A Few Old Relics on The Mountain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
We have very few actual relics here in the hills like you guys have over there in Europe, but there is a little history here as the structure here beside the bridge covers the head of an iron water spring, for which a trail came hence from the Signal Mountain Inn back in 1913. They kept a pitcher of the iron water on the main counter for guest who visited the inn.
G_W_1-vi.jpg

You can see the iron content in the water below the bridge
G_W_2-vi.jpg

My two companions for the hike were a lightweight brass pocket compass, and my TK2
G_W_3-vi.jpg

No idea which mushroom this is, there were several around.
G_W_5-vi.jpg

G_W_4-vi.jpg

I'm pretty sure these are orange chanterelles
G_W_6-vi.jpg

G_W_7-vi.jpg

G_W_8-vi.jpg

Some leaves from this plant were actually what I was looking for to enhance a medicinal concoction I've been using lately
G_W_9-vi.jpg

Pretty well off the trails
G_W_10-vi.jpg

The other two old relics out there were this chimney from the groundskeepers cabin, from the early 1900s as well, and me of course...though I only go back to 1965. I'm certain I'd never be able to convince anyone I had combed both my hair and my beard just an hour before when I got out of my car...definitely time to trim the beard a bit.
G_W_11-vi.jpg

G_W_12-vi.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Pleasure to make your acquaintance

Your pictures are lovely, the colours really jump out. You’ve got me wanting a Fallkniven again. I had an F1 for a bit, but it was understated to the point of being a bit boring. Big fan of convex though, BRKT are a favourite maker of mine.

The iron rich water that’s left out, is that to drink? There’s a well in Glastonbury credited as a holy, healing well where the water is iron rich. I wondered if your iron water is credited with health properties?

Least you got hair fella, I was born 65 and lost most of mine years ago! :)

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That cabin footprint looks to be a fair size, somehow I'm surprised it's got a concrete floor but I like the way it's raised slightly from the outer edge where the frames sit.
Something that the designers of some of the lodges at Center Parcs really should know, but obviously dont.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance

Your pictures are lovely, the colours really jump out. You’ve got me wanting a Fallkniven again. I had an F1 for a bit, but it was understated to the point of being a bit boring. Big fan of convex though, BRKT are a favourite maker of mine.

The iron rich water that’s left out, is that to drink? There’s a well in Glastonbury credited as a holy, healing well where the water is iron rich. I wondered if your iron water is credited with health properties?

Least you got hair fella, I was born 65 and lost most of mine years ago! :)
Hello nice to meet you.

Thank you. I've had an A1 and S1 but never had an F1. I felt the same way about the A1 and S1 though. I like the TK2, I like metal hilts on my field knives to protect the handle in hard use.

Yes, it was thoght of as a healing well too. I still drink the water ocassionally to this day.

Yes, thankfully I still have my hair, no0one wants to see all the scars on my head!:D

That cabin footprint looks to be a fair size, somehow I'm surprised it's got a concrete floor but I like the way it's raised slightly from the outer edge where the frames sit.
Something that the designers of some of the lodges at Center Parcs really should know, but obviously dont.
Yes, it was a good sized cabin, and seemed to have been well built for it's time. but it was only raised like that on the side facing the hill, presumably to reinforce it for water or whatever coming down the hill. The is a drainage ditch on that side also. What was left of the original structure burned doown decades ago

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for sharing your pictures and walk. The area reminds me of the Sooke Hills outside Victoria, BC. The Galloping Goose Trail is a wonderful cycling/hiking trail. I believe it dates back to the late 1800s. In the museum in Victoria there was a story of a revolver and a money chest being found buried near a railway hut. That story links to the minor gold rush in the area. If you visit Victoria, it’s worth spending a day hiking part of the trail.
You should also visit Goldstream Park on the way north on the Malahat as they (used to - 1990-early 2000s) have an excellent series of displays of native peoples’ cedar-based technology. IMHO it’s a better introduction than either Victoria or Vancouver have in their museums, not the least because there were always knowledgeable Parks staff there to answer questions and they had artefacts you could handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE