Is it the Moon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't know what it is about this place lately.

Seems like some people just want to stir things up for no good reason.

Of course there are certain people that we always expect that from, everybody knows who they are and where their loyalties lie, but lately there has been a fresh crop of provocative postings from unexpected sources that just make no sense.

This forum has it's ups and downs, sometimes there are a lot of good threads and sometimes it can seem a bit slow, but I presume we all like it here otherwise why do we log in?

I've posted on many different forums on the net and this place has one of the most relaxed moderating teams I've seen anywhere.

There are very few rules and ninety nine percent of the members stick pretty close to them.

Then there are the others, the ones who insist on pushing at the boundaries. That's not always a bad thing but doing it all the time is rather boring.

They seem to believe that just because they don't like the way some things are done, they have every right to shout, swear and bully other people that are happy to stick to the rules.

Now I'm no angel, anyone who's met me would confirm that I don't always play by the rules either, but the point about any community is that to work it has to follow a path that is acceptable to the majority.

If you really want to liven things up, why not put all that effort into starting an interesting thread, like Stuart F's limited kit thread, instead of just trying to rattle the mods and annoy everybody else?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well said Gary.

You've expressed very well what I've been feeling about some of the posts lately. I enjoy this forum and have made some good friends through it and it does sadden/annoy me to see the bickering at times but I try not to let them stop my enjoyment of the forum.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think it can sometimes be difficult to adjust if you have spent lots of time in debating forums rather than community forums. I used to spend lots of time in forums debating politics and religion and so coming to a place like this, i have had to relearn to hold my tongue and remember Im not here for a debate. I think sometimes a debate can be a good thing, but it has to stay outside the realms of Ad Homeniem attacks. however, the forum decides to close threads, its usually for the best, I tend to just accept it.

Anyway, it MUST be the moon, I frequent the Richard Dawkins site, where pretty much anything goes, swearing, fighting, sex talk...Richard was recently pressured by his lawyers to keep the site family friendly to keep it within charity guidlines. All of a sudden the Off Topic forum disappeared, a language filter came into being, and new guidelines "no inapropriate talk, sex violence or other!"

40 pages of complaints appeared and poor Professor Dawkins, yes the man who appears so upper class and crisp on tv, descending into name calling, swearing, telling people to `F` off and alike. Now he is spending time individually apologising to people. lol! he is usually very quick to delete his posts before the media get a hold. no doubt he'll want to forget this one quite quick.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Aye Gary, it seems to come in cycles.

Maybe some folk get bored with their usual preferred forums and try to disrupt a good one for the hell of it. Who knows?

It usually settles down pretty quickly. The mods are quite capable of sorting things out.

As long as the regulars keep out of it there should be little or no "collateral damage".;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Here here Gary

I just choose to stay out of it if things look like they`re going down that route. I get plenty of grief from everywhere else without getting wound up with my Bushcraft thing. Leave `em to it I say.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Some of the threads lately have baffled me so much that I don't even know if they expect a reply,and others come from so far outside the remit of the forum that I think they've been posted on the wrong forum.
It does annoy me when the title seems interesting and then the thread is rubbish and nothing to do with the forum.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I watched the film you posted and the one Firecrest added to the thread, both very interesting.

What was remarkable was what appeared to be a deliberated attempt by some people to turn it into an argument.

There's been rather a lot of that lately. :(

No there hasn`t

Wayland

Hárbarðr
OH YES THERE HAS.....
itchy_n_scratchy.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE