Year alone scenario

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I like your thinking:)

That was what you meant wasn't it?;)

I did specify a working farm/ranch girl. As in one who grew up on a farm/ranch, and actively working that farm/ranch. But it can also apply to that other version.;) The qualities (strength, intelligence, perseverence, resilliance, and "toughness") cross many professions with women (as well as with some men).

What I would not want along would be a pampered prima dona who's sole "survival" skill is whining out orders! If she can't take care of herself, or learn to do so, then any other ... benefits ... of having her along aren't worth it.

But then, I'm one of those ... crass Americans ... who believe people are defined by what they do instead of who they think they were born into.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Potable water is not guarantied, even with a well. And boiling water to meet one's daily needs takes a lot of fuel, and the time/energy to collect it. A few minutes using a filter/purifier vs. one to two hours spent gathering fuel and boiling that water. It's a trade-off I would willingly make to pack along that filter/purifier.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Water from the well is fresh safe to drink so no need for filters ect guys.The rifle is a old bolt-action lee enfield with a scope and a 104 rounds of ammo(two shots a week)

Sorry no laptop for you daegurth but you geat tolkien's complete works enjoy!

Mikey P yes you can have a few bottles of Laphroag whiskey(let say five)or your camera and some spare batteries is up to you which one do you want mate?

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
If I read this right, all basic needs are covered, then other than my dog, I would have to take…
The deeds to the place so I can stay there longer.:lmao: :lmao:
No one year is all you get then you get kicked out!You still would have to hunt/trap and forage for food and do things like repair shelter get fire wood.There a few hungry wolfs and bears in the wood just to keep things intersting.Also you would have to survive the winter snows.Also you have just have basic first aid one bad accident and its game over no helicopter out no doctor.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The rifle is a old bolt-action lee enfield with a scope and a 104 rounds of ammo(two shots a week)
Details man we need details - SMLE or No.4 Mk II? Maybe a No.5? With or without Armalon sight mount and scope, .303 or 7.62? Can I have my own old Lee Enfield?

Can't I just have a .22 and a few bricks of ammo?

[/gun nerd mode]

Red ;)

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands
How 'bout a volleyball:) ...........................(it worked for Tom Hanks in Cast Away!)

Wilson.jpg

I'd make my version of "Mr Wilson" and make it a Mrs. (or rather a Miss!) :D

No, looking at all the options above I'd go for a container or water bottle to store my water in when I'm out for a hike and away from my well........The tins are not suitable for carrying your water in.
Or a book about edible plants/herbs...I don't have enough experience at this point without a decent "fall back" and don't want to make the same mistake as Christopher McCandless (into the wild).

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Details man we need details - SMLE or No.4 Mk II? Maybe a No.5? With or without Armalon sight mount and scope, .303 or 7.62? Can I have my own old Lee Enfield?

Can't I just have a .22 and a few bricks of ammo?

[/gun nerd mode]

Red ;)

Just had a look at the rifle in the hut.Its a no 4 and.303 It has some arabic writing on it.Has a armalon sight mount.Sorry not a gun nerd but looks like it would shoot strait and has not been through the wars to much.Sorry you can't take you own guns just have to work with what's there mate.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just had a look at the rifle in the hut.Its a no 4 and.303 It has some arabic writing on it.Has a armalon sight mount.Sorry not a gun nerd but looks like it would shoot strait and has not been through the wars to much.Sorry you can't take you own guns just have to work with what's there mate.

Mine better be in the safe when I get home then!

Here is my No. 4 in .303 with an armalon mount :)

2058748297_0c17190203.jpg

Nice guns :)

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Okay have been think about this and seed is what I would take.So I would start a small veggie garden next to the the hut.First thing to do is start a compost heap so you can improve the soil for you veggies.You would start a heap using leaf litter and whether animal droppings you can find urinating on it and turn it four or five times a day to get it going.Next up tools you could make a pitch fork from a "y' shaped branch to turn the compost heap.Watering would be harder to make perhaps made using large tin can or plastic bottle.I think the main problem would be keeping small mammals like possums away form the patch.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Seeds is sensible, if your staying put (much like at home then :rolleyes: )

would also like, Watering can so I can get a shower :cool:

and If I'm in Scotland Flora Celtica (or similar) so I can spend time getting to know plant uses.

Are you garanteeing no human contact,
Where do I sign up.

:)

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Seeds is sensible, if your staying put (much like at home then :rolleyes: )

would also like, Watering can so I can get a shower :cool:

and If I'm in Scotland Flora Celtica (or similar) so I can spend time getting to know plant uses.

Are you garanteeing no human contact,
Where do I sign up.

:)
I said you the paper work in the post silvergirl.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'd Like an ATV which would help with hunting further afield and allow you to bring back large carcasses same with firewood.
When bored you can play rally round the woods.

Night vision gear would be great in that scenario think of what you could see and watch at night.

Or....How about a blow up doll ..................... then you could play rally round the bush!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Alone?! For a year? Good grief, I like my privacy and let to be alone on (more than one) occasion - but that's a bit too much for (even) me
I'd take my GF as I can't be that long without her: whenever I'm sad or whatever, she brings a smile back on my face and shows me you don't need to take life that serious.
So: the GF, even if it's not allowed - just because I like doing things that are not allowed :nana:

May 24, 2008
Weston Super Mare
For me it would be my harmonnica. I would like something to occupy my self and if I was alone I might get the chance to learn to play it. When I try at home the dogs protest and start howelling. If I was allowed two items it would be paper and pencil. I would not want to take books because in a year I would get tired of reading the same book. But I could write my own and keep a journal.

As for taking a dog. If you want a pet catch something young and it will think of you as mum and then you can still take another luxury item with you.

Great thread, loved reading all the comments.

Sean

Great thread and interesting to read.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Super models and actresses? Naaah, someone of much "sturdier" stock would be much more of a comfort - instead of trying to cater to and take care of such a "high maintenance" person. Those "looks" would wear off quickly. Give me a working farm/ranch girl any day - especially from a small farm or ranch.

Any gun other than a simple .22 becomes not worth the "baggage" toll. There are only a few large animals to hunt for food in any one area to justify a larger gun. And the .22 can handle those if used right. And careful attention to our surroundings negates most defensive needs.

I agee to the selection of possible companions. Someone who grew up in bush Alaska, or one of the top primitive skills persons (e.g. Lynx Vilden) would be a better choice. I don't think I'd even demand appropriate sex; a skilled companion is worth a *lot* more than a possible sex partner.

Rifle/shotgun: I'd go for one of the under/over combos, say 12 ga/.308 (or 6.5). Rifle big enought for just about anything except the big 5 but is not silly for smaller deers, and the shotgun for any small game.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE