Wild camping in Scotland and fires.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
On reflection, "Wild camping and fires in Scotland" would probably have been a better title - I'm not going camping in a fire! Haha.

How do folks?

I've done a quick search for info on this so have a bit of info - but being from south of the border were you get shot on sight* if making camp on private land without permission - the Scottish way of doing things isn't entirely clear to me (except to know it's entirely more sensible).
* an ever so slight exaggeration.

I'm half planning a trip up to one of the islands on Loch Lomond - or possibly somewhere else in those fine celtic lands to the north - and wondering where I'd stand with a couple of things.

Provided I'm away from houses (I'd be in woods most likely) I take it I'm perfectly entitled to make camp. Obviously - not damaging the trees, taking all litter out with me - the usual responsible outdoors behaviour.
Am I right on that point?

Assuming I'm in a place I'm entitled to camp, am I allowed to make a camp fire?
If so, is it generally ok to take a small amount of wood from the area, or is that a definite no? I could carry firewood in, but would rather not need to if possible.

Finally, I saw a comment from Toddy suggesting a fire might be allowed if lit "responsibly" - but what counts as responsible in that respect?

It (hopefully) goes without saying that the "leave no trace" principle would be followed as far as possible.

Thanks in advance folks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes to all points.

There are four main exceptions ;
**the curtilege.......basically think of a garden ground, and give folks peace and privacy.
**SSSI's ........don't use any of the natural resources and don't disturb habitats.
**Plantations.........many would really, really prefer no open fires on them, but handled with care, usually okay. Beware roots can smoulder unseen and break out in flame later.
**Peat bogs and moorlands.........open fires can catch and smoulder away unseen and break out further along. These really need care and attention and generally not advisable.

That's it really...........contact SNH and ask for the free handbook, they are very helpful and would rather people asked than caused problems.

I'll find a link.

atb,
Toddy

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp

http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/access/approvedcode050604.pdf

there's also an excellent summing up on the go4walk site
http://www.go4awalk.com/ask/wildcampinginscotland.php

Toddy - thanks for that.
After the comment I saw from you (it was on the thread where someone was woken up to the sound of police questioning his mate about the car or something) I figured you might have some input on this :D

So, assuming it's not curtilege, SSSI, Peat or Plantation... I can make camp, gather firewood, burn it, eat, sleep, brew up and generally pretend I'm Ray Meerz to my heart's content? Sweet.

How about standing wood whether dead or alive? Obviously I won't be in a hurry to cut down a living tree, but if I got somewhere and everything was healthy, could I cut a small amount if I wanted/needed to?
I have a suspicion that wouldn't be ok, but again, your ways are strange to me. :p

Thanks for the links. I'm ploughing on through the access code now and will get onto SNH before heading up too.
I'd half forgotten about the go4awalk website - that's a very handy site indeed.

Oh - and is there a list of SSSIs somewhere? I'm not clued up on that and wouldn't want to do something stupid without realising it (I prefer to do stupid things in full knowledge y'see ;)).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you`re camping a short distance from the car it`s a good idea to take some firewood with you if possible.

48 hours and then move on is a good rule of thumb, act responsibly and leave no trace and you`ll be okay. I`ve been approached by rangers and if you show them your good intentions they`ll usually leave you be. After a brew of course :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's this *responsible* bit again :D
Ash grows prolifically as does birch, but if you cut it down, it's dead.
Is there a dead one standing ? Can you use bits of it instead ? Is it of a size that something might be making it's home in it ? If not, and it's not going to be a problem, I would use it.

My Granny said, "Things don't grow just for you !", it's kind of a good way to look at resources.

Generally there's enough wood around, whether dead or overcrowded to not be an issue, but some sites, like Loch Lomond's shores nearer the Glasgow end, are well and truly trashed just from sheer volume of numbers :( Folks will learn but it takes some longer than others.

I don't know if there's a definitive list of SSSI's, you might ask SNH, and if they point to one, could you post the details here, please ?

No, I'm not a Ranger, riggers. I'm a housewife :D

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Can't really add too much to this as Toddy has said and given links that pretty much cover it. The only thing you should be aware of is that by cutting down trees you are committing an act of vandalism. All land is owned by someone whether or not it's private or public, in theory you could be arrested etc for it, the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 does not make any allowances for such things. Of course the realities are usually very different from theories. I've cut branches off trees many times since I was a young lad, as have many of us here. Common sense must prevail, a little wood from several different trees / bushes etc is the best way to avoid making the area looking as if it's been visited by a load of beavers.. ;) Treat the area with respect and common sense, take only what you need, not what you want.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Can't really add too much to this as Toddy has said and given links that pretty much cover it. The only thing you should be aware of is that by cutting down trees you are committing an act of vandalism. All land is owned by someone whether or not it's private or public, in theory you could be arrested etc for it, the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 does not make any allowances for such things. Of course the realities are usually very different from theories. I've cut branches off trees many times since I was a young lad, as have many of us here. Common sense must prevail, a little wood from several different trees / bushes etc is the best way to avoid making the area looking as if it's been visited by a load of beavers.. ;) Treat the area with respect and common sense, take only what you need, not what you want.

succinct, concise and above all - to the point ;)
nicely put.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Have a look at the Scottish access code at:
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/upload/Full Access Code.pdf

Fires are illegal on or near a plantation, enclosed or cultivated land or near a public road, or anywhere if your fire gives 'reasonable cause for alarm or annoyance'.

I prefer to limit fires to gravelly ground by lochs or burns, and elsewhere a firebox is a good idea.

I have never yet had to cut green wood for the fire, anywhere, though I think that in some pressurised bits of Loch Lomond there is little dead wood because of weekend campfires.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I prefer to limit fires to gravelly ground by lochs or burns, and elsewhere a firebox is a good idea.

That's a mighty fine piece of advice. At least that way, you're about 100% sure you won't leave anything smouldering underground, and if the landowner does come along and see you with a wee campfire on the riverbank, they'll likely not be bothered. Also much easier to leave no trace.

Atb
Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
dont cut living trees down anywhere on this planet!!! why not just find stuff on the floor.

Nice sentiment, but if I don't I wouldn't get out my door within a year.....the damned things seed in every crevise in my garden........I routinely pull up hundreds of seedlings a year........I also plant hundreds elsewhere too though.
Sycamore, birch, beech, willow, ash, holly, oak, elder............you're welcome to seedlings anytime, right now there are three ash, four sycamores, an oak, two holly and I've lost count of the silver birches that either get new homes, or become compost.

I help pull out birch that is trying to colonise peat bogs, I help thin out ash that is smothering small oak trees, sycamore is just too vigorous for most of the places it grows around here and willow is running rampant on three sites I know of. They all need to be removed or pruned.

I like trees, I love woodlands, but they're only part of the world around me.

The key is 'responsible' use of natural resources.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a mighty fine piece of advice. At least that way, you're about 100% sure you won't leave anything smouldering underground, and if the landowner does come along and see you with a wee campfire on the riverbank, they'll likely not be bothered. Also much easier to leave no trace.

Atb
Pete

My hobo stove gets a fair amount of use for just that very thing :D Keeps things simple, no fuss or bother and it's very economical in fuel.........unless all I'm using is hawthorn :(

cheers,
Toddy

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Hi, just a personal experience from Loch Lomond last year. If it's Loch Lomond you're set on, as far to its North end as possible, even better an island. If it were me returning, I'd stop at Lomond to take a picture then keep going North and leave that one behind.

I arrived late one night last year whilst on my way back home from farther up North and decided to throw the tent up on the shore (about half way up the Loch). At 2am I packed up and left. I hadn't realised how close to Glasgow it was and within easy reach of the boy racers, druggies etc. I didn't fancy waking up to find my tent alight with me in it so i packed up and left.

I don't like to put down an area or put people off visiting i may have just caught a bad day at Loch Lomond!!
On a positive note, i did have a long chat with a bloke who lived 500 yards away, i explained my good intentions, we had a good natter and he left asking me to knock on his door if i couldn't get a fire going for a brew. Good bloke although he could have told me about the hoodies from Glasgow !!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE