Would you buy this gun?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No tang safety so not a Mossberg. I would guess at an 870 marine with an aftermarket slug barrel?

If the original poster, Shantale, had given full details this puzzle would never have developed. The question she should have asked was.." What is the value of this Remington belonging to my Uncle, Silus E Chewbacca, please?.........

Yeah definitely a Remington. Possibly an aftermarket barrel but not likely a slug barrel. More likely a copy of the Mossberg police/military barrel.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never seen the point of those big blade foresights on anything but a rifled barrel myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was smooth.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't understand the point either unless it has interchangeable chokes (one of them being a rifled choke to accommodate sabots) But if the owner wanted a slug barrel it just seems they go with a Remington one instead of an aftermarket. That particular blade doesn't look like the Remington rifled shotgun sight that I'm familiar with. .

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ok, an old but not irrelevant tale of a poultryman who put a couple of Aylesbury ducks in a livestock auction. As a bit of a laugh, he put in a Cadburys creme egg with them.

Can you guess which birds got top price that day, and does anyone believe common ducks lay Cadburys creme eggs? (They lay unbranded chocolate things, of course.)

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
That looks like a mariner version of a Rem 870. The oversized feet look like the fake feet you can buy at a party and costume store.

The ghost ring sights, those could be on a smoothbore or a rifled. With the plated barrel, my guess is that it's smoothbore. Pretty much every barrel I have ever seen that is coated like that has been a smoothbore. In the US, tacticool is all of the rage for shotguns and ghost ring sights on smoothbore pumps and semi's are pushed heavily at tactical schools such as 'Gunsite', and hence emulated by many others. However, those sights tend to not be the most utilitarian when actually hunting, especially for critters that fly.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All the "mariner" models I've seen were stainless steel. That gun's not particularly "tacticool." (no tricked up features, no pistol grip stock, no magazine extension, no bayonet lug. No nothing tacticool) It's a close copy of a standard Mossberg military/police model only in Remington.

Last edited:

leon-1

If the original poster, Shantale, had given full details this puzzle would never have developed. The question she should have asked was.." What is the value of this Remington belonging to my Uncle, Silus E Chewbacca, please?.........

Who says that those aren't Shantale's feet, remember that not everyone uses a picture of themsleves as an avatar on Facebook. She was probably born four miles down river of Middletown on the Susquehanna. She was also unusually large for her age when she was eleven or twelve and as an adult is a real man-eater.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
All the "mariner" models I've seen were stainless steel. That gun's not particularly "tacticool." (no tricked up features, no pistol grip stock, no magazine extension, no bayonet lug. No nothing tacticool) It's a close copy of a standard Mossberg military/police model only in Remington.

Most pump shotgun mariner models from shotgun manufacturers are actually plated, not stainless, even if they look stainless. Mossberg and Remington use plated, Winchester (made in Turkey nowadays) uses plated and stainless. With a Mossberg and a Winchester the main part of concern is the barrel since the receiver is aluminum while the Remington's receiver is steel and about a pound heavier. One issue to take into account with a stainless barrel on any firearm used for defensive purposes is that they heat up really fast.

China produces a lot of knock offs of US designed shotguns, but the majority of their knockoffs are copies of the 870. The Chinese military uses a Norinco near-copy of the 870. It's almost identical to the original except for the 5 shot mag tube. A civilian version of the Chinese military 870 near copy is sold as the H&R Pardner Pump.

Ghost rings sights are the cornerstone of tacticool and are not a stock option on most mariner models. If you see how Gunsite rigs their weapons, it's ghost ring sights followed by extra shell carriers and pistol grip stocks are optional. Very few people bother with a bayonet lug on a shotgun these days.

Last edited:
Never seen the point of those big blade foresights on anything but a rifled barrel myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was smooth.

Here we use such stuff with 1 1/4 ounce Federal 3" slug loads. They are incredibly fast to bring into action for bear, and very fast for repeat shots if you've practised enough. The sights are needed and will give 10x10 on 50 metre pistol silhouette chickens or 100 metre javelina - with a smooth barrel. Bears are much bigger, but accuracy counts.
I'm 100% Mossberg due to action release being behind trigger guard - and I once had an 870 break an action bar and jam on me.

I gave my favorite companion to my grandson when I found out he was going to go out hunting with his dad.
It was telling when in Calgary I could only find one source of Federal 3" slugs. Typically most people find them to kick too much, I was told. Anyway I was able to get a few hundred and now I sure don't worry about my grandson and his ability, since we worked our way up through 2 3/4 and 3" shot loads which were available.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here we use such stuff with 1 1/4 ounce Federal 3" slug loads. They are incredibly fast to bring into action for bear, and very fast for repeat shots if you've practised enough. The sights are needed and will give 10x10 on 50 metre pistol silhouette chickens or 100 metre javelina - with a smooth barrel. Bears are much bigger, but accuracy counts.
I'm 100% Mossberg due to action release being behind trigger guard - and I once had an 870 break an action bar and jam on me.

I gave my favorite companion to my grandson when I found out he was going to go out hunting with his dad.
It was telling when in Calgary I could only find one source of Federal 3" slugs. Typically most people find them to kick too much, I was told. Anyway I was able to get a few hundred and now I sure don't worry about my grandson and his ability, since we worked our way up through 2 3/4 and 3" shot loads which were available.

I shoot slug myself, but have never found those blade foresights conducive to more accuracy than a fibre optic bead, indeed, throw in a decent rear sight such as those used in turkey sights and I will happily put lower profile sights against ghost ring and blade at a hundred yards. More importantly, I find the bead means I can still shoot fast and instinctively with foresight only on moving targets. Each to their own of course, but I have never understood trying to turn a shotgun into a rifle. If you want a rifle, take a rifle. If you want a big 500 grain bullet, take a 45-70 guide gun or similar.

I shoot slug myself, but have never found those blade foresights conducive to more accuracy than a fibre optic bead, indeed, throw in a decent rear sight such as those used in turkey sights and I will happily put lower profile sights against ghost ring and blade at a hundred yards. More importantly, I find the bead means I can still shoot fast and instinctively with foresight only on moving targets. Each to their own of course, but I have never understood trying to turn a shotgun into a rifle. If you want a rifle, take a rifle. If you want a big 500 grain bullet, take a 45-70 guide gun or similar.

I hear you on that.

Nevertheless with the Mossberg I can put out five chicken dropping shots much faster than I can with my Dan Wesson .44 with 310 grains - and I was considered a lot more than expert with that, and it's just under the 4lb limit for an IMSA revolver - fully worked and national class.
A 3" magnum slug out of a light shotgun is the same as shooting a .375 300 grain out of a Winchester Alaskan. But the Alaskan is far slower to bring to bear/use and far far slower on repeat shots. Mine now has a worn out barrel which is a pity because I did a full glue job so it could manage our climate - so I do shoot one well. Anyway that's what I have to sleep with now for a while, and I'm sure it will work.

The big point is that I've long been well under 10 feet on a griz and we were all surprised. Close up on a black and I had to back them off, as they were trying to get me to run. We all lived another day.

I would always carry the .375 with heavy Barnes bullets or A frames when we took out little kids, because I was always super cautious then and would have dropped anything which looked threatening at range and which didn't run at the warning shot. I find the .416 Rigby to be too much kick for repeat shots and too much muzzle flash with any loads at dusk - otherwise I'd have one.

I've seen so many people with guide guns who carry them as a token or talisman of survival. Same kick as the slug gun or .375, but the people will not shoot until they master one. Seeing a regular person shooting one at targets is so sad. They are good, just so slow to bring into action and for repeats. And I was expert in cowboy silhouette with everything. I used a 30-30 rifle (long barrel tricked), but I have used everything and we'd haul out ammo by the brick. I've shot 200M chickens with a long 45-70 but that sure takes lots of practise. Go swimming with one as when you are using one for protection while fishing, and you'll see how a lever might open snag and kill you.

Now my grandson knows how to use and trust the old rifle sights on the Mossberg. Next step is that he has to carry it while wading and fishing and soon learns to see that pistol grips and extra shell carriers will drown a person if ever they get swept to a sweeper or log-jam and snag. I've had almost as many close calls with those as with bears. He just got his bronze so he should come out OK. The gun has seen all that sort of abuse for decades. I know it's all controversial stuff - but I gave my grandson my slug gun to use because it works now he can use it. If I worried about it working, then he'd have the .375.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There will always be a trade off between accuracy, reliability and speed. Anything that is 100% reliable will not be as tight toleranced as a 1,000 yard gun (for example). Its why match barrels are both more accurate and less reliable than "mil spec" rifle barrels. There do seem to be inconsistencies with the "received wisdom"of the internet though. I have read the same guy laugh at double action revolvers but claim that no-one should use a semi shotgun. The logic of decrying the semi in one close range firearm and praising it in another escapes me. I know all the logic of the famed reliability (which studiously ignores the "short shucking" common in stress), but I don't buy it. My shotgun be shot in either semi or pump mode and I have had no more ftf in one mode than the other. All the top competitors in IPSC shoot semi. The military now use semi. But people seem reluctant to accept it works. Weird.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....... Each to their own of course, but I have never understood trying to turn a shotgun into a rifle. If you want a rifle, take a rifle. If you want a big 500 grain bullet, take a 45-70 guide gun or similar.

In reference to this particular gun I agree. I do understand however if they're limited by law to only hunt with shotguns. As we've mentioned in other threads, there are some areas where rifles are prohibited due to population density. That said, those shotguns are usually quite a different animal from this one and low power scopes aren't uncommon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE