my TG5) for decades (I still have my analogue OM-1 and its 55mm 1.2 lens) and had only seen the abbreviation MFT up till now (I don't tend to follow technology unless I'm actively considering buying). I decided against MFT when I bought the mirrorless for my wife because of the focussing more than sensor size - but I dare say that has changed now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE