Diy canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Stanley small craft do kits and/or plans. Quite a bit of info on then online, I'm hoping to build one at some point in the future.

Reactions: wookii

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Years ago I built my own "Malamut" open canoe (OK - I helped my boss built most of it in lieu of paying me wages) from paper patterns from Alan Bridges ... but it was long ago, Alan is dead and I no longer have the paper patterns.
It was a great canoe and it lasted a long time and many happy hours of paddling.

Reactions: SaraR and nigelp

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I built my first boat, a double touring kayak, when I was sixteen from an Ottersports kit (stitched ply construction) - I still have and use it occasionally some 50 years later :) It could do with a 'tidy up' now.

I also built a load of fibreglass kayaks for our scout group about the same time (it was supposed to be a group effort but somehow never turned into that :() I must admit I hated that. Getting fibreglass and resin all the way up your arms and in your hair was no fun at all (I'm sure there are better ways of doing it :)).

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Heya Stone14, sorry for the late answer on this, its been a hot minute since I roamed BCUK but I built myself a western red cedar prospector style canoe Canvas on frame. I didnt have any plans or PDFs to work from, but went from scratch and designed and built accordingly.
Might you be looking for inspiration or help I would be more than happy to help you get started.

My biggest pro tip I can give, dont skip on mold/fixtures to get things right the first time.
Its saves more time and money then the other route

Yours sincerely
Ruud van Tiel

Aug 25, 2022
England
I see a Bloke on Youtube build Canoe from Clear Film Wrap I have try remember what the channel was called and what the frame was built from.

Sorry.
Wasn't this Channel

Do remember Ray Mears making a boat not a Canoe from woo, bending bark.
A thing of beauty

Edit:
Ray Mears' Bushcraft S02E01 - Birchbark Canoe

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Oh Stone14, what might also be interesting to look at is the project of a lad called Jonsbushcraft, he has built 3 canoes in his journey in bushcraft and there are some good lessons learned throughout those

Enjoy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE