Worst injury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
i hit myself in the ankle with an axe. chipped and exposed the bone and was off work for around 6 weeks. didn't hurt as much as my ego did tho, felt like a right t*t
:)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Try coming back from the South of France with a 120 liter rucksack, a 100 liter tote bag, a daysack, 2 canoe paddles, a canoe pole, 2 crutches and a leg encased in a groin to ankle support with ally struts....as I said - my knee still dislocates now and then....

Your ok John i think i will give that one a miss ! Dosn't sound like much fun.

I'm off to take pictures os some scars.

Craig...................

Think my worst injury was nervous breakdown.
basically everything stressful happened at once
left one job working as a care worker to become a tree surgeons labourer, the safe afternoon i told the agency to shove off i got a call saying dont leave its fallen through, bit late by then!
split up with ex at same time period, tried to start a business doing garden work, stopped eating properly stopped lseeping properly, started self medicating heavily(certain herb)
ended up being taken to the local psych hospital and spent six weeks in there getting treatment and another year and half off work whislt the medication worked on me then a slow return to work at part time hours then increased hours slightly and now been full time for over a year.

long term effects? the medication i was on increased my appetite so i ballooned from 9st to 16 st so weight loss was a nightmare, i am now at a healthy 12.5 stone although if not careful or have an inactive period it creeps up quite fast.
i still sweat like i did when i was 16st which isn't pleasent.
I am more aware of the dangers of stress which is one of the reasons i get out in the woods whenever i can to destress.

I lost a lot of so called friends and had to deal with the negative comments/behaviour of people when the words nervous breakdown are mentioned.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Think my worst injury was nervous breakdown.
basically everything stressful happened at once
left one job working as a care worker to become a tree surgeons labourer, the safe afternoon i told the agency to shove off i got a call saying dont leave its fallen through, bit late by then!
split up with ex at same time period, tried to start a business doing garden work, stopped eating properly stopped lseeping properly, started self medicating heavily(certain herb)
ended up being taken to the local psych hospital and spent six weeks in there getting treatment and another year and half off work whislt the medication worked on me then a slow return to work at part time hours then increased hours slightly and now been full time for over a year.

long term effects? the medication i was on increased my appetite so i ballooned from 9st to 16 st so weight loss was a nightmare, i am now at a healthy 12.5 stone although if not careful or have an inactive period it creeps up quite fast.
i still sweat like i did when i was 16st which isn't pleasent.
I am more aware of the dangers of stress which is one of the reasons i get out in the woods whenever i can to destress.

I lost a lot of so called friends and had to deal with the negative comments/behaviour of people when the words nervous breakdown are mentioned.

What doesn't break you makes you stonger..... you now know who your true friends are, you also know the stress isn't worth the hassle. Afterall you work to live, not live to work...

i wouldnt either. its not as fun as it seemed i must admit.i was 23/24 when it happended and apparently it is a common age for men to experience mental health issues.
the scariest thing about mental health problems is that insanity seems like a more clear way of thinking.
but my time off did lead me to surfing the net and stumbling on here and getting out and about in the woods more so its not all bad,

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
Aye i've considered myself 'out of the woods' (for lack of a better phrase) for about six months now and i'm only 18; seems weird as i feel like an old man by now. Part of my interest in bushcraft still stems from my old conviction that the apocalypse is just round the corner.

As markie says; what doesn't kill you.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
from the age of 14 i have been a bit clumsy

ulna and radius snapped, jaw dislocated - didn't do the wheel nuts up on the front wheel of my bmx
fractured ulna, snapped scaphiod - playing bulldog
seperated sternum - fell off my bike
3 broken ribs - an armchair was thrown. to be fair i did throw one first.
broken ankle - jumped off a small retaining wall
broken toe - judo
2 snapped tarsals in my hand - trying to punch the lights out of an opposition flanker. (he blew me a kiss and carried on playing)
snapped fibia - rugby
most of my fingers broken - rugby
thumbs dislocate at will - rugby
ended up in hospital with a suspected broken neck - rugby

long term effects, possibly brain damage cos i'm still playing rugby.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Well manoftanith , hats off to you sir , a brave man indeed ,the stigma still attached to mental health issues are appalling , if you or somebody close to you has never suffered from stress/panic attacks/palpitations/ then you are very lucky . it takes weeks/ months to manifest itself and by the time you are at your wits end and either seek help from desperation , or are helped by worried friends /relatives etc, its not an over night recovery and as you have said the self medication of weed or alcohol or both, have to be stopped before the climb begins. it takes a minimum of 8 weeks for prescription drugs to have an effect and they are not a cure only assist. if you are very lucky and the gp you get has an understanding or perhaps strong interest in stress/ depression etc it can take even longer ,anyway i will shut up now glad you are well ,and top marks for raising the issue. When your arm is broken you know where you stand weeks in plaster maybe an op bit of phisio you understand. But when you think you are going mad you struggle to get to grips with it. sorry if i have ranted

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
I managed to shoot myself point blank in the thumb with a .22 precharged air rifle once.

The pellet entered through my thumbnail and stopped 2-3mm short of going clean through fortunately it took part of my t-shirt with it so a quick yank pulled the material out along with the pellet, there wasn't any pain at this stage and I think the t-shirt stopped it going all the way. I called at the doctors and was immediately directed to A&E where an x-ray revealed the bone at the tip of my thumb to be in 3 pieces! after an overnight stay I had surgery to put it all back together, basically they took my thumb nail off lined everything up and sewed it back on. The nail fell off a few weeks later and luckily everything healed nicely and the nail grew back despite damaging the nailbed slightly.

Looking back on it I think of it as a good thing, its taught me (the hard way) to have respect for these tools. I'm infinitely glad I learned this lesson on an air rifle!

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
My worst injury was a result of a motorcycle crash, someone in a 4x4 pulled out on me and i did not have time to stop.

Among the large list of other injuries the most serious was this....... ( i must say it is graphic so if your a little squeemish or just about to have your dinner i wouldn't look)

rta230410015.jpg

rta230410.jpg

It took the paramedic and ambulance over an hour to reach me, I basically had to lash my leg together with my belt but was very lucky that the femoral artery was not damaged

Long term problems with my legs are, damaged nerves = no feeling down the front of my leg, damaged knee caps = struggle to walk far or carry much weight.

I swear that open wound is smiling at me. :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
When i was twenty I fell off a mezanine floor in a warehouse and broke my left arm , well broke dosn't quiet cover it .
I shatterd both bones in my forearm and dislocated my elbow , after a 10 hour wait and lots of drugs i had a 6 hour operation to fix it .
they put in 2 plates and about 20 screws , the next day i was back in theatre so they could make sure my elbow worked ok i was awake for this one
loads of morphine and 2 rather nice nurses to hold me down and it was still in agony .
I have a nice 8inch scar and a 6inch one .
125nt.jpg

126jb.jpg

I was of work for 6months 2weeks and 3 days not that i was counting or anything . I had some real problems with the bones knitting as they were in so many small bits .
The surgeon said that i was lucky to be able to use it again.

Craig....................

Last edited:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
in my youth i was a cutter for a butchery chain, while trying to bone out some semi frozen lamb, my very sharp boning knife slipped off and into my stomach wasnt that bad really. but i did ham it up threw a cup of ox blood onto my apron just to see the look on a trainee's face, it was worth it :D
mind in later life as a firefighter, i did see plenty of horrendous injurys, but they're in a little box locked away.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've managed to avoid serious physical injury apart from the odd bleeding wound from a slip, and breaking my little toe when I was aged 7 (my mum didn't believe it was broken, and made me walk 3 miles to town, and back. She only took me to the doctor after I cried all the way, both ways). However, like one or two others, mental injuries are a bit different. I had long-term depression culminating in a near-thing of a suicide attempt a little over two years ago, and I was only finally discharged from treatment for it last month. 100% cured, and I felt like I'd won the lottery.

No scars to impress the girls with, but life is fun again for about the first time in a decade. Getting out into the country helps hugely, and there's nothing like having to rebuild your life from the ground up to help you focus on what matters to you. This site is a great help.

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
Broke my neck in a car crash. Thought my neck was rather stiff and sore but went to work the next day. (Oh to be young and stupid again).

Broke one of my teeth and loosened it somewhat. It was excruciatingly painful and I couldn't get an appointment with a dentist for days so I pulled it out with a pair of pliers. (Again young and stupid).

Knocked myself out headbutting a bus stop sign. It was freestanding on a concrete base and I thought I could knock it over. (Drunk and stupid).

Out running along a path descending down a steep sided valley. Slipped, freefell some distance and landed on my bum with quite some force. Managed to absorb some of the impact with one outstretched arm which split the head of my radius in two. I also ended up with two slipped discs in my neck. (Just unlucky).

Well manoftanith , hats off to you sir , a brave man indeed ,the stigma still attached to mental health issues are appalling , if you or somebody close to you has never suffered from stress/panic attacks/palpitations/ then you are very lucky . it takes weeks/ months to manifest itself and by the time you are at your wits end and either seek help from desperation , or are helped by worried friends /relatives etc, its not an over night recovery and as you have said the self medication of weed or alcohol or both, have to be stopped before the climb begins. it takes a minimum of 8 weeks for prescription drugs to have an effect and they are not a cure only assist. if you are very lucky and the gp you get has an understanding or perhaps strong interest in stress/ depression etc it can take even longer ,anyway i will shut up now glad you are well ,and top marks for raising the issue. When your arm is broken you know where you stand weeks in plaster maybe an op bit of phisio you understand. But when you think you are going mad you struggle to get to grips with it. sorry if i have ranted

No rant there more people need to be aware of mental health issues they affect one in four of us.

And its not a bravery thing it happened to me and was a major wake up call.Mind you most of my mates would tell you i am still mad :)
the comment about when your arm is broken is very true and people dont understand a broken mind in the same way they understand the broken arm. there is often a just pull yourself together attittude from those who dont understand it. as for doctors well mine was understanding but only because my family took me into the psych hospital at around 2am and demanded i was admitted(i have been told this i have no personal memory of the night i was admitted or most of the six weeks i was there and my memory is pretty good other than that six weeks)
it was seven years ago i was admitted and two years before i felt well enough to go back to work. seven years on i have held down a job for five years(longest ever job) got two nvq's through work a beautiful fiancee a nice house and our firstborn due in may. it might take years to recover but it is achieveable.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Good to hear you've recovered! I have more experience than I'd like with suicide attempts and it's good to seem someone who's come through fully recovered; gives me hope for 4 of my friends (yep 4)

Thanks Ivan. I would now say to anyone with depression etc, get treatment. Even if you don't want it (I didn't), get treatment. Even if you've had treatment before and it didn't work (twice, in my case), get treatment. There's more than one treatment out there, and one of them will work for the person concerned. It is just a matter of finding the right one. I no longer think it is a matter of "It might work". It will work, when you find the right one.

For me it was Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). Benefits were almost immediate, but the treatment suited me. Good luck for your friends.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Not life threatening but boy did it sting !

At work one day and managed to nail my finger to the floor with a nail gun !!! Dont ask how It was a stupid mistake on my part!!! after a lot of swearing got the nail out and patch up the fnger !

Long term affects of this ( boy do i have more respect for nail guns )

Jason

does that make it a 'finger-nail' gun then??

just a thought.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE