Yacon and Oca

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think if you bury too deep they won't emerge Mary, thatscwhy some people earth up, to give a deeper growth layer.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just given them a brush off, but haven't washed them. They weigh in at 4.3kgs.

I reckon 35 to 40cm pots have produced the best crop for me.

M

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Okay, a bit later than promised, but I have started digging my oca up. Looked promising as there were lots poking up out of the soil- in hindsight I should probably have put some straw or something over these to protect them as the frost had damaged a few. Anyway, here's a few invthe soil

2hqv0gg.jpg

And a bit later once I'd harvested a few plants

2rz78y0.jpg

I've only pulled a few plants cause I want to leave them for the students to dig. I reckon for each tuber I put in I'm getting at least 10x back- good return I reckon.

Any news on the yakon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Just given them a brush off, but haven't washed them. They weigh in at 4.3kgs.

I reckon 35 to 40cm pots have produced the best crop for me.

M

That looks a really good crop! My lot is nothing in comparison. I think when I try it again this year I'll do some in a container as well to run it side by side as a comparison.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Mine were grown in (large) raised beds filled with good topsoil rather than compost, drainage is good in these beds which I think helped. I did loose quite a few due to them poking out of the top of the soil (which is fine when the foliage is there) and then getting frosted- next year I'll either dig them up earlier or cover them with something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Are these things what we call ka-ka?
What are these? Some sort of starchy tuber/root things?
What's the origin, potato vintage?
For the benefit of us New World kids.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE