wild coastal camping and foraging.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A tip on shooting rabbits and especially wood pigeons. Find a spot where you see either and lay up somewhere in range where you can hide yourself. Rabbits are more reliant on their hearing and woodies on their eyesight. Woodies eyesight is incredible so make sure you are comfortable and in roughly the right position to take a shot and then be patient. When you first arrive fire some test shots at the range that they are likely to be so when you come to take a meaningful shot you know where to aim. Carrying a couple of those plastic woodie shell decoys is also a good idea. They weigh almost nothing. Good luck from an ex-poacher from the Norfolk Coast.

Merlin Leathercraft

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Great to see people out and I know I'm going to sound like a right git but don't eat or make tea with nettles once they have gone to seed they arnt good for you pick the young shots only the seeds contain the chemicals which our body turns into stones errr

Regards Dave (caps lock )

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Great to see people out and I know I'm going to sound like a right git but don't eat or make tea with nettles once they have gone to seed they arnt good for you pick the young shots only the seeds contain the chemicals which our body turns into stones errr

Nettle seeds dried and taken in small amounts are actually very beneficial to health, nettles themselves are good to eat most of the year, we have a fresh flush of young growth at the moment.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
My understanding is to avoid old growth (after june onward-ish) as older larger leaves form crystals called cystoliths which are irritating to the kidneys and these crystals generally form after/ during the plant is seeding ,I agree the seeds are a great additive to salads and such like but anyone who drinks regular nettle tea will know the seeds taint the flavour with a biter taste , I drink nettle tea frequently and agree whole heartedly that nettles are an amazing natural resource with many many health benefits if used correctly and quite simply eating the older leaves that contain cystoliths outweighs the benefits that are simple to make use of by avoiding plants that have seeded .
I defiantly was not trying to put anyone off eating nettles in fact in all for the opposite

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE