Worst injury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was wondering what the worst thing is that you've dealt with on yourself, obviously some of you have dealt with some awful stuff but most of us have just dealt with cuts, breaks, burns etc. The worst thing i've had to deal with really has been dislocating my knees, some cuts, being pierced by nails etc, all of it quite straight forward really if you can reach them.

Anyone been caught out and had to patch themselves up? What was it and how did you handle it and were there any longer term affects that you had to prepare for such as say hypothermia....

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
not a very exciting one this.

Lopped a big bit off the end of my finger with a hatchett whilst messing around when I was in the scouts. For some reason we didn't have a first aid kit on the site so i improvised with tissues and electrical tape to hold then end of my finger on. There was no panic just a strong thought I really need to stop the bleeding. That seemed to do the trick. Just changed the tissues and tape for a better dressing that evening. Didn't go and see a doctor as it seemed to be healing on its own. The only long term affect was to teach me dont mess around with sharp objects.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I was once waiting in traffic when the small truck in front mounted the kerb to get round a bend. The wing mirror hit a young lad of 18 or so in the face and peeled his flesh away...:yikes:

His flesh was just left hanging, intact, but not attached. I had a FFD in the car kit and calmly placed it over the injury and asked him to hold it in place whilst I called an ambulance.

The lad was a star, just sat on the kerb until the ambulance arrived. They asked him to remove his hand so they could see what the problem was, but quickly asked him to put it back again until they had time to unpack all their gear!

Never did find out what happened to him as I had to get to a job so didn't hang around once the ambulance arrived!

Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aged 20 I leapt across a single strand electric fence and landed badly (slid in cow muck) and bent my rt knee 90 degrees the wrong way.
I straightened it out but had to strap it tight to stop it flopping around as I finished the 15 miles of the Pennine Way I was doing that day. Strangely enough it did not hurt much. The next morning I saw a GP who said I had pulled a muscle... in fact on later examination I had torn the Lateral, Median and Cruxiate ligaments, dislocated the fibia (not reduced for about 15 years - thanks for the attention to detail NHS) partially torn the cartalidge and torn lots of muscles.
I still managed to do all in all 40 miles after the accident before I called it a day - this was when I left the nice limestone turf for peathags again!
Long term effects - severely twisted up back that lead to me almost losing the use of my right arm as the nerves were crushed between the displaced 1st rib and collar bone (sorted by my chiro after the NHS said "here are some pain killers - watch more TV and dont be so active!"), worn out left knee from over-compensation - and I still have a rt knee that dislocates now and then, plus a bad back!
I still enjoyed a career in outdoor persuits!
It is all catching up on me these days though.......

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
My worst injury was a result of a motorcycle crash, someone in a 4x4 pulled out on me and i did not have time to stop.

Among the large list of other injuries the most serious was this....... ( i must say it is graphic so if your a little squeemish or just about to have your dinner i wouldn't look)

rta230410015.jpg

rta230410.jpg

It took the paramedic and ambulance over an hour to reach me, I basically had to lash my leg together with my belt but was very lucky that the femoral artery was not damaged

Long term problems with my legs are, damaged nerves = no feeling down the front of my leg, damaged knee caps = struggle to walk far or carry much weight.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Not life threatening but boy did it sting !

At work one day and managed to nail my finger to the floor with a nail gun !!! Dont ask how It was a stupid mistake on my part!!! after a lot of swearing got the nail out and patch up the fnger !

Long term affects of this ( boy do i have more respect for nail guns )

Jason

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My worst injury was a result of a motorcycle crash, someone in a 4x4 pulled out on me and i did not have time to stop.

Among the large list of other injuries the most serious was this....... ( i must say it is graphic so if your a little squeemish or just about to have your dinner i wouldn't look)

rta230410015.jpg

rta230410.jpg

It took the paramedic and ambulance over an hour to reach me, I basically had to lash my leg together with my belt but was very lucky that the femoral artery was not damaged

Long term problems with my legs are, damaged nerves = no feeling down the front of my leg, damaged knee caps = struggle to walk far or carry much weight.

Sweet!
nice sewing!

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
This is going to ba an interesting thread i think.

My two pence;

I was about 14/15 and one of my mates passed out from heat exhaustion and i had to carry him as best i could over about a mile or so of rough moorland to a stream and some shade. Probably wasn't life threatening but i did it anyway. Probably did more damage to myself really.

Does anyone else get that ringing in their ears during a serious/life threatening situation?

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
This is going to ba an interesting thread i think.

My two pence;

I was about 14/15 and one of my mates passed out from heat exhaustion and i had to carry him as best i could over about a mile or so of rough moorland to a stream and some shade. Probably wasn't life threatening but i did it anyway. Probably did more damage to myself really.

Does anyone else get that ringing in their ears during a serious/life threatening situation?

The ringing in your ears is your blood pressure going up so am told

Jason

Feb 6, 2011
none
My mate and i were gathering firewood for a camp last summer, we were about 50 metres apart , it was a lovely summers day so shirts off, i just happened to look around and i did not recognise him his facial features were like that of a neanderthal man, isaid you ok Keith and he said he was struggling to see and breath , i could tell by the very look of him it was serious. Fortunately i had my 4wd in the next field, raced over and by the time i got back he was sat down talking jibberish, i managed to bundle him into the pickup ,some how keeping a cool head but my heart was pounding and mind racing as what best to do ,as we pulled out of the field into the track he was making the most strange noises and was obviously unconcious.I drove as fast as i dare to Ashburton cottage hospital about 5 miles away ,screeched up outside the entrance ran in shouting for help.2 nurses came running and helped get him out of the truck ,1 ran in and phoned a paramedic who was at home in Liverton about 10 mins away thank god. Any way long story short filled him with drugs ambulance to Torbay loads more drugs , turned out he had been bitten by wait for it .. a horsefly and had gone into anaphalactic shock. Felt pretty pleased with myself when the paramedic told me i had saved his life by my actions.All a bit surreal and the maddest thing of all was he came back and camped that night!! but now has to carry a pen thing where ever he goes. one very scary and wierd day.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
everything seems to happen to my right side, stuck axe in right ankle(who hasn't) caught right index finger in blender, but the best was whilst our on a walk round the ridge line to the south east of Lochnidorb(sp), slipped and fell onto my Right leg, felt a dig of something on my thigh, stood up to find no puncture in my trouser leg just a twig of burnt heather or gorse sticking up out the ground, carried on feeling a bit silly, got back to the car parked near the lodge and my right sock felt squidgy, lifted trouser leg to find blood had covered the inside of my trouser and soaked my sock, dropped trough, found a five inch gouge in the side of my thigh about an inch deep and oosing life. sat on drivers seat and wrapped me thigh in a bandage with a bit of packing in the gouge, and then drove to Kinloss where a very nice duty medic agreed to treat me before sending me to Elgin for some stitches. Wifey was more angry that I hadn't just nipped into the lodge by the Loch instead of driving back to camp, than the fact that I had been away for five days instead of the two I had said I would be!

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
My mate and i were gathering firewood for a camp last summer, we were about 50 metres apart , it was a lovely summers day so shirts off, i just happened to look around and i did not recognise him his facial features were like that of a neanderthal man, isaid you ok Keith and he said he was struggling to see and breath , i could tell by the very look of him it was serious. Fortunately i had my 4wd in the next field, raced over and by the time i got back he was sat down talking jibberish, i managed to bundle him into the pickup ,some how keeping a cool head but my heart was pounding and mind racing as what best to do ,as we pulled out of the field into the track he was making the most strange noises and was obviously unconcious.I drove as fast as i dare to Ashburton cottage hospital about 5 miles away ,screeched up outside the entrance ran in shouting for help.2 nurses came running and helped get him out of the truck ,1 ran in and phoned a paramedic who was at home in Liverton about 10 mins away thank god. Any way long story short filled him with drugs ambulance to Torbay loads more drugs , turned out he had been bitten by wait for it .. a horsefly and had gone into anaphalactic shock. Felt pretty pleased with myself when the paramedic told me i had saved his life by my actions.All a bit surreal and the maddest thing of all was he came back and camped that night!! but now has to carry a pen thing where ever he goes. one very scary and wierd day.

Scary thing is anyone can develop a anaphylactic shock to something they were once immune to.... Epi-pen's are a good addition to a first aid kit

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Scaldered hands was kind of messy, skin loosening and everything. A big gashing wound on the thumb muscle was another messy affair, thank god for strips. That's the worst I've encountered in the bush, if we're talking more civilian stuff I had to attend a big burn on my back, sized as three of my palms, that was really bad, needed some medical attention, spent two days in the hospital for that one. I have set my nose once when it got smashed. Numerous cuts in eyebrows, hairlines, under the chin (thaiboxing can be messy at times, luckily I never got cut, but me club mates have). Once scraped the whole side of my thigh when I crashed on my road bike. Hmm, and once I gave cpr to a drunk outside a bar, that was absurd, a crowd formed a ring around the poor fella, but they just stood there, nobody lifted a finger, really infuriating.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well done mate as ever quick thinking saves lives. All the training in the world goes out the window when dealing with live hands on casualty. One of the hardest things is to stop yourself running around like a Tw@. Again well done.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Thanks big swede, didnt know you could buy them ! one on order as we speak not cheap though 49.99 and only 8-10 month shelf life , but no exageration it could save a life .

Geordienemisis , thanks for kind words , i just went into auto pilot, he kept saying i will be allright in a minute, good job i ignored him . as i said bit wierd but didnt really hit me until paramedics/nurses were doing their brilliant stuff.

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
everything seems to happen to my right side,

I know what you mean, for me its my left hand; it's like a pit stop for sharp saw blades, glass, soldering irons, dog's teeth, other peoples feet one and one time whilst feeding a big chipper my cuff got caught on a big branch and i had to yank it out to stop myself losing it; got nasty scrape form another sticky out bit of the branch but i kept my hand!
I despise those machines; always feels like such a waste some of the nice wood i've had to put through there.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
In the early 90s i was staying overnight in a mountain bothy in glen dessary on my way to knoydart.

I decided to go look for some fire wood without my boots on, so down by the river i spotted some on the other side .

Half way back over with a good load of wood in my pack
i slipped of a rock and hit my ankle sending me face down in the river.
I limped back and got the fire going to dry off and put my foot up.

The next morning i just got my boot on and set of towards fort william .
from the bothy to the main road is 23 miles along loch arkaig.
I managed to get a lift from there to the hospital in fort william .

So after an overnight stay and a nice new plaster and a pair of crutches i was off down to the station for a train home . I had broken a bone in my ankle and still manged to walk for a day .

So what did i learn from this , walking with crutches and a 35lb pack is dam hard .

Craig............

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So what did i learn from this , walking with crutches and a 35lb pack is dam hard .

Craig............

Try coming back from the South of France with a 120 liter rucksack, a 100 liter tote bag, a daysack, 2 canoe paddles, a canoe pole, 2 crutches and a leg encased in a groin to ankle support with ally struts....as I said - my knee still dislocates now and then....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE