Beard grooming question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Having sported a facial fungus for the last 28 years it has never occured to me to do anything to it, other than trim it and rinse the lumpiest bits of food out of it. The other day a friend introduced me to the concept of beard oils. Now I know there are a couple of beard wearers on this forum so it seemed a good place to gather some info: so do you use any beard treatments? What do they do for you?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just shaved mine off but I used the same shampoo for my head. Made it feel nicer. I also used to trim it once a month just before my monthly haircut. At certain lengths the beard was scratchy so the shampoo helped then. Never thought of beard oil. I do have a nivea for men moisturiser which is ok/good for using with a beard. Jeez! This all makes me sound heterosexual or something. Not me at all, my grooming style is actually closer to what used to be called grunge

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beard oil? I thought only men grew beards?

Wash with the same shampoo as hair, when it tickles the nose in bed have the wife sculpt it with clippers. That's it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Beard oil? I thought only men grew beards?

Wash with the same shampoo as hair, when it tickles the nose in bed have the wife sculpt it with clippers. That's it.

;)

15762188-mmmain.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The idea of putting oil on my beard makes me cringe.

I once had to act very quickly to prevent injury to a fellow dinner guest. He was Indian, and always oiled his long hair.

At this particular dinner our hostess had decided to light the place with candles. While emphasizing some point with his hands the Indian chap leaned back on his chair, and his hair caught light from a candle on the window-ledge just behind him.

It went up astonishingly quickly. My quick action saved him from serious burns, and also made me thankful that I sport a crew cut.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Just shaved mine off as I couldn't stand the itch. It was ok for ages then one night while trying to sleep I had to get rid cos of the tingle/scratch/itch.

Nothing worked to soften the bristles.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive just noticed all the emoticons are clean shaven. Not exactly representative of a site overpopulated with middle aged, bearded pot bellied men.

Fixed it.

beard_250px.png

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Tried to grow a beard a few time when I was younger, but it annoyed me because it grew red and I didn't have red hair.
I'm trying to grow one again, but it's annoying me because it's white and I don't have any hair.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just give it a wash with the shampoo and conditioner when I do the rest of my hair, keeps it all shiny and soft. I tended not to use soap on my face as most brands left my skin feeling horrible. Though I am using pine tar soap on my face these days and not only does my skin feel much nicer but the dryness is no longer there and my beard is all lovely and shiny.
Grooming our facial hair is now seen as "affected" and unmanly but through history it was viewed as quite manly with the likes of the Mesopotamians dying it and sprinkling gold dust in it. The Greeks thought it unmanly to shave and it was unlawful for a man to cut another's beard apart from as a punishment for cowardice in battle. Sometimes after death, relatives would hang trimmings from the deceased chaps beard on the door of the house as a sign of respect. I used to plait mine (when it was longer) while working to keep it out of the way and being a big lumberjack with an axe, billhook and chainsaw I found that no-one said it was a feminine thing to do (even though Monty Python sung songs to the contrary). So using oils and unctions in your beard can really be seen as a sign of virility and a way of appealing to the fairer sex as bringing her a gift of food carried in the beard isn't really that nice.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I use 'Jojoba-oil' (also used to relief the itch after a tattoo-session) on some occasions, no funny smell, no oily or sticky feeling when applied. Keeps the beard nice and soft for a couple of days.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE