Wild camping in Scotland and fires.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi, just a personal experience from Loch Lomond last year. If it's Loch Lomond you're set on, as far to its North end as possible, even better an island. If it were me returning, I'd stop at Lomond to take a picture then keep going North and leave that one behind.

I arrived late one night last year whilst on my way back home from farther up North and decided to throw the tent up on the shore (about half way up the Loch). At 2am I packed up and left. I hadn't realised how close to Glasgow it was and within easy reach of the boy racers, druggies etc. I didn't fancy waking up to find my tent alight with me in it so i packed up and left.

I don't like to put down an area or put people off visiting i may have just caught a bad day at Loch Lomond!!
On a positive note, i did have a long chat with a bloke who lived 500 yards away, i explained my good intentions, we had a good natter and he left asking me to knock on his door if i couldn't get a fire going for a brew. Good bloke although he could have told me about the hoodies from Glasgow !!!

You could always have a look at Inchconnachan :D Just be ready for the unexpected :lmao:

Some brilliant posts in here - thanks folks!

The trip to Loch Lomond would actully include canoeing and I'd fully intend to make camp on an island rather than the shore. That would probably limit the amount (firewood wise) I could carry in.

Nagual - thanks for the tip about vandalism. I do understand the difference between law and real life, especially when "responsiblity" is a key word in your approach to things, but it's always good to know where you stand legally just in case.
As things stand I'll be looking for driftwood, standing deadwood and probbly carrying in a few logs to get things going too. I wouldn't want to cut green wood unless I had no alternatives.

Doc and Draven - if there's a suitable campsite close to the water's edge I'll be stopping there, I expect that'd meet the gravelly ground thing. I'd quite like to have a view out over the lake from camp, and having the fire right by the lock would be pretty handy for avoiding ground/root damage too.

Lostagin and Shewie - As above, I do plan on heading to an island, whether that'll be Inchconnachan or one of the uninhabited ones I don't know. The main reason for Inchconnachan would be exactly for the unexpected though. It's a shame I know what's there already as that would be a truly wonderful surprise to have.
Thanks for the heads up on what the southern end of the loch can be like. I'll definitely think about avoiding that.
The further I can get from people the better for camping. Half the point of going out is to get away from it all - I don't need neds in their cars and drinking stella around greenwood fires lit with petrol. :p

Shewie and Angus - thanks for those links. I'll have a proper read of Angus' link later, that searchable list should come in very handy too Shewie.

Thanks again folks!
All very much appreciated.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
Nice sentiment, but if I don't I wouldn't get out my door within a year.....the damned things seed in every crevise in my garden........I routinely pull up hundreds of seedlings a year........I also plant hundreds elsewhere too though.
Sycamore, birch, beech, willow, ash, holly, oak, elder............you're welcome to seedlings anytime, right now there are three ash, four sycamores, an oak, two holly and I've lost count of the silver birches that either get new homes, or become compost.

I help pull out birch that is trying to colonise peat bogs, I help thin out ash that is smothering small oak trees, sycamore is just too vigorous for most of the places it grows around here and willow is running rampant on three sites I know of. They all need to be removed or pruned.

I like trees, I love woodlands, but they're only part of the world around me.

The key is 'responsible' use of natural resources.

cheers,
Toddy

trees in your garden are yours, i should have said trees that dont belong to you.The original question wasnt on his front garden but on woodland around loch lomond.I cut low limbs off trees myself as i work for the council but i wouldnt in a wood.And the occasional bit of basil growth.

wistuart

Jul 15, 2008
Scotland
I would also recommend trying somewhere other than Loch Lomond as it's by far the busiest loch in Scotland. If you're looking for a large freshwater loch with plenty of islands to explore I would suggest Loch Awe. It's not that much further away from you than Lomond but is a lot quieter and cleaner. Loch Tay is also very nice but a bit further for you to travel.

Wistuart - noted.
I'd planned on Loch Lomond as I've heard many complimentary words about it. "Stunning", "Beautiful" and so on. I'm aware that most of Scotland can be described that way though.

I'll have a look into Loch Awe and Loch Tay too. I'm sure I'll get around all of them in the end though.

How does Loch Lomond tend to be around this time of year? I expect it will be heaving in the summer months, but I expect most of the crowds would be shut up at home in the dead of winter.
I get the feeling it could be a good idea to Lomond when it's likely to be quieter and then retreat to the quieter areas when the weather is more suited to the crowds.

Welcome to the forum too. :)
I mean, you've been a member for a while, but just 1 post. So yea. Welcome (ish).

wistuart

Jul 15, 2008
Scotland
Thanks for the welcome. At this time of year Loch Lomond will be extremely quiet and with a touch of snow on the hills it's probably the best time to experience it. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole in the summer personally.

One word of caution, which you hopefully are already aware of. The wind can get up to quite a speed on many of our lochs as the surrounding hills often provide a funnel effect for it. If you're canoeing, make sure you check the weather forecasts regularly and plan accordingly, especially if you're likely to be camping out on islands. I do a fair bit of kayak touring and I've seen lochs turn from flat calm to equivelent of force 5/6 sea state in a matter of hours.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hi Wistuart. Welcome to BcUK.

Agree with everything you've said, especially the weather warning.
Bigshot - you might be interested in reading this. A SotP meet from a few years back which seen just the sort of flat-calm to wild change that's being spoken of.

One trick I've found on Loch Lomond is using existing fire rings(there's one in just about every bay:rolleyes: ) then breaking them up afterwards. It tidys up other folks shambles which is never a bad thing.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
You could always have a look at Inchconnachan :D Just be ready for the unexpected :lmao:

Rich,

Wallabies? Really !!? :lmao: :eek: :wow1:
Now I might just have to go back - where'd that neighbour go with that canoe he said I could borrow!!

Now, off to work on some brownie points to justify a couple of days trip to Scotland ! :drive:

wistuart - thanks for the tip about the weather. Having spent a bit of time on water (not nearly enough) I've seen water change quickly, but not that drastically and hadn't thought much about it for the Lochs. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

I'm not comitting to any particular days to paddle out, but even when I do pick days the weather will have the final say - I'm not daft enough to plough on despite questionable conditions.

Lomond does sound lovely with the touch of snow about - I'm all in favour of it being quiet too. I probably will head to some others during the nicer weather. I'm half planning to paddle the Great Glen with my brother this summer. Might take it nice and slowly over a couple of weeks. Other than that though - can you suggest any spots which are good to head to for bushie stuff and paddling that are away from the worst of the crowds?

Grooveski - thanks for the link. I'll read that on my lunch break tomorrow.
Nice tip about the fire rings. I hadn't considered building a fire on top of the remains of someone else's so can clear up both at once. A pretty good idea I think - though I'll be raking it over to start with just to make sure it's not got sharps like broken glass or used needles in it (I don't expect the average junkie would bother with a fire there, but I'd sooner be on the safe side),

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE