Beard grooming question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Found this, thought it might amuse :D

c71a8a86b5e2ebd641e1ee7e543867c3.jpg

Do I need to add an obvious, common sense, disclaimer or are we sensible? :eek: :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Beard oil? I thought only men grew beards?

Wash with the same shampoo as hair, when it tickles the nose in bed have the wife sculpt it with clippers. That's it.

Shampoo? I thought only men grew beards. Wash with regular bar soap; just like your hair.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Agreed Dave. We. Are being discrimnated against. Its hirsutism.

Barbarism would be the discrimination against bearded, uncivilised folks (hence our modern use of the word in the context of being uncivilised). You can blame the Romans, who by and large went clean shaven. Well, the men at least :)

Barba is Latin for beard and is still used in the Romance languages.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Barbarism would be the discrimination against bearded, uncivilised folks (hence our modern use of the word in the context of being uncivilised). You can blame the Romans, who by and large went clean shaven.

They wore frocks too. Nuff sed

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Barbarism would be the discrimination against bearded, uncivilised folks (hence our modern use of the word in the context of being uncivilised). You can blame the Romans, who by and large went clean shaven. Well, the men at least :)

Nice but wrong. Barbarism is from the Greek "barbaros" meaning "foreign".

Z

Z

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I haven't shaved for many years. When I was a teacher, most Christmases some smart-a*s* , thinking they were original, would give me a bottle of aftershave. I often used to wonder whether they were trying to be funny or were just stupid or unobservent.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
My other half has some almond oil she uses for various cosmetics creations and I've tried rubbing that in. Seems to work quite well. I think a lot of the beard oils are similar carrier oils with some smelly oils in as well.
She gave me some moustache wax for Christmas and that's quit good for keeping the mo out of my mouth. Haven't shaved for over a year and Haven't timmed the moustache for over six months so it's reasonably full now.

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Actually Hadrian had a beard and made them fashionable for a while.

In general I just let mine grow if I'm doing mostly Viking or Pyrate work but I do trim it a bit if I'm being Roman for a while.

It gets washed when I do or occasionally in the rain. No other treatment required.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My other half has some almond oil she uses for various cosmetics creations and I've tried rubbing that in. Seems to work quite well. I think a lot of the beard oils are similar carrier oils with some smelly oils in as well.
She gave me some moustache wax for Christmas and that's quit good for keeping the mo out of my mouth. Haven't shaved for over a year and Haven't timmed the moustache for over six months so it's reasonably full now.

Golden syrup give "hold" to a 'tache and tastes better than wax if it does get in your mouth.
Toast is my applicator of choice.
Having worn my beard for a continuous 40+ years I have never found the need for oils or other grooming - it gets washed when face or hair get washed and food combed out when I remember...
As I dribble a bit due to an old injury I often get reminded to "de-food" the facial hair....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The photo reminds me of reading Beau Geste, as a kid of about 8. :) Proper boys own adventure tale.

720506_140510120646_stampnumber310.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE