Wool Blanket Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
shirt07.jpg

Well, it's finished, less dying a decent colour, the neck opening ended up too small to merit fitting any sort of closure so I used some heavy cotton 2 inch tape to bind it (and put on the hem).

Because of the huge belly it looks crap on me but the square cut design of most blanket shirts would fit fine on most people. It is naturally very warm.

It's certainly given me some good practice in working with heavy wool.

Cheers,

Tom

Anybody knowledgable about dying yellow wool dark natural green?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! The wife wanted to put black splodges on it as she says (particularly before the arms went on) as I look just like Fred Flintstone in it...

With a sewing machine I bet they take under a hour to make from start to finish.

As well as a exercise in recreating a historical garment I'll be using it as a semi disposable Swanni arond the fire. It's as shrunk as it is going to get so it can be safely chucked into the washer and for a outlay of £1 and a few bits I had laying around its no biggy if it gets totalled. I've kept the left overs for patching anyway.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers Chris!
they are dead easy and it only took me so long as I (a) went all anal retentive, doing very small hand saddle stitches and (b) it is huuuuuuge, XXXL at least. You could easily get away with much bigger stitches done with very thick thread. A whip stitch http://www.holiday-crafts-and-creations.com/whip-stitch.html would prevent the edges fraying rather than adding a seperate line of blanket stitches.

To all,

Now it's done can anyone advise on how to dye it a good strong green idealy to a colour that looks like a natural dye. If it wasn't already factory dyed yellow I'd have looked into dyeing it with a natural dye but since its been done that yellow already...

Would a blue do it or does it need to be a green with a larger blue element that usual to allow for the yellow starting point?

Thanks!

Tom

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dylon cold dye with a load of vinager as a fixative should work well.
Wash your garment first and tripple rinse to get rid of dirt, oils and the detergent....
I dye my big stuff in my canoe barrel....
As to colour....difficult to judge realythough a bluey green should give a "Woodland" green. When I dyed a Day Glo Orange merino wool blanket black dye turned it Russet.
Remember that you can always redye something to tweek the colour, so if your bluey green dye is not strong enough you can then redye with a weak blue, ir if it is too blue, with week yellow etc etc until you have a decent colour.
Nice work though mate - I machine sew all mine:)

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Nice work! Glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read your Fred Flinstone comment!

I think I'd like to see a pic of you wearing it a la Fred.

Magentus

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've still not dyed it. I'll get someone to do a pic of it on me some time, bellowsed up over a belt. The shoulders fit awfully but as a functional garment it works fine.

I've not worn it in the rain yet, I may proof it once it is the right colour and I have scored some of the lanolising wash.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Shopping for the kids presents I was in Hobbycraft today and got some Ocean blue Dylon to dye it (hopefully) green and some dark green to dye it again if it comes out too light.

Wish me luck!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, despite my careful washing and then dying (used both packets at once as there wasn't enough water to cover it with the amount used with one packet) itys has come out with a darker blotch on one shoulder and a bit light over all. When I get the internet link back at home I will stick up a pic of it. I left it for a bit longer than the instructions said but kept stirring (OK 50% extra).

It's still usable but in future I think I will make stuff from pre dyed material rather than do it myself. It cost 5 quid to dye a shirt that cost £! for materials. Still, all good experiance!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Back on line at home so heres the pics of the finished blanket shirt, not so blotchy under the flash. Still looks like poo as the square cut design isn't flattering for huge gut!.

BlanketshirtDyed01.jpg

BlanketshirtDyed02.jpg

Its very warm and suprisingly comfortable, not as itch as I'd thought it would be!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE