Wool Blanket Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok, I've not had much joy on the web so I will ask here
before I start cutting can anyone direct me to any good sites about making a blanket shirt before I start doing it my own sweet way?

Any pointers would be gratefully received as currently the plan is to fold it in two and allowing for seams cut around a Swanni I know fits and then just cut a head hole in what I hope is the right

ATB

Tom

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
........ currently the plan is to fold it in two and allowing for seams cut around a Swanni I know fits and then just cut a head hole .......
ATB

Tom

Thats pretty much how I made my first ventile smock - which, despite being a very amateur looking piece - outperforms any coat I've had so far.

Just think the process through and make lots of notes and sketches before you cut your material.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My "Blanky Hoody" is shown in my Avatar.
I cut the body in one piece on the fold with a keyhole shaped hole for the head, the main part of the keyhole is an ovalish shape 2/3 in front of the fold line 1/3 behind the fold.
The sleeves are separate rectangles, like slightly truncated triangles (I wanted extra long sleeves to act as hand warmers when folded down so could not fit it onto the blanket in one) and the hood 2 rectangles (off cuts) which I tailored by rounding off the point at the back of the head.
Have fun!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A bit of inspiration here , although i would like to see some closer shots of Mr Fenna's.

http://www.shrewbows.com/wool_shirts/

Has anyone found a nice Blanket supplier? The Surplus shops are great for value but i 'd like to get some with some patterning in if possible.

Anyone?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmm - I looked but there are no other photos that show any detail...very basic realy..I worked out the pattern (?) from a "dark ages" pattern on the web...somewhere...
Sorry I cannot be more help.

pwb

How about starting with a sewing pattern for fleece hoodies and adapting it to your own needs, making it longer or adding pockets for example.

Pattern 5538 in the link looks useful.
Might give you a few ideas for neck holes , sleeves etc.

Here's even more insperation :), from Empire Canvas Works.

wbs2.jpg

Cheers,
Pete.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
How about starting with a sewing pattern for fleece hoodies and adapting it to your own needs, making it longer or adding pockets for example.

Pattern 5538 in the link looks useful.
Might give you a few ideas for neck holes , sleeves etc.

Here's even more insperation :), from Empire Canvas Works.

wbs2.jpg

Cheers,
Pete.

I bought 2 metres of woolen cloth at a re-enactor's market and am having the same decisions to make before I make the first cut. I was going to use my favourite fleece as a pattern but go for what I think is called a placket neck and no collar.

Still working up the courage to cut...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks All, the links etc have been a great help and I have started on hybrid design hopefully pitched at my skill level.

For what its worth heres my attempt so far....

First off I spent a while ironing the blanket flat on both sides. It had obviously been washed a few times so I didn't bother to wash it to shrink it.

I selected a shirt I knew fits me as a rough template. I folded the blanket and pinned it before marking off a rough outline.

Shirt01.jpg

I alowed a good inch for the seam and a generous amout to allow for a loose fit. I will probably make the effort to alter it to fit it better when it is done rather than try and get it right straight off.

I then cut it out and marked the centre/middle for later marking out the head hole.

I then used the arm as a template for the sleave, pinned and cut that and used that as a template to make the other arm.

shirt02.jpg

shirt03.jpg

I've also cut out a pair of wide cuff sections in case the sleaves are not quite long enough and a 5 inch strip to give me the option of making a low collar.

shirt04.jpg

For no good reason I've kept the label and once it has been finished and probably dyed green will sew it inside.

shirt%20label.jpg

I'm just off to find a suitable oval to cut a head hole (Thanks John for the 2/3rds infront advice!) and then will start sewing it up with some linen thread.

Since I will be hand sewing it there will now be a pause while I make lots of holes in my fingers....

Cheers!

Tom

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Tom , when i made mine i did it exactly as you are thinking of doing it added a front hand warmer pocket and a neck tab then hand stitched the whole thing turned out very well (in my opinion)

singleyin001.jpg

kept it nice and long in the body its really warm bit of kit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cut the neck hole a lot smaller than you think you need. Remember the front slit opens up to twice it's length. It only needs, in total, to go over your head, but it finishes fitting your neck measurement.

Best of luck with it,

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I've had enough sewing for tonight and its come along quite well, not as hard as I feared anyway.

shirt05.jpg

I'll take some detail photos and make some observations later. The head hole is just big enough to go over my fat head and when I've done the hems etc I will sew some little rope eyelet thinggies for a draw cord. It will look alot better when its dyed a nice deep green.

To make a pattern for the neck hole I simply used a piece of paper on a clip board stuffed up inside of a T shirt that is a comfortable fit and drew the shape of the hole onto it, making sure to mark where the shoulder seam was. To alow for my crap drawiing I then folded the paper and cut out using the best looking side to make sure it was symetrical.

On the vague note of sewing, I made the middle son a scaled down flax haversack from a linen cushion cover from a charity shop, the sort with a pattern printed on for someone to embroider. He's pleased with it anyroad.

Teds%20haversack.jpg

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Today I sewed the main seams, which was pretty straight forward.

Points to note.

With such thick cloth safety pins worked better than normal sewing pins.

Carefully drawn chalk lines made it much easier lining up parts, especial when putting the arms on.

With the main body inside out I removed enough pins so that I could insert a sleeve, wrist first until it was entirely inside the body. Before this it is very important to turn the sleeve so it is right way out and iron it into shape. I took some care in lining up the arm hole seams on the body and the sleeve before pining them in place, starting at the top of the shoulder and working down both sides. I then saddle stitched through the chalk lines making sure I was only stitching through two layers at any one time. I used double thicknesses of linen thread, tying off every few inches for added strength.

I blanket stitcthed the raw edges, if I had been using a machine I would have taped them but by this point my fingers were falling off!

shirt06.jpg

When I turned the body the right way out the seams were miraculously all on the inside.

When I stop squinting I will do soime more!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE