Woodlore knife thoughts...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
at the end of the day, its 4mm thick O1 with 28deg zero ground scandi grinds, maple scales and rays name on it selling for 350, you could sell this knife and make back a huge ammount of money, and buy a far classier, more functional knife thats designed for you, not somone else, your in a fortunate position to make the choice :)... just my take anyway

If that's the case then no knife should be worth more r than the sum total of it the material used to make it?

W

waldorf

If you can afford to buy the knife mate it`s yours to use, sell, or just keep. At the end of the day it`s your choice. IMO it would be nicer if you could just buy the knife and sheath without all the trimmings, but I suppose that`s business.
And don`t forget this is the original Woodlore knife, the knife on which anniversary, imitation and variations have all been based on. And the reason Mr Mears name is on the blade is not some loose endorsement, but testimony to the major input he had in the design of the knife he had Mr Wood make.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
firfly i was lucky one came up before xmas for £260 i baught it as my main user knife and that is what i do
if you can afford it have it,
and look at it or actually use it is your choice but it was designed to be a user inmo or is it just about making a profit regards dave

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
If you are worried/unsure - then you get the knife and i'll pay you exactly what you paid for it.

regards
max

Got this last week from Woodlore

TBH I'd forgotten I might be even close to the top of the list as it has been something like 6 years of waiting, I kind of thought they'd forgotten about me and have in the meantime been collecting a few sharps. And the price has gone up a lot. I think a similar albeit unbranded knife from Alan would be significantly less, but I could be wrong. So the big question...

Worth going for it?

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Interesting comments. Don't want this to descend into a Woodlore slagging session though with hindsight some of that is inevitable I guess. I'm going to get it and stick it in a drawer for a while whilst I make up my mind what to do with it. I am not so keen to sell it on because it is a classic in its own way and I've waited so long for it I need to at least be able to get it out and fondle it for a while!! I doubt it will get used as I have plenty of other users. It was certainly ordered with use in mind, but things have moved on now.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Interesting comments. Don't want this to descend into a Woodlore slagging session though with hindsight some of that is inevitable I guess. I'm going to get it and stick it in a drawer for a while whilst I make up my mind what to do with it. I am not so keen to sell it on because it is a classic in its own way and I've waited so long for it I need to at least be able to get it out and fondle it for a while!! I doubt it will get used as I have plenty of other users. It was certainly ordered with use in mind, but things have moved on now.

Nowt to be ashamed of keeping it a drawer. I do the same with mine and will never use it now. It's a great bushcraft collectable and an iconic knife and if you eventually do sell, then you'll make money.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
for £350 notes i could have 2 or 3 made, and could make 10 for myself, yes it is a good blade, yes it will hold its value, but is it really worth it????????

IMO over rated sellers making a mint, have a custome one made from another smith....... :)

but thats just me......lol

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
for £350 notes i could have 2 or 3 made, and could make 10 for myself, yes it is a good blade, yes it will hold its value, but is it really worth it????????

IMO over rated sellers making a mint, have a custome one made from another smith....... :)

but thats just me......lol

Keep it and get a custom one made :headbang:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool

For £350 you can fondle my wife for a while.....on second thoughts, I'll swap yer the knife for my wife?

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
FOR GOODNESS SAKE MAN! Get it, sell it at profit and buy a custom at the exact same spec and pocket the change. It's easy money mate from my point of view, you'd be mad not to!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
IMHO that is a truly staggering price for any knife.However I guess the question has to be "Are you going to get £360 worth of pleasure out of owning it?" whether that be from keeping it in a box in a drawer and just stroking and polishing it now and then,or from taking it out in the bush and cutting stuff with it.If you have enough cash to buy it and the answer is "Yes" then buy it and be happy.If not then someone else will have to ask the same question.
Cheers , Simon

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

My thoughts are it's the simple economics of supply and demand. Demand for a AW Woodlore is High. Supply is restricted and the wait is lengthy.

You are in a good place being at the front of the waiting list. As long as Demand / interest remains high and supply remains restricted and the new price remains the same or greater than what you are being asked to pay for it currently then the knife will command / retain it's value. TBH you could probably use it and over time barring any major mishaps it will regain the value you paid for it and probably appreciate.

The same was true a good number of years ago when some of us bought WS Woodlores for 90.00 GBP and watched as they went up crazily in price.

The arguement as to the 'real value' of a AW Woodlore is one we have discussed many many times and is really without a definative answer and I'm not sure is a pertinent part of this question.

Some folk think one thing some folk think something else such is life.

If the UK Bushcraft Bubble bursts, AW starts knocking em out at 100 a week and Woodlore starts selling em for 50 GBP then you might have problems. How likely this is I'm not sure.....:rolleyes:

Good luck in your decision whatever you decide to do...

ATB

John

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent

I think you've done the right thing. looking back if you had not have bought it you would have regretted it. You can now easily get your money back or even make a profit.

Better to have and not want than want and not have. Enjoy your purchase. Can we have some pics please?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE