Zebra billy problem..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi I was wondering if anyone else had this issue..
I bought a 12cm billy and it has the small plate thing that sits on top, then the lid sits on top of that. I found it quite heavy and decided i didn't want to carry the plate part, but now the lid rattles and will just fall off. Is this just a problem everyone has or do u all use the plate? Just wondereing cheers.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hi rain man

I put my wash kit and some eating utensils in the pot, and a dish towel on top. A small corner of the towel goes on the outside, then I put the whole thing in a tight bag, this configuration keeps it almost silent.

cheers

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I do use the plate part, but I use a webbing strap from a Trangia to pass through the lid and around the billy to secure it. I think the lid stays fast if you still have the white plastic clips on the bale arm - I took mine off.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yup, that is how they are made.
I don't use the silly little dish, it is too heavy for the amount of food that you can get in it, it can't be used for much of anything else, you burn your fingers if you put hot food in it because it is so hard to hold and it makes packing things into the billy more difficult.

I always carry my pot in a bag, it keeps the rest of my gear from getting covered in soot and by having it wound tight to the pot it stops the lid from rattling about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE