wild coastal camping and foraging.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Hi folks, I had this trip not the weekend just gone but the one before when we had the lovely weather. It started out on Friday morning when I went rabbit hunting with the old retro BSA 2.2 air rifle, as usual I came back to the car empty handed!(im a novice lol), and on the way home what did I see? low and behold a dead rabbit on the side of the road. So anyway after a thorough inspection I decided to go home and have a go at gutting and skinning the poor unfortunate critter, so straight onto you tube to find me a few tutorials. Turned out not to be so tough as i expected. At that point I decided that i would pack some kit and go off to the coast for a couple of nights, and the bunny was coming with me. As always I was rushed for time, being sponteneous and never planning, so when I arrived although i had scouted the area before,last year some time, I gave it another scout to make sure I could find a nice secluded spot in the woods and near the beach.
So anyway having found my spot I pitched up my big tarp, i seem to favour this cheapo tarp these days because its much lighter than my other good quality tarp but a whole lot bigger! The only problem is it rips easy at the eyelets so dont think it would stand the heavy weather test. So anyway I thought this would be a great time to test my new bivvy bag also and with the hot weather i assumed that i would be ok without a sleeping bag.....boy was i wrong, i got no sleep on both nights due to being cold!Won't do that again!
Once I pitched my tarp and started to collect firewood it was getting dark already and the mozies started to attack me, at this point i was thinking why dont i go for easy camping like my friends, but whats the fun in that right! So I got the fire going with some cotton wool balls for tinder, yeah i know that's cheating a bit but i never give myself enough time to do it all proper bushcraft style so they came in handy anyways. So once the fire was blazing away i was feeling better about myself, so next on went the rabbit onto the embers wrapped in foil while i procured some nettles for a brew. I also decided to try out my army mozzie net, wasn't going to underestimate the friggin things after getting swarmed by them last year in the woods.

So anyway the pictures tell a better story and il be here all night recapping the whole trip so feel free to have a nosey. To sum up the whole trip, had a great time, learned a few new things and tried some wild foraging including nettles,oyster mushrooms and limpets, had a few negative experiences too which proved to be valuable lessons for next time. Here's the photobucket link;

ps, anyone had any experience with wood ticks, i had a few clinging onto me when i got home, little ********!

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/a...4&page=1&_suid=137461671395306358941381172144

Last edited:

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
Nice trip report and photos. Looks a lovely location and your setup looked good. I usually take a sleeping bag liner or a single bed duvet cover to line the inside of the goretex bivvy bag it just takes that cold damp feeling off the cover, I can usually get a decent kip if the overnight temp is over 10c but on the coastline it can get damp overnight with mist. you can also get some press on tarp clips cheap off ebay which will stop your tarp tearing to bits at the corners. Your luck was in finding the roadkill in good condition, As for the wood ticks do a search on here for ticks and lymes disease, you will get lots of good info.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice one aidy :). Looks like a great trip and some tasty foraged food. Really nice spot you have there.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Not looked at pics yet. Sounds a grand trip.
Some solid advice......go to the doctors. Tell them that you've been bitten. They should see you asap and if not should prescribe you a short course of anti biotic s. Our doc didn't need to see us and took it very seriously. Good luck and thanks for posting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Great pics and some great foraging, the rabbit was a bargain and I agree with earlier posts it looks a fantastic spot.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Great digitrack, thanks for the info il have to look out for those tarp clips, i think they call them magic clips dont they, i recal seeing them on a YT video by MindWiseman maverick outdoors, he uses alot of helpful gadgets. Think il go for a lightweight sleeping bag next time like a tropical or desert army type.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Yeah mate and not too far from your neck of the woods, i can show you the spot sometime if you don't recognise it although there were a few dosshbags nearby leaving all their beer can's and crap lying around. They just spoil it for everyone and give wild campers a bad name.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Yeah mate and not too far from your neck of the woods, i can show you the spot sometime if you don't recognise it although there were a few dosshbags nearby leaving all their beer can's and crap lying around. They just spoil it for everyone and give wild campers a bad name.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Yeah cheers Chisseler, after reading about Lymes disease I think that you're probably right, although only 1% of bites actually pass on the disease, according to stats but stats are never that accurate and subject to recorded cases only. I also read that normally its the tiny ticks that go undetected that are prone to pass on the infection. I guess i could still have some on me and not even know!!

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Cheers Dave, you should defo try it, it's such a ubiquitous plant, full of nutrients and tastes just fine!! just go for the young leaves at the top, apparently they taste better but ive boiled the whole plant before and never tasted the difference lol, I guess that referes more to eating the leaves the young leaves are supposed to taste better in omolettes etc.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Thanks Weekender I was well impressed with my first time rabbit prepping and cooking, wasnt that difficult either, although hunting them with a rifle is somewhat more tricky, havn't bagged one yet so could do with some advice on that score, pidgeons too, it amazes me how dosile urban pidgeons are, you could almost kick one if you wanted to but out in the wild they are gone before you walk /stalk into the same field that they are in!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE