Your Belt Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Just for a bit of fun. :p Show us yer belt kit!

Heres mine:

belt4.jpg

belt3.jpg

Inside the Maxped M5 is a generic medical and survival kit. Belt is made by Dougster.

Maxped roly poly pouch can be used for foraging etc. It also fits a titanium mug, lid, and nalgene bottle[Tight Squeeze]
Or a food/drink flask.

belt2.jpg

The green sheath is a standard nato one, [modded] to fit the laplander saw, and the leather sheath is one which I made from buffalo hide, for my knife, a PB Bushman TZ.
[I also added one of these plastic sheath liners, into my sheath, cut to size, which stops the blade cutting the welt, is more hygenic, and the handle is still friction grip]

belt1.jpg

Do you use a modular approach? What ingeniuos methods have you devised to carry your stuff? Which pouches, knives, saws, and belts do you use? Got any piccies?

Last edited:
No pics yet as i am working on it as part of my kit pledge
usually its a possibles pouch with assorted gubbins in-first field dressin. Petzl e+lite and skme drked yarrow. Jaed to have a massive fak on belt but realised i hardly use it so moved it into pack.
Belt knife is either mora classic in a home improved sheath in a danglerora wilkinson sword woodlore insheath with dc3 and firesteel sections
laplander used to on the belt in sheath that allows horizontal or vertical carry but again this now lives.in mynpack.
I do have a belt pouch for 58 pat water bottle and crusader cup but.i found it weighs ne down too much
look forward to other folks pics and lists

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Not keen on belt kits as they always feel awkward on me.
I have a spare pouch from a Lowe Alpine rucksack and keep bits in there. It has straps on the back to wear as a small pack. I also have this for around the fire on an evening at meets.
Will post pics later.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Heres mine!
Dec24880_zpsec7a7e46.jpg

Other items slide on as needed...

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I use a fanny pack with pouches carried inside it so that they can be transferred to the belt if I want to, although this seldom happens. Part of the reason for this is that the fanny pack is less conspicous when in transit through urban areas. It also makes it handy to put straight into the rucksack. The fanny pack has the basic kit I know I'm going to need in any scenario ( compass, knife, FAK etc) so nothing important gets forgotten. My water bottle goes on the belt. The whole thing can be carried separately or switched between full marching pack or day sack as necessary.

The fanny pack has and extended belt that can be clipped on so that I can carry in bandolier fashion if I want to. I find it easier to carry this way with a pack. I can then get to things like compass, GPS, monocular quickly without having to remove the pack. Its is also better carried this way when wearing over the layers of foul weather gear.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That looks great John! Very sturdy. I like the double belt buckle.

I prefer a backpack myself. But a belt kit would come into its own, on certain trips. A wilderness canoe trip for example. Where you could capsize and lose everything, except what was on your person. Or if you were anywhere unfamiliar, as soon as the rucksack is off, the belt kit goes on.

There's a good article on Paul Kirtleys site, for those who have not seen it: http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/bushcraft-survival-kit/

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Do you use a modular approach? What ingeniuos methods have you devised to carry your stuff? Which pouches, knives, saws, and belts do you use? Got any piccies?.."

Day to day I always have my pocket camera and a folder or multitool on my belt, over that I wear a bumbag, nothing special although it does have three compartments and a couple of bottle holders which I find handy.

PB180006.JPG

All the zip pulls have been replaced with bits of paracord which allows me to loop them through a mini carabiner when closed. I have also added a couple of loops of shockcord to the base which allows me to carry a rolled up scarf containing my wooly hat and work gloves.

Inside there is to be found a wallet, keys, a small head torch, a small first aid/repairs kit, notepad, pencil, a disposable poncho, bits of cord and string and some toys to keep my daughter amused.

:)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks great John! Very sturdy. I like the double belt buckle.

I prefer a backpack myself. But a belt kit would come into its own, on certain trips. A wilderness canoe trip for example. Where you could capsize and lose everything, except what was on your person. Or if you were anywhere unfamiliar, as soon as the rucksack is off, the belt kit goes on.

There's a good article on Paul Kirtleys site, for those who have not seen it: http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/bushcraft-survival-kit/
The belt is mainly used just for "around camp" activities - more than a saw, axe, FAK, knife, fire lighting kit and water and it goes in a pack or shoulder bag....

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Dave said "Maxped roly poly pouch can be used for foraging etc. It also fits a titanium mug, lid, and nalgene bottle[Tight Squeeze]
Or a food/drink flask. "
I have one of these pouches and do use for foraging but never thought to use for the BOLD items. Just been upstairs and put it back on my belt. Thanks alot
Alan

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I just use a Black US Butt pack and a Rollpin belt. That way I can carry as much or as little as I need with one system. Very comfortable places on the lower back as well

Has the advantage I can hide under a coat, in town or bad weather.

Also I can take it apart and put the Butt pack in a daysac and just wear the belt

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That is a neat contraption, Sandbender. I think I'll adapt my response pack similarly, ta for tthe ideas.

The problem with attaching shock cords to the base of a bag is that they will collapse the bottom compartment, I fixed this by using a cut down cheap as chips ikea chopping board to maintain the shape of the base, see this thread for more details and lots of other ideas for belt kits based around the Response Pack.

For a drinking bottle I reuse mineral water bottles and make them slightly less lose-able by adding a cord loop secured by a jug or bottle knot and a couple of double fisherman knots.

P1060003.JPG

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Some nice set ups here. I've a belt by Dougster and it's fantastic, highly recommended! Just waiting on a leather sheath for my Mora to accompany it.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Here is mine:
Minus the belt, just a plain leather one, upstairs and I can't be bothered hobbling up to get it :crutch:

image_zps4a6d20aa.jpg
[/IMG]

Jim.B possibles pouch full of odds and ends and my firesteel.
Then my Douster sheath with my A.Wright and Sons woodlore clone! Very nice knife in my opinion (maybe I got lucky)
And then my Hudson Bay pouch tin fron Shark Designs with my flint and steel kit in the Hudson Bay in the pouch.

All brilliant bits of leatherwork!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE