Woodlore knife thoughts...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Got this last week from Woodlore
We are very happy to inform you that your name has now reached the top of
our waiting list for the Alan Wood-made Woodlore Knife. This knife comes in
an exclusive presentation box, along with a Fire Stick and your choice of
either a hand-stitched leather belt or neck sheath. The entire set is priced
at £350.00 plus £10.00 for P&P (Royal Mail’s Special Delivery service is
used in the UK).

TBH I'd forgotten I might be even close to the top of the list as it has been something like 6 years of waiting, I kind of thought they'd forgotten about me and have in the meantime been collecting a few sharps. And the price has gone up a lot. I think a similar albeit unbranded knife from Alan would be significantly less, but I could be wrong. So the big question...

Worth going for it?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It's an interesting way to run the waiting list. Most places run an order book by fixing the price at time of order. Mind you if you don't want it I am sure you could buy it and sell it on at a profit, seems to be plenty of folk that do. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if your PM box is filling up with offers right now.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Got this last week from Woodlore

TBH I'd forgotten I might be even close to the top of the list as it has been something like 6 years of waiting, I kind of thought they'd forgotten about me and have in the meantime been collecting a few sharps. And the price has gone up a lot. I think a similar albeit unbranded knife from Alan would be significantly less, but I could be wrong. So the big question...

Worth going for it?

Clearly you have got by in the mean time with other kit which is likely to be a lot cheaper, unless intended as a collectors item or you wish to sell it on, it seems too expensive for anything to use in bushcraft.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would get the knife and sell it on after.

It's a shame they are so expensive, I have owned an AW Woodlore as well as a WS one and found them to be fantastic knives. very comfortable, very well made and as much as other knives of the same design are nice, the AW one just felt "right" when I used it.

But at that price, I just couldn't bring myself to use it.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
hmm ,prehaps your can get a list of people to split the cost with, treat it as a closed pass around, finishing with it returning to you a yr later or so

i would say unless money is particularly tight at the minute buy it.
as has been suggested you can sell it on, use it or maybe just take it out the draw stroke it in a gollum type manner and put it back.
personally i want to own one for a collection i have in mind one of each style recommended by big outdoors/bushcraft icons ie mr mears nessmuk kephart etc
mind i would still use it as i am daft like that

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Nope, it was a four year old AW Woodlore. Unused though.

Blimey - the world has indeed gone well and truly barking...

EDIT:
I'd meant that tongue in cheek with regards to potential investment value :rolleyes:

Basically if you can find the cash to buy it then you can afford to use it if you want to since its future value is always going to exceed your current spend.

I'd go for it at the current price whether I liked the knife or not - preferences and return on investment don't need to always agree and if the Woodlore is a knife that happens to honk your hooter then it ticks every box instead of simply being a money spinner come re-sale.

Seems like an easy choice, funds permitting.

Last edited:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
at the end of the day, its 4mm thick O1 with 28deg zero ground scandi grinds, maple scales and rays name on it selling for 350, you could sell this knife and make back a huge ammount of money, and buy a far classier, more functional knife thats designed for you, not somone else, your in a fortunate position to make the choice :)... just my take anyway

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The last knife I got from Alan Wood directly was £310 without firesteel, so if you commission a knife from him now, it's not too different a price from the Woody.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE