Just retired my buffalo shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well the time has come for an old friend of 23yrs to be discarded. I walked the dog on Tuesday morning & was cold in my special 6, so I sadly knew it was time for it to make way for its replacement.
So, of I went to Cotswolds at Nottingham, sadly they only had black ones in & I had to go up a size !, while there some young guy offered to buy my old one(I was wearing it) for its "cool badge" !, needless to say I've kept it, & now it can live out its days in my van as a back up.

Rob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They upcycle very well :) Hats, mitts, boot liners/sleeping bag booties, wrist warmers, knee warmers/pads, balaclavas, snoods, neckguards, or even if you have a couple of old fleeces to go with it, into blankets.

I hate wasting something good :eek:

Bet you got a shock when you realised what your new one was going to cost you though ?

M

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Lol, yes & no, I've been looking for a couple of years, so I knew what the prices were, & found that with the bcuk discount, it cost me about a fiver more than getting one on line, the expensive bit was I took my wife with me....
The big problem we have at the moment, is that we sold & moved out of our house in October, only expecting to be 6 weeks at most before the paperwork was sorted on our new house, so 99% of everything we own is in storage, & to get a cheap deal I agreed to no access to it, so 3 month later we are still waitng, & my wool jumpers & swannies etc are packed away while I'm freezing !

Rob

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sad to say goodbye to an old friend.

I got mine in 1986/7 from a wee shop in Inverness and it saw me through years of working outdoors and climbing in awful conditions. Loved it, never let me down. I found that a few years ago it seemed to have shrunk!
being-confused-smiley-emoticon.gif
Nothing to do with a slightly expanding waistband of the time. Though it had a few spark marks from the odd campfire it is as far as I know still living out a useful life keeping a ranger friend cosy as she trails around the woods. Great bits of kit, though I only wore the detachable hood the once; too hot and hoods make me paranoid anyway. Still have the double layer sleeping bag up in the loft somewhere. Bulky but warm even when wet.
Just looked at the prices and not as bad as I was expecting, especially for something that has lasted nigh on 30 years.
Good luck on getting a new one.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Got mine ''MOUNTAIN SHIRT'' in olive green about 20 yrs ago still going strong i reproof it about every 6/8 months had it on today infact, only that showing signs of wear is the velcro on the wrists. I know what you mean about the badge the old one's much better than the new.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The new badge is awful, I much prefer the old "golden buffalo". Well I had the old boy on today while working in a clients garden, & worn under a canvas smock, it wasn't bad, though I have bust a side zip, looks like the new black one will become my posh dancing smock !

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Or a coat for his dog?;)

What ?!! I've had him since December 2006(he was 20months old then)& he has lived outside in a kennel all that time. However, as we are currently between homes, he's in the kitchen & loving every minute of it, so living indoors, and making him a coat what ever next ?

Rob

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I got my buffalo shirt in late 90s still doing ok other than a zip which I need to replace and the scorch hole in the arm. Not worn it for years as the zip is busted but I'm going to replace it as Id say there is life left in it yet

I did contact buffalo to get Zip repaired thy claimed as it was so old they could do it.

Orric

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My sincere sympathies to you all who have lost good old friends, aka coats.

A 40 yr old jacket died this week of a worn out zipper. I think it had seen me drop 300+ grouse.
A 50 yr old ranch/barn leather coat is moldering in closet dust.
I can't bear the thought of tossing either and no cosmic ideas to repurpose the leather.

Sierra Trading.com buys/resells end lots of all kinds of clothing but the stock goes so fast,
you have to watch every day. eg a $350 Kakadu delivered to my door for $80.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
Sad to say goodbye to an old friend.

I got mine in 1986/7 from a wee shop in Inverness and it saw me through years of working outdoors and climbing in awful conditions. Loved it, never let me down. I found that a few years ago it seemed to have shrunk!
being-confused-smiley-emoticon.gif
Nothing to do with a slightly expanding waistband of the time. Though it had a few spark marks from the odd campfire it is as far as I know still living out a useful life keeping a ranger friend cosy as she trails around the woods. Great bits of kit, though I only wore the detachable hood the once; too hot and hoods make me paranoid anyway. Still have the double layer sleeping bag up in the loft somewhere. Bulky but warm even when wet.
Just looked at the prices and not as bad as I was expecting, especially for something that has lasted nigh on 30 years.
Good luck on getting a new one.

That's why I keep working harder and harder to stay in shape, I can't afford to buy larger sized versions of all of the bushcraft clothes that I have...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's why I keep working harder and harder to stay in shape, I can't afford to buy larger sized versions of all of the bushcraft clothes that I have...
I'd get back into it now, I piled on weight when I got ill and I've love it now, but my Buffalo is leading a life out in the wilds now with someone else so I'm happy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE