Made Bannock on the Trangia Mini

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Thought I would try cooking a small Bannock on the Trangia mini, worked a treat!

3 Dessertspoons of Self Raising Flour
1 Dessertspoon of Milk Powder
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
A pinch of Baking Soda
Water to form into a dough

Cooked it on the non stick lid with the bowl upturned to make an "oven"

I'm really warming (see what I did there!!) to the Trangia…….

Paul

IMG_1660.jpg

Ali Graham

May 16, 2011
Doncaster
I love making bannock. Looks great.
Slightly off subject but how do you find the trangia mini?
I am currently looking for a simple cooking setup and have looked at the mini but wondered if it was any good?

Thanks

Ali

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Baking bread on a fire is great, there's something that so rewarding about it, warmth, (usually tasty, but not always!) fresh... lovely stuff.....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks good. Such a wonderful smell to waft around a camp. A lot of folks like adding something sweet, raisins, berries or the likes. For me savoury is the way to go. Cheese, wild garlic, mushrooms or herbs. Just experiment and have some fun.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Answering a couple of questions, I very much like the Trangia mini, so much so I bought another, actually I first bought just a burner, then decided the stand etc that comes with the Mini Cookset was desirable, so bought a Mini cook set, then bought a 1litre kettle and having a spare burner teamed that with a Trangia Triangle (the burner in a Ziplock bag fits inside the kettle, along with another Ziplock bag with fruit tea bags) with the triangle in the net bag with the kettle …….they have their limitations but for a brew up, or to add hot water to a dehydrated meal, they are very good indeed, although a windbreak is essential…...

The bannock took about 2 minutes on each side, cook a minute turn it over, repeat, then simmer ring on and the bowl upside down on top of the fry pan lid, to sort of create an oven for about 30 secs each side……difficult to get the hot bowl off though! Used about 1/2 a burner worth of fuel……...

Theres a real art to cooking with the Trangia's and there are some good tutorials on the tube…..I'm still learning and experimenting……a full English, I don't think, will be possible!

Paul

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I haven't used a Trangia in ages but on the full English front it's possible though I found with the standard pans the fried eggs want to weld themselves to it. Try either boiling or poaching them for easier cleaning. Now you have two sets it's easier to juggle things and keep the various bits warm.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE