Yacon and Oca

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I thought I would separate this post out for those who bought Yacon and Oca.

I planted out my Yacon today as I don't think we will see a frost here now

Yacon Roots by British Red, on Flickr

Planted Yacon 2014 by British Red, on Flickr

The Oca planted a while ago is already showing

2014 Oca by British Red, on Flickr

So this post is just to say, if you haven't already planted out, its time to think about it!

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy :)

My oca is now over a foot high, and it's been outside in two very near frosts and seems to have survived fine.

I'm not saying I'm hopeful, but it's certainly looking as though it 'might' be promising.
Only the final cropping will tell though. They certainly did not look happy the first few days out of the greenhouse....the cold wind was clearly a shock to them :sigh:
I still don't know if we'll manage enough light on them though.

Ach, we'll see; but it's been interesting :D

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you got yours off to such an early start you'll do well off them - plenty of foliage for summer salads and I reckon you will get tubers - 7 months growing is about the minimum so you should be well in :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm hoping, but it gets dark early here; right enough we have long summer days too though, but they're not warm like down south.

I'm going to take one pot up to my Uncle's front garden. He has full sunshine (well, as much as we get :) ) there virtually all day long :approve: while mine is surrounded by trees. Be interesting to see the difference in the results too :)

Seven months though; surely we can manage that ?

cheers,
M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
So this post is just to say, if you haven't already planted out, its time to think about it!

Mine have been out a couple of weeks in various tubs and planters.

Because I've sent some here and there to a couple of relatives I adopted an almost 'forget they're there and deal with them later approach' ~ despite the complete lack of attention they're doing quite nicely. All but one plant has been under a cloche since being potted up :D .

The only issue I can foresee is rust ~ we've had it in the past with a couple of different oxalis :( .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've never had rust on them yet - although it can occasionally touch my onions. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My Oca's are just breaking through, they've been in two weeks on Saturday, I go and talk to them every night which I think is helping :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have planted out our oca tubers into four large pots.
This is the smallest one, but HWMBLT got clear photos of it this evening.

I'm quietly hopeful, but only if the frosts come late.

14013566610_1a253500de_z.jpg

14013603617_9a41f1be26_z.jpg

14013565440_9e03384b3a_z.jpg

Reactions: TeeDee

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Blimey, how long have they been planted Mary? I thought mine were doing well until i saw those :)

I told Carol they were only small too, just a little 10" globe or so, they look much wilder than that.

Any ideas how hard they can be cut back for foliage without doing too much harm?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't take too much yeat Rich - just a nibble. When they get more than a compact football in size you can go at them :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think you probably are doing well Rich. Mine were in first since we have much shorter growing season up here, and it's very much further north than BR reckoned they'd be safe to grow as normal.
I started them off in pots in the house in early Spring.
To be honest, I'm just really pleased that it looks as though they 'might' do well enough to produce something, but whether it's enough to replace the original tubers :dunno: let alone give a crop ? we'll just need to wait and see.
The one saving grace is that the Clyde valley is warmer than the surrounding area, it's a mild, moist environment, and if we get the sun, then it's a suntrap. The whole valley was renowned for fruit and glasshouse grown crops.
On t'other hand, my garden is pretty much surrounded by houses and trees, so....ach, we'll see :) and we'll hope the frosts come late :)

atb,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I reckon yours will do great Mary - they could have 6 months of growing before a hard frost yet - there may be a big bloke climbing down them with a golden goose :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are they supposed to bloom ?
Ours are popping out in buttercup yellow flowers, and the plants themselves are kind of ginormous.
I know I used the compost from our own compost bins and it's worm worked but this is a touch more like spuds than an oxalis, iimmc.

HWMBLT's taken a photo, I'll post it when he sends me the link :)

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes they should bloom - little yellow flowers - nothing to speak of but they do do it in warm weather. I'm surprised they flower in Scotland though - they need to see the sun for the flowers to open :)

Sounds like yours are well away Mary - I'll try to get some pictures of mine for comparison for you, but today is goosegog harvesting. I do love a goosegog!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just gathered a pot of raspberries :D I'm going to make coulis and use it with meringue and cream and toasted oat flakes to make a kind of crunchy cranachan for tonight's pudding.

We've had a fair bit of sunshine this month, well, for us we have, though it's been more a high thin cloud, tbh.
Pretty wee flowers, I really did think they were buttercups at first glance :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE