Wren canoe build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well I am starting my canoe build tomorrow! Selway fisher wren..

Any last min advice!?

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
This isn't so much advice as a request: PLEASE take LOTS of photos, videos, and notes of how you progress and what you do. I have always wanted to make a canoe or small boat and have yet to gather the necessary courage to just get on with it.

Best of luck.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
4th'd if thats possible - have been looking at making one of these for a while - they reckon 18hours construction time? Think it'd take me 18 months! If you do care to log your progress I would be an avid follower :)

ATB and good luck
Dave

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Only advice I have, and I'm sure you've heard it before, is measure twice and cut once.

A few pics would be nice too. The Wren is a nice boat, you'll be the envy of all the Disco owners at the portages! :)

Al

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Wow! Thanks all I will get as many pics up as I can, I will post them in this thread so keep watching!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cheers all!

The first pic, you can see the canoe leaning against the wall!

d804bfd5.jpg

More tomorrow!

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Have a look on song of the paddle got a section on self builds i found the members on there to be helpful and friendly.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am already on SOTP ;@)

Here are a few more pics from today's activities, only got half a day on it due to my sons first sports day, anyway

Everything laid out and ready for a start
241a0ffa.jpg

Then comes lofting the plans onto the wood, this is in a grid pattern, and as long as you can measure (twice in some cases) this is fairly straight forward.
75688720.jpg

The next stage was joining the dots, this obviously involves curves for the lines of the canoe, I used a length of old plastic weighted down with old paint tins so it stayed in place then drew along it

fb00c977.jpg

Once all the lines are drawn, the jigsaw comes out and each panel is cut out you can just make these out in the picture. The cut panels can then be used as templates to draw out the remaining panels

1f8c0ac5.jpg

The next phase of the operation was very hard work, involving standing in the sun for 2 hrs

f03f0920.jpg

Got an 8am start on the project tomorrow so more pictures to come!

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Hi Dave,
good to see you back on here.
Must say that garage looks rather too tidy for yours, or have you had a clear out since I saw you last?

Cheers, Alan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE