You know wat would be kool (wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
Iv seen loadsa posts about wild camping for obvious reasons. You know wat would solve this is if the government recognised a few of the top survival schools and made liscences these schools could give to students who pass a certain course. Or some other way of getting the liscence, similar to lessons for a driving license. The this license would give you permission to wild camp with a fire in any national park/ forestry / government owned land. As youve proved you know how to camp without leaving trace or damage. The at least it could be regulated. Well just a theory lol probably loadsa reasons it wouldnt work in practice.

You know what would be even better?

If you guys n girlies took a leaf out of our book and campaigned for an ACCESS code based on ours in Scotland... :D

You would have all that access to wild camp and canoe on every waterway or lake or loch!

The people who have the wealth in your part of the world who own the land do not necesarily have the political power anymore... empower your citizens and break free from those chains and get the law changed! :D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Johnboy06 said:
Iv seen loadsa posts about wild camping for obvious reasons. You know wat would solve this is if the government recognised a few of the top survival schools and made liscences these schools could give to students who pass a certain course. Or some other way of getting the liscence, similar to lessons for a driving license. The this license would give you permission to wild camp with a fire in any national park/ forestry / government owned land. As youve proved you know how to camp without leaving trace or damage. The at least it could be regulated. Well just a theory lol probably loadsa reasons it wouldnt work in practice.
It's a good idea - I am sure the big concern by most landowners is poor firecraft i.e. setting fire to things other than those intended and leaving litter. If you could give a kind of 'proof of competence' it might go some way towards opening up more opportunities for those not fortunate enough to have regular permission - Well done nice idea :) .

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Dream on.

Why would any government give a hoot about some of us wanting to wild camp?

The Ramblers got together and lobbied for years to get the right to roam and even then it's quite restricted.

We just don't have enough political clout to even raise a thought in Westminster.

Sad but true. We have lived under feudalism for a thousand years. The name has changed but the principle is still the same. It probably won't change for another thousand years I'm afraid..... :(

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
Yes its like any laws i suppose its just having the balls and the know how to get up and say i want change and so do all these other people. I mean if scotland can y cant england, that goes for the smoking ban too lol. I love being half scottish. :cool:

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
It's a good idea - I am sure the big concern by most landowners is poor firecraft i.e. setting fire to things other than those intended and leaving litter. If you could give a kind of 'proof of competence' it might go some way towards opening up more opportunities for those not fortunate enough to have regular permission - Well done nice idea .

Yes bits of paper with license written on them and saying i can do this means alot to some fools sorry i meant some people :rolleyes:

Johnboy06 said:
Yes its like any laws i suppose its just having the balls and the know how to get up and say i want change and so do all these other people. I mean if scotland can y cant england, that goes for the smoking ban too lol. I love being half scottish. :cool:

Essentially what someone needs to do to effect change is bring all the organisations together-ramblers, canoeists, wildlife folk the works and lobby your mp's and create an arena to discuss change. It may already be happening but the key is to work togther. It can be done, people in Scotland did not think it could happen but it did. Ordinary people should have a RIGHT to walk and use their land but it is a right with RESPONSIBILITIES...

You can download the access code here
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp?nPageID=26&nSubContentID=0

Ask your mp's why it can't happen in England and Wales...

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Wayland said:
I think it has more to do with the "Git orf my Laand.... :cussing: " mentality than anything else.

I think the only chance would be a harmonization of the Scottish access laws but there are probably too many vested interests in England to ever let that happen.

I'm with you there Gary, Git 'orf my land indeed! There's a farmer up in the Ridgeway that charges about at night on a quad bike throwing wild campers off the trail - these are the safe, discreet, no trace campers and he does more damage with his quad. Still, the law is the law... :rolleyes:

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
Well i think that if there was a lobby for change then half the work has already been done in a way by scotland. I mean at least you can say look its worked there nothings gone wrong people are happy , the world is still turning and scotland isnt a big fire damaged area its OK. So its not like youre starting from scratch and coming up with a radical idea. But getting every wildlife/country life group together all wanting the same thing would probably win the battle. Like i said at the start nice theory. But itd need alot of working out and some weight behind it not just my daydreaming :eek:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I certainly sympathise...

However, I'm not entirely sure that the Scottish experience is directly transferable to south of the border. I've noticed, both in a few threads on here and in some legal challenges brought by sassenachs who've moved north, that there seems to be a fundamental difference in attitudes to land ownership between England and Scotland (I can't speak for Wales or NI).

In very general terms, I think the general feeling in Scotland is that the rights of land-owners are not absolute, whereas the English view seems to be that they more-or-less are. Plus we have a long-standing culture of responsible use, and of co-operation between land owners and recreational users. Perhaps it's just that we're a slightly less urban society, so many kids get the country code drummed into them before reaching primary school.

I may, of course, be completely wrong about any or all of that. :)

Jan 22, 2006
uk
great idea, not sure how easy to enforce it would be, but if the training is right then people wouldnt be thinking so much about losing their liscence as feeling ashamed about leaving the land in a state.
dunno if its possible to have one of those petitions on the gov website..?

the whole thing would hinge upon the people that held a liscence not letting everyone else down.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
I don't know how expensive land is over there, but if you could get enough bushcrafters together and buy a bit of land to be used by the group, that would probably be faster than getting the government involved. Or lease it like the hunting clubs do over here. Just a thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE