Is it the Moon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I do think we need a new smiley....
feedtroll.gif

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Contrary to what you might think Gary, I believe that this site remains a good resource with many talented people on here, and I would be sorry to see it go if it ever did. As regards 'certain people that we always expect that from', some of them are among the most knowedgeable and talented outdoorsmen I have met, they are also my friends and they have also made many a valid contribution to collective knowledge on this site or to help people out from here in the past. If you weight that up in terms of good/bad then they have probably made far more of a contribution than many of the other, less contentious members on here.

I see your point about 'stirring things up' if people come on here to openly be abusive, post obscene material or slate anothers character or workmanship without justification. However, surely lively debate on a subject is what a forum is all about, not a sterile environment in which we all pretend to agree with one another and be friends - I dont mean that nastily but I cannot claim to be friends with people I have never met. Fair enough, a lot of stuff does go off topic and does not end up having anything to do with bushcraft - such as the one about David Icke - I am am guilty of making flippant remarks although that is my way and I never mean to offend anyone. Equally I could also give you a million examples of completely benile threads that are about supposedly 'legitimate' topics of discussion on here which in fact have as little practical use or value to anyone seeking to expand their knowledge of the subject. Occasionally, I cant resist taking someone up on something I feel to be particularly stupid - but most of the time I follow your advice of 'if you dont like it, stay away'.

But while you point out that 'there are those who enjoy pushing the boundaries' - I have also observed that there is an element of this site that equally likes to band together and cant wait to jump on anyone who has a differing opinion or whose minor infringement of the rules makes them an 'easy target'. Some also seem very quick to offend or take issue over very minor things - I wonder if either party would so if they had to take issue with somebody face to face, after all it is very easy and safe to type words into a keyboard. The way I see it Gary, is that people have differing opinions and do not always agree on certain subjects, it is part of life and particularly compounded in anything to do with the outdoors, which will always attract people with strong opinions. You and I have had our differences in the past, but that does not mean that I want to burn your house down, rape your women and slaughter your livestock. Things like your health and having your family around you are important and worth taking issue over, not some perceived slight or goad on an internet forum made in haste.

Finally, I also do appreciate the role many of the moderators have in running the site - those that post obscene material or are abusive or offensive deserve to be reprimanded. However, I do not agree with many of the decisions a number of the moderators make to close threads or ban people - but that is my prerogative and without making an issue of it I am entitled to say that.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Contrary to what you might think Gary, I believe that this site remains a good resource with many talented people on here, and I would be sorry to see it go if it ever did. As regards 'certain people that we always expect that from', some of them are among the most knowedgeable and talented outdoorsmen I have met, they are also my friends and they have also made many a valid contribution to collective knowledge on this site or to help people out from here in the past. If you weight that up in terms of good/bad then they have probably made far more of a contribution than many of the other, less contentious members on here.

I see your point about 'stirring things up' if people come on here to openly be abusive, post obscene material or slate anothers character or workmanship without justification. However, surely lively debate on a subject is what a forum is all about, not a sterile environment in which we all pretend to agree with one another and be friends - I dont mean that nastily but I cannot claim to be friends with people I have never met. Fair enough, a lot of stuff does go off topic and does not end up having anything to do with bushcraft - such as the one about David Icke - I am am guilty of making flippant remarks although that is my way and I never mean to offend anyone. Equally I could also give you a million examples of completely benile threads that are about supposedly 'legitimate' topics of discussion on here which in fact have as little practical use or value to anyone seeking to expand their knowledge of the subject. Occasionally, I cant resist taking someone up on something I feel to be particularly stupid - but most of the time I follow your advice of 'if you dont like it, stay away'.

But while you point out that 'there are those who enjoy pushing the boundaries' - I have also observed that there is an element of this site that equally likes to band together and cant wait to jump on anyone who has a differing opinion or whose minor infringement of the rules makes them an 'easy target'. Some also seem very quick to offend or take issue over very minor things - I wonder if either party would so if they had to take issue with somebody face to face, after all it is very easy and safe to type words into a keyboard. The way I see it Gary, is that people have differing opinions and do not always agree on certain subjects, it is part of life and particularly compounded in anything to do with the outdoors, which will always attract people with strong opinions. You and I have had our differences in the past, but that does not mean that I want to burn your house down, rape your women and slaughter your livestock. Things like your health and having your family around you are important and worth taking issue over, not some perceived slight or goad on an internet forum made in haste.

Finally, I also do appreciate the role many of the moderators have in running the site - those that post obscene material or are abusive or offensive deserve to be reprimanded. However, I do not agree with many of the decisions a number of the moderators make to close threads or ban people - but that is my prerogative and without making an issue of it I am entitled to say that.

Very well put Aaron.

Bernie

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I always find it rather amusing when people try and tell me what I am thinking.

I also find it interesting that you should think my comments were aimed at you or your cadre.

I have no problem with differing opinions, but I do resent the concerted attacks I have witnessed here recently.

Oh, and there are certain people who like to band together aren't there? Quite a pack of them actually.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Aaron, you speak some of what im thinking :)

Same here, but i couldn't find the right words.

I have to add though that i do find some of the comments made by a few of the more experienced members on here towards newbies when they ask what is seemingly a simple question to the old hands but a serious one for the newbie to be erm how can i put it, "a little offish" for want of a better term, instead of placing a reply that states something along the lines of "use the search function" would it not be better for the experienced among us use our experience to answer the newbies question, or post a link up to the thread that answer the question, as some members already do i hasten to add, certainly some of the replies to newbies questions ive seen, would put me off coming back here, if i had been the one asking the question

As in any walk of life, there will always be a few who see it as their job to be deliberately offensive, obstructive, rude and downright disagreeable, instead of rising to their bait, just ignore them, they will soon get bored and go away.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>I have to add though that i do find some of the comments made by a few of the more experienced members on here towards newbies when they ask what is seemingly a simple question to the old hands but a serious one for the newbie to be erm how can i put it, "a little offish" for want of a better term, instead of placing a reply that states something along the lines of "use the search function" would it not be better for the experienced among us use our experience to answer the newbies question, or post a link up to the thread that answer the question, as some members already do i hasten to add, certainly some of the replies to newbies questions ive seen, would put me off coming back here, if i had been the one asking the question.<Snip

I agree with you whole heartedly there. I have seen that tendency creeping in and it's not good.

It doesn't take much to be polite and new members are bound to ask the same questions as we all asked when we joined.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As in any walk of life, there will always be a few who see it as their job to be deliberately offensive, obstructive, rude and downright disagreeable, instead of rising to their bait, just ignore them, they will soon get bored and go away.
Sadly they never do, if you remain silent they think you agree with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE