Zebra Billy or Canteen cup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Bushnoob

Hello there!

I am just making a quick thread to ask a question about two different metal pots/ cups?

I already have a standard canteen cup. Stainless steel, wire folding handles, etc...

I was looking for something else that might be a bit larger and give me the chance to hang over the fire like a billy can. I recently discovered the Zebra billy cans and I just about bought it. Now the main issue I have with this is that pouring isn't necessarily easy.... With the free hanging handle it isn't the most stable when pouring liquids. I understand that I could just use a pair of pliers but I'd rather have a handle or more simple method to pour it.

Does anyone know of any easier ways to pour stuff from the billy can without the use of pliers of gloves possibly? Even though I already have a cup that I can boil and cook stuff in should I invest in a billy can?

Thanks everyone!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hi fella, I'm on my phone at the moment but so can't search myself, but if you look for a member called Ray Britton and search back through his posts he showed a very simple means of locking the handle on a zebra billy so as to make it easyer to pour. By means of a simple sliding clip on each side.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
You pour to the side so the water runs out of the billy can over the handle. That way the handle stays upright and you don't get burnt fingers.

Edit: You don't need any clips to do this.

Poor over the handles or...buy a tatonka, the handle locks and pooring is as easy as pie....if you have to invest in a billy anyway.... (Once my billy needs replacing it will most likely be with a Tatonka 4 ltr pot.....)

Back to the pouring again... use a stick to aid in pouring. Either the stick lifts the (hot) bottom of the pot or use a green stick with a bit of bark removed (non poisonous wood), cut lengthwise a bit away so you get a bump and you push the rim away while holding the billy...

Sorry for the last description, a pic would be easier but no camera around now and the use of descriptive words might be better too. Last tip courtesy to Dale from http://www.learnbushcraft.co.uk/

Should you invest in a billy.... mmmm... very personal. If you're on a budget, use a Hobo billy first (old soup can or similar) with some wire attached, cheaply made alu foil like lid and see if it fits your cooking style.

I either use mess tins, my trangia (clone) for cooking, my secondhand dutch army mug for simple stuff (warm water, maybe pasta etc.) or a 3 ltr alu billy (13 pound, was a set of three on ebay, I don't have the smaller ones anymore...)

So enough clean possibilities of pouring without gloves or pliers, should you invest... not sure... give the cheap hobo billy a go first...

Grtz Johan

Last edited:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I always take a billy and a Crusader mug.

This allows you to have a constantly boiling billy of water, or cook a meal, and have a drink at the same time.

As for the pouring, as has been said already, pour "sideways" over the handle...simples!

Simon

B

Bushnoob

Thank you very much.

I have a cup that is similar to the crusader cup but it is a bit more different. It is the same except for the shape. I guess I could buy one and tag it along with my cup. I think the great thing is the fact that I can have a constant boil for water and a large amount. If I only used my cup I wouldn't be able to boil as much as consistant without always removing and pouring in newer colder water.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
mine probably isn't the best way, but with my zebra billy, I hold it by the handle and then lift the bottom up with a stick to pour,not the best as it has failed in the past before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE